Aquolina Pink Sugar Sensual

Aquolina Pink Sugar Sensual

3.9

on 12/21/2012 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Sensual is more restrained and refined than Pink Sugar (which while delicious, occasionally makes me think of a cheerful young thing who doesn't notice she is talking too much and too loud).
It's still sweet and cozy, but the sugary notes are subtler so the scent is more nuanced. I was delighted to detect a soft spritz of juicy fruits at the top and the absence of that burnt, bitter licorice note in Pink Sugar. There's also a noticeable soft brown-sugar note in the baked-goods heart that I absolutely adore.
I do see a resemblance to Fantasy (which I also love) in how the fruits are interlaced with an intense candied sweetness and a hint of florals, woods and musk. But Sensual's juicier topnotes don't stick around as long as the quince-kiwi-lychee opening of Fantasy. It cuts quickly to the darker vanilla-sugar heart and is also a touch less sweet and rich.
On me, this lasts a good 7-8 hours, but it wears much closer to the skin than Pink Sugar so it's not going to attract as many compliments (or complaints) unless you reapply often. I love that it's a sweet scent that works in hot weather, and never feels inappropriate even in a professional setting. I've received multiple compliments on this from both genders.
One minor criticism is they didn't put as much effort into the presentation despite the price being the same as original Pink Sugar. The box design is cheap-looking black lace print topped with a plain black lid, as opposed to the adorable textured pink swirls, cuter canister lid and bottle cap on original Pink Sugar.

on 3/19/2011 4:12:00 PM

Pink Sugar Sensual does not share much with the original Pink Sugar aside from packaging. It's the same bottle but with black accents rather than pink. Okay. It's also very sweet, but much more floral rather than foody. Both have the same vanilla-licorice anchor on them, but whereas Pink Sugar is filled out with carmel-spun-sugar-baked-goods, Pink Sugar Sensual is filled out with sweet, nearly nauseating florals.

I have this love/hate relationship with the original Pink Sugar. I love it when it dries down, love the warm sweet fragrance it leaves in my clothes and hair, love the lingering sugary vanilla... and hate how strong and headache-inducing it is initially, hate how obvious it is I am wearing it, and hate how men seem to really dislike it. Pink Sugar Sensual had the promise of something more adult than Pink Sugar, something that makes up for all of Pink Sugar's deficiencies, but it doesn't do that. It smells very much like something you would expect to smell on a teenager, with the depth and lasting power of a body splash, though it does smell nice and I have been complimented on it. Because this is light and pleasant I will use up my 30ml bottle, but I won't consider repurchasing.

Top Notes: Blackcurrant, Mandarin, Bergamot, Orange blossom
Middle Notes: Pink jasmine, Tiare
Base Notes: Vanilla, Toffee, Sandalwood

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

PINK SUGAR SENSUAL opens with fruity scents of currants and tangerine. Sweet, but not to the point of being sticky and sickly sweet. The currants are stronger on me, but the tangerine note is still well developed. The bergamot must be closely intertwined with the tangerine, because I don't pick up on it.

The initial fruity blast burns down with ten minutes, but a undertone of the currants [and possibly raspberry too] lingers throughout the heart and base of the fragrance. The floral notes are powdery and light and the juicy sweetness of the berries make everything seem breezy, laid back and casual. The jasmine is the strongest floral on my skin, followed by the orange blossom. I still can't detect a hint of the bergamot, but the note of tiare flower is sweet and creamy and adds to the vanilla which seeps up from the base.

The long note of vanilla and the berries linger from the softly floral heart and carry through to the base, giving PINK SUAR SENSUAL a lovely warmth that whispers "come closer" to passers by - making this perfect for people who work in public based settings as you'll seem even more approachable. I'd read that black sugar contains molasses and I was keen to see how it'd be represented in a EDT, but between the vanilla, berries and softly creamy sandalwood, I can't separate any other sweet notes used.

Black currant, tangerine, bergamot, orange blossom, pink jasmine, tiare flower, vanilla, black sugar and sandalwood.

The bottle is a clear glass with a black ribbon motif. Rather plain and cheap-looking, but at least the bottle shape and embalm makes it easy to grip the glass and spray the nozzle. The bottle is the same as the original Pink Sugar, only that uses pink ribbon in it's design.

This is really long lasting - it's just as good as the original Pink Sugar. I wear mine to bed and can still smell it in the morning, for an EDT this is fantastic.

The fruitiness makes this a good choice for daytime and the light florals mean you can safely wear it to work; It may not be the most sophisticated choice for work, but I've received loads of compliments on it. I personally think it's too quiet and not unique enough for evening wear, but if you plan on hitting a packed club then the fragrance's lightness could be good for avoiding scent-induced headaches.

Being fruity and light I class this as being better suited to spring/summer; For such a sweet fragrance it isn't sickly or cloying, even in hot weather. Having said that I do wear mine all year round and have never suffered ill effects and the scent doesn't change in different weather, which many fragrances do.

First things first; PINK SUGAR SENSUAL smells startlingly close to Britney Spears Fantasy - and by startlingly close I mean that when I spray one of each on each wrist I can barely tell the difference. In fact the only real difference is that Fantasy is heavier and contains a few more sweet and cake notes.

So if this isn't unique what is the point in buying it? The lasting power is unbelievable for a mass-market EDT. One spray and you're sorted for the day [or night]. Not only is it long wearing, but it's also light and non-sickly. Round this off with the fact that the individual notes don't develop differently during different seasons and I'm sold.

