E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 8/7/2017 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This is a very good basic powder. I always end up buying this because you get a ton of product for only 6$. It is a bit drier on my skin which is why it isnt my favorite powder.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 8/4/2016 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This was my first loose setting powder, and I was really unimpressed with it. I have prominently yellow skin (I'm Asian) with a greenish, olive undertone and this powder just did not agree with my skin tone. The flash back in photos are absolutely horrible enough, but even under natural day light, I could STILL see the white cast making me look so ghastly greyish and sick. It's a very smooth, mattifying powder, but the initial matte effect doesn't last long. I live in a humid, hot subtropical weather, and this kept my makeup on, but I still produced oil profusely. The jar is really really nice, it's a secure plastic jar, comes with a good sifter and a very quality powder puff; alas, it's too bulky and not something I can just toss in my bag and carry around for touch up. Not to mention, whenever I got under the sun, the dreaded white cast would show up. I also gradually figured out that my skin was more dehydrated than I thought, this powder doesn't absorb oil that well but it just sucked every last bot of moisture off of my skin, I was just not happy with it in any way. I couldn't stand it any more, so I passed it to another, moved on and never looked back.

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 3/5/2016 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I generally use this powder for baking (undereyes, eyelids, around mouth area, between eyebrows) so my foundation doesnt crease. I use maybellines fit me foundation. I really like this powder for day time/everyday use. But DO NOT use if you are going to be taking flash photos, you will have a white cast appear. And the puff thing that comes with it, i dont use it with this loose powder but the days i dont feel like baking i just want to powder my face. Ill take my Stay Matte powder by rimmel and use the puff to press the powder onto my face.

on 1/10/2016 9:06:00 AM

I really enjoy the transparent shade of this powder.
It's super soft and blurs pores and fine lines, sets concealer and foundation perfectly and makes your skin look and feel silky.
The coloured version was disappointing and washed me out completely, however for the price, if you're looking for a really cheap, yet good quality powder to set your makeup, the transparent version is great.

I do have a problem with the packaging however, the sheer messiness of it puts me off using the product yet i somehow always end up applying it almost everyday.
A high end alternative is the Too Faced Primed and Poreless Powder.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Allow me to spare a few souls from potentially enduring the tragic embarrassment I faced by using this powder:

I've owned this product for nearly a year now, but didn't actually use it until June of this year. I was attending my brother's graduation - a day I knew would be picture after picture and I wanted to put my best face forward. HD powder sounded like the right product for occasion, right? Wrong.

I have a medium/tan skintone. I dusted the powder *lightly* over my face and neck (it's stark white and on tan skin I found that even a little excess made me look almost ashy). In the mirror, I looked great! Okay, maybe slightly lighter than my usual tone, but Indians are always trying to look fairer than they really are, so I can't say I minded.

The graduation ceremony ended and the picture taking began... Flash after flash until I was nearly blind. I left feeling confident that I'd acquired at least one good shot for my new profile picture. I decided to take one last selfie with my bro - with the flash on - and what I saw was horrific.

My face was white in the picture. WHITE. As if I had been wearing some sort of theatrical white face paint. Hands shaking, I took another without the flash, this time. I dared to look...I appeared normal. It wasn't my face, really. It was the flash of the camera on that wretched HD powder!!

I bolted to catch my family, grabbing their phones like a maniac and deleting every white, pasty faced image of myself that I could find. Crazed with fear of my ghostly face showing up on Facebook, I chased after anyone else who may have captured a shot of my brother and I with his friends.

They escaped. My mission continues...

on 5/3/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Great powder with great finish. Can be a little "ashy" looking if used with a heavy hand. Taking the time to buff this product in is worth effort.

on 4/9/2015 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I just got this yesterday because I had read it was a great dupe for the NARS translucent setting powder. While I haven't purchased an HD setting powder before for reference, I was pleasantly surprised when I applied it over my concealer and foundation. It did give a nice airbrushed look and didn't take much. It also leaves a matte finish but didn't look dry on me. For $6 USD at Target, you can't go wrong with this purchase. I used it on top of Kat von D tattoo concealer and Lock - It Tattoo foundation.

on 12/22/2014 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This powder is amaZing it left my skin nice and matte not dull or cakey you have to be light handed with it though or it will leave a white cast the only thing I hate is the packing it's bulky and you definey have to be careful with it or it gets messy but I love and btw the price was $6 you can't beat