E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Green
E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.9

Eh, this is okay. It's very much a no frills kind of powder.

Pros:
-it's dirt cheap
-cruelty free
-does a pretty good job of setting and mattifying my face
-doesn't break me out
-sturdy plastic jar

Cons:
-It's a loose powder, and it gets EVERYWHERE
-doesn't seem to last me very long because of that

I've been through a few jars of this stuff. Tried different brands from time to time, I find myself coming back to ELF every time.

on 2/13/2017 3:13:00 PM

I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. I'm really on the fence about it, leaning to NO. I tried this powder today (not the first time) and it was just awful. I had to wash my face at lunchtime and redo my makeup, it was that bad! I used a puff to apply and it just didn't work.

As others have stated, it's not finely milled so you get some chunks here and there. Applied with a brush, it's just awful unless you have a VERY light hand. Use one of those duo-fiber brushes to pick up only a tiny amount (and none of the chunks), and dust your face lightly. If I do that, I get a very nice, poreless finish. When applying with the puff, a light hand is also necessary, otherwise you end up with a white cast.

The price on this powder is great. The packaging is the worst I've ever seen for such a product. The holes are too big and too much comes out. If it goes in your bag, be careful before opening it cause it will fly all over the place. Not a great powder for on-the-go. I'm going to keep trying with the duo-fiber brush and see if I can get my moneys worth from this. I will not repurchase it, though.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

very fine milled powder , works great for setting my foundation, doesn't make me look pale . it's a great price for what you get i just wish the sifter was a twist shut like bare minerals or even the ulta mineral foundation because God forbid this thing to be tossed around in a hand bag a few times lol

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have tried many a loose powder and have rarely been disappointed, but this powder is probably the quickest to use, in terms of mattyfing and setting foundation/contour. It picks up easily and evenly and you don't need to layer it on heavily for it to set the face. It is silica-based, which makes it a little lighter than talc powder and less prone to cakeyness. It creates a very smooth base for your other powder makeup (bronzer, contour, blush) to grab onto and blend out evenly on.
I use a big powder brush or kabuki brush to apply this and "bake" my undereyes with it. It is white, but once blended out it is totally translucent and does not cast a "white mask" over the face like some translucent powders do. It is truly translucent and did help keep my foundation/concealer on my face for a solid 8 hours without it becoming greasy or separating.
The price is very low, and you get a hefty amount of product for the price. I don't use the powder puff included, but sometimes they work well to apply powder evenly so I'll give it a shot next time. The case it comes in is bulky, like all loose powders, but it is a twist-off lid so it feels more secure than other drugstore loose powders.
Overall I am very pleased and impressed with how well this powder applied and how matte but breathable it is. It doesn't look cakey even after hours of wear, so I will definitely continue to use and repurchase!

Worst product I've used yet. It gives a decent finish, affordable price. But it gives a noticeable white cast, very chalky, way too much shimmer in it. The worst part was I broke out terribly from it, I usually get no breakouts, but when I do I get small pimples, but this gave me deep huge ones, I tried it a few times to make sure and it was definitely from this product. Then it gave me a horrible rash all over my entire face, I had to actually go to the doctor it was so bad. And I used nothing else besides this, so this was the cause. Be careful using this. I'm surprised because the eye powder is good, whatever is in this is very harsh and cheap so please be cautious.

on 6/24/2016 8:50:00 PM

This was the first loose powder I used to set my makeup. Its ok and you do get a lot of product for the price. It's decent but nothing spectacular. I've since started using coty airspun and think that gives me more of a flawless finish. I still have some elf powder left but probably won't use it up and would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have crazy oily skin and I use this with the Goss method (primer then powder then foundation) and it really keeps my oil under control! It does leave a white cast if you're not careful but my foundation is a smidgen too dark so I am not too fussed about it.

The packaging is awful so I listened to the other reviewers and only punctured a few holes through the sticker rather than remove the entire sticker.

Packaging is terrible, as if it is meant to sit nicely for its entire life and never get tossed in a purse. Found it became cakey and i don't have the oiliest skin ever. The worst is the white cast it creates. I see some have had success but i went back to my MUFE HD.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my first experience with an HD powder, and it's alright. There are definitely some issues with it, like the fact that it's not as finely milled as it could be. I see some big chunks sometimes mixed in. The packaging is bulky, but I can live with it so long as I don't have to travel with it, and I don't travel much at this time. I usually use this as an all over setting powder so that my foundation stays in place by doing the swirl, tap, buff method I used for many years with BareMinerals foundation. I put that I would purchase this again, but I may be on the lookout for a better setting powder once I run out of this. Can't beat the price though.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm honestly not a fan. But to be fair... I own the Makeup Forever version & that's not "holy grail" worthy to me either.

Here are the pros:
-Very fine powder
-A little goes a long way
-Did keep me matte for half a day

Cons:
-The packaging is god awful...I have lost half of this merely to opening the damn jar.
-Offers no extra coverage (obviously)
-Despite using a minimal amount, I get the dreaded white cast look. And I'm SUPER pale...I can't imagine this looking okay on anyone tanner than NC15. I'm NC10/super pale leaning warm/neutral.
-It is a tiny bit cakey, especially after it melts into my pizza-face.
-My ultimate favorite setting powder is Coty Airspun, ELF did not out preform it by any means. Coty keeps me matte ALL DAY, adds extra coverage, gives a final polishing look to my foundation,
-Since my sebum wasn't kept completely at bay, I could feel little whiteheads pop up days later. :(
-ELF adds more dimethicone than MUFE's $$$ version. It is a cost reduction strategy but unfortunately shows in quality comparison.

I won't repurchase.