If you like gourmand or oriental vanilla fragrances such as Fantasy, Can Can, Falling In Love, Angel, Black Star or Princess you need to give this a try!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Pink Sugar Sensual was one of those "I MUST HAVE THIS" perfumes! I smelled it at Sephora, and sprayed it on, and couldn't stop thinking about it all day and all night long, especially when I returned to work from my lunch break after sampling it, and at least 3 people told me I smelled amazing and what was I wearing?! Thats when I returned the next day to buy my very own bottle. It has a slight Pink Sugar reminiscence, but with an exotic fruity twist to it. More sophisticated?Hard to explain- I'm not good at analyzing scents like some are on here :) All I know is, it's my current favorite, and I can't get enough!! I also fell for the packaging, too, which comes in a cylindrical casing (like the original) except this is all pale pink but with a gorgeous black lace wrapping imprinted on it. My bf says I smell "intoxicating" and he can smell me in his car after I've been in it and he LOVES that. Totally chic. Delicious.

on 12/19/2009 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

While I'm absolutely a sweet scent person, the original Pink Sugar doesn't float my boat like you'd expect, because I personally detect a prominent burnt/plasticky note somewhere in there, at least when it's initially sprayed. Pink Sugar Sensual on the other hand is pretty much the original, but without the "burnt" note, and therefore it suits my taste perfectly. Instead of the plastic undertone, it has a sweet fruit note that makes it much fresher and less cloying than the original. My only complaint is that, while staying power seems great, after a while I can smell more of the fruit part and less of the sugary vanilla/caramel.
In any case, I can totally see this as my new Spring/Summer frag.

on 5/11/2015 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got a compliment on this yesterday from someone standing behind me at the Mother's Day buffet -- a lady in her 20's-30's, who was juggling her 2 young kids. She told me, "You smell good! Your perfume smells so good!". She didn't ask, but I volunteered the name to her. At that point in the day, I couldn't really smell it on myself any more, but I guess others could.

Launched in 2009, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Black currant, Mandarin
Heart Notes - Pink jasmine, Orange blossom, Tiar�
Base Notes - Sandalwood, Vanilla, Toffee

I also own original Pink Sugar, and the Sensual flanker is *very* different, in my humble opinion -- in a good way -- I like it much better. The "burnt" note of the original PS is completely absent in Sensual (yay) -- and Sensual is much more smooth, soft, and skin-musky -- like a soft, smooth, puffy cloud of light vanilla skin-muskiness. The original is good but tends to give me a headache if I don't use a *tiny* amount -- but Sensual is softer & muskier so that it doesn't give me a headache.

It's almost like 1/2 soft vanilla and 1/2 skin musks -- with an airy-creamy pillowy smoothness and cloudlike quality -- it almost smells like a bath product rather than a spray perfume. Not overly sweet or sugary, it's actuallly very easy-to-wear, soft, feminine, and nice -- and it can work well for any age, I think. Similar to Katy Perry "Meow" and Paris Hilton "Can Can", which I also really like. All are pillowy soft vanilla-based perfumes.

I just bought this perfume today at Costco... I was so torn between this one (Pink Sugar Sensual) and the original Pink Sugar. I have owned the original Pink Sugar before and really enjoyed the scent. My ex never really noticed or complimented my perfumes before but I have a distinct memory of him telling me how amazing I smelled when wearing Pink Sugar. But as for Pink Sugar Sensual I have never owned or even smelled it before. I decided to google some reviews while shopping today and then I took the plunge and bought it without having smelled it. I'm so glad I did! It smells sweet, but not the same sweetness as the original Pink Sugar which sort of has that burnt sugar/cotton candy smell that can be sickly sweet. Sensual is more subtle but still very strong in all the good ways. I read a review that compared PS Sensual to Britney Spears Fantasy, which I have never smelled... But I think it smells similar to Paris Hilton's Can Can or KINDA similar to Victoria's Secret Vixen but less fruity. It's sweeter and less powdery then VS Dream Angels Heavenly. The dry down is reminiscent of Juicy Couture's Viva La Juicy but not as much berry and gardenia. I hope this is helping, I suck at describing scents so I'm trying to just go off of what I have lol. I can't stop smelling where I sprayed PInk Sugar Sensual... I'm LOVING it. It reminds me of another perfume I used to wear but I can't put my finger on it right now, ugh. I will update when I figure it out :)

Look for this in Costco, right now it's only $28 for both the 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette and the rollerball!!

Packaging- meh.
Price- yay!
Scent- yessss... love!

Yesssss!!

Big fan of Aquolina's Pink Sugar, and spied Pink Sugar Sensual at Marshall's, so grabbed it. Boy, am I glad I did!

It's a sexy, softer, powdery version of Pink Sugar. Sweet black currant, with a bit of orange that sneeks into the notes, and buttery sweet vanilla (not overly, though....just enough vanilla). I love the gourmand scents, and this is a real keeper. As the notes settle down, I love to smell the underside of my wrist and arm because it exudes such as cozy, comfortable feeling.

I'm thinking that I'm gonna go back to Marshall's and get that last bottle tomorrow, fingers crossed that it's still there!

Get it. You'll lurrrve it!

on 12/18/2011 6:24:00 AM

got a sample of this from ulta, and all i can say is im in love :) this stuff smells sooo good i want to lick my arm when its on. my boyfriend even loves it, and he doesnt usually comment on my fragrances. it's not too sweet like pink sugar, and it has a little more of a grown up feel to it. i like pink sugar as well, but sometimes its just overdone. this gives me the same pink sugar notes as the original with a little more spice. love it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I don't get any watermelon or liquorice from this at all. This smells divine - it's sweet like the original Pink Sugar, but warmer and smells more of caramel and vanilla. This scent is simply delicious, I can't get enough of it. And the staying power is great as well. I recommend this to everyone who likes sweet scents. :)

Popular Fragrances