Cargo Hands of Hope Eyeshadow Palette

4.9

on 11/12/2009 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is my favorite purchase of the year! I'd never tried Cargo eyeshadows before but I'm glad I took a chance with this palette. My two favorite palettes before this were both Urban Decay (Ammo and Deluxe) but now I find that I reach for Hands of Hope first. The fact that it's bumped those two from the prime spot says a lot!

First of all, the palette is huge and the pans inside are packed with a lot of product. The palette is almost 7.5" tall and wide and 1/2" thick, much larger than anything else in my stash (but it's worth making room for its awkward size)!

Second of all, the shadows are gorgeous and there's a great variety of colors that can be combined in so many fantastic ways. The color names below are as listed on Sephora's website, the descriptions are mine.

- Vibrant Purple
The name is accurate. I compared a swatch of it with Urban Decay's Ransom and it's much brighter. It's almost a marriage of Ransom and Fishnet, if you imagined them blended together the way they look in the pan (but not blended together on the skin, Fishnet doesn't have enough pigmentation).

- Fern Green
Very similar to UD Mildew, but more green. Mildew is more olive/camo but both are about the same in tone and have the same level of shimmer with gold reflect.

- Frosted Cool Brown
Beautiful glowy shimmery taupe, enough said.

- Nude Pink
Similar in shine and tone to UD Sin, but less pink. This is my new favorite shimmery highlight eyeshadow for the browbone.

- Midnight Blue
This looks much brighter in the pan than it does on the skin. I would usually only consider using a small touch of blue (like as a bottom liner) and then only on rare occasions. But this one has enough gray that I've actually used it in the crease (way outside my normal comfort zone to even try that). It's subtle enough that folks won't point and say, "look at that girl's blue eyeshadow!" (That's a good thing in my book.)

- Gold
A very pretty gold with solid pigmentation and sheen. I like it better than UD Honey which is a little more mustard and it's a truer gold than Smashbox 24K which has a little tinge of copper. The differences are obvious in comparison swatches but the three might be considered interchangeable with each other.

- Aqua
This shows up much darker than it looks. In the pan it's a pretty aqua that looks like seafoam, but applied it's a bright teal that's almost identical to UD Peace. I think they would be gorgeous used together as the color is the same but they reflect differently. Not colors I would usually wear, especially not to the office, but I might experiment on the weekend cause they're so pretty next to each other!

- Warm Reddish Brown
A pretty accurate description, this is a warm reddish brown. If UD Smog and Shag had a love child, it's the same color as Shag but darker like Smog.

- Gunmetal Gray
I was hoping this would be similar to UD Gunmetal as that is one shadow I'm lemming but haven't purchased. This is similar but it does have a very slight blue cast to it. I'd consider it almost more steel blue than gunmetal, although it looks completely gray in the pan. I don't mind the blue tinge so I'll use it as I would Gunmetal.

I highly recommend this palette. I marked I would buy this again, but I can't imagine needing to as there's so much product it'll take me years to use it all up (and I still have a lot of other palettes that I haven't come close to hitting pan on). But if this was ever lost, I would immediately replace it!

Lovely palette..Full size shadows for only $29! Pigmentation is surprising great...nice colour selection because there are some neutral and some more playful colours...they blend well also! This is a steal!!! Get it before it's gone, ladies!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

great product for9 shadows for $29 u end up paying $3.33 per shadow, not only that but theres 3 grams of product per eyeshadow compared to a MAC which has 1.5 grams. the color pay off is good not as great as lorac or mac but for the price its still makes the product 5 lipsticks out of five.

on 11/14/2009 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this a few weeks ago and I've used it every day since. The shadows are very pigmented and go on beautifully. Buy it.

on 11/15/2009 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I'm not a palette girl in general (there's always that one shade that you *know* you'll never use, right?), but the purple shadow in this palette caught my eye. And it is a beautiful true shade of purple! Gorgeous. What surprised me was just how much I adore the other shades in this palette! Even though they're bright, they're completely wearable. The quality of the shadow is also top notch. And for $29? It's a steal!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

AMAZING!!! The shadows are very soft... think.. Stila Kitten! Pigmented, creamy, and just overall amazinggggg. Every single eyeshadow I will use!! Normally in a palette there is one I just skip over, but this palette is going to be very well loved!!!!!!!!!

I bought this because of the beautiful packaging and the great price, but now that doesn't hold a candle to the how impressed I am by the product inside. Having used it, I would pay three times as much to buy it again if I had to! The colors are varied enough that I pick this palette up regardless of whether I want something neutral or bold and colorful. The shadows are creamy, blendable, true to thier appearance in the palette and pigmented but buildable so I can vary the intensity. Plus it looks pretty on my vanity (I have it upright, like a book, leaning against the small drawers I use to organize my makeup, so i get to appreciate it often)! If you're thinking of buying this, just get it. You won't be sorry.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is the best cosmetic purchase I have made all year. I was astonished by how large this palette is. The book itself is about 8'' x8''. All of the shadows are full size. The quality of the shadows is exceptional. They are smooth, shimmery (but no chunks of glitter) and very pigmented. I particularly enjoy gunmetal- it's the best grey I've ever used. There is a small mount of fall out with a couple of the colors (gold, purple), but it's minimal. Definitely worth their price tag.

OMG, the picture on Sephora does not do this palette justice! I have to say it was love at first sight. I have never tried Cargo eyeshadows before and at $29 on Sephora, it's definitely a steal! The palette is huuuge and the pans are packed with a lot of product. The colors are so vivid and pigmented. I find they are very versatile and great for fun looks. The packaging seems a little excessive. Don't get me wrong, it's adorable. It is just so big! Don't think I'd be carrying this around.

I highly recommend this palette!

Wow! I am totally blown away by this palette!

They are full size shadows, so it's fantastic value for your money.

My only complaint would be that the book/palette it comes in is rather huge and doesn't seal closed. That makes it a little hard to take with you on a trip etc, but is great for home use.

The colours are stunning. I can see myself using all of these on a regular basis (perhaps except the vibrant purple and light tealish-blue).

The shadows go on nice and smooth and are weightless.
They have a nice shine/sheen to them without being loaded with glitter. Easily blendable.
They are well pigmented, but go on lighter than my Urban Decay BOS2 palette. I like that you can build to a darker finish, rather than it being full-on.
I especially enjoy the taupe (top row, 3rd shadow from left).

A great purchase.

I hope to buy more Cargo!