e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Brown age: 30-35
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 1/17/2018 11:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I do like this powder because it’s lightweight and helps hide my pores. I have very dry skin so I used the NYX hydrating setting spray afterwards. I don’t know if that helps or makes this powder null but i love how I looked at work all day so I will be using this in conjunction with the hydrating primer and NYX Hydrating setting spray. For the price of their products I have nothing to lose. I will recommend this to my friends and buy again. Forgot to mention I didn’t use that puff it came with I actually used a smaller brush and buffed it around my face.

on 8/16/2016 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Nice product, close to my HG powder which is the NYX one, but I wish the packaging was different. I have no idea how to improve it as all of the loose powders seem to have this flaw, but if only the packaging weren't so terrible (as in, it gets product everywhere), I'd rate this higher. That being said, there are other loose powders with worse packaging so that part is a universal issue.

Not as finely milled as the NYX powder in my opinion, but truly translucent, which is great. Requires a little more blending than the NYX but not much, and truly does set my makeup for most of the day. Nice product overall.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

4.5 stars
I bought this in Sheer over a year ago and use it regularly, and I still have well over half left. So you definitely get your money's worth with this product. Also, it's so finely milled that it doesn't get that weird shimmery or cakey look that some of the more expensive HD powders can get.

I knocked off a half star because it does get messy when it collects around the edges of the lid due to the way its packaged, and it can also be super easy to over apply.

* In order to not over apply this, I dip a brush into the powder and shake off the excess product into the lid. Then I use a DIFFERENT brush to swirl inside the lid and pick up just enough to swipe over my face lightly. This method prevents me from looking like a clown, and works like a charm with other loose powders as well. :)

on 3/5/2016 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I generally use this powder for baking (undereyes, eyelids, around mouth area, between eyebrows) so my foundation doesnt crease. I use maybellines fit me foundation. I really like this powder for day time/everyday use. But DO NOT use if you are going to be taking flash photos, you will have a white cast appear. And the puff thing that comes with it, i dont use it with this loose powder but the days i dont feel like baking i just want to powder my face. Ill take my Stay Matte powder by rimmel and use the puff to press the powder onto my face.

on 11/29/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

on 9/26/2015 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I did not like this powder at all it just did not work well with my skin however I love the packaging and the blotting sponge that comes with it! I've actually dumped out the powder and use other powders in the container that I like because I love the packaging so much. This powder really didn't do much for my skin at all and I never reached for it. I've always reach for other loose powders. I don't recommend this product at all. It didn't do anything special for me and it did leave my face looking a tad bit ashy and a little bit cakey but not heavily, I would spray my face with fix plus to eliminate that issue. But over all not a fan of this product. A definite thumbs down.

on 8/21/2015 10:39:00 AM

I have heard many compare this to the MUFE HD one. While they are similar products, they are not the same. I have both. The ELF one has more than silica in their list of ingredients. MUFE, the ONLY ingredient is silica. Now, having said that, I do find that the ELF one is easier to use. With the MUFE, there's a lot of powder that kicks up, and every time I use it, I have to try to avoid inhaling the product but i always do. I don't have that issue with the ELF one which is a plus. As for performance, I don't really notice a difference btwn this and the MUFE one. The ELF ones gives a great finish, blurs pores and controls oil very well.

One major gripe i have with this powder is the packaging. My god it's AWFUL. I know that loose powders are messy but this one in particular is dreadful. It's as if the lid doesn't screw on properly so when you go to shake some out of the sifter, it gets EVERYWHERE. All over the rim of the container! And i even kept the plastic seal on and poked holes in it. I don't even really shake it. I just turn it upside down and quickly right side up again....still, a HUGE mess. The container is big and bulky. It gives the illusion that you get a whole TON of product, when you really don't. I got fed up dealing with the mess and emptied the powder into a much smaller container and it didn't even fill up half of the small container!!!

All in all, I would repurchase this. ELF is PETA certified and we need more cosmetic brands that are cruelty free!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders and I LOVE this stuff. Great setting powder, just keep it light so you don't get ashy. It's a great price and you can find it in Target now. There's something less powdery about this than other silica powders so it doesn't give as much of a cloud of product when you use it which means you are less likely to inhale the product (and you can avoid the coughing and sneezing). The only thing I don't love is the packaging. It looks nice but it is unnecessarily bulky.

Edit 10/05/2016. I've now tried this is soft luminance. I can't seem to find the original shade in stores recently and I'm too lazy to order it. Anyway, I quite like this shade. It's a little less dry looking and a little less white cast. But I've also tried Cinema Secrets recently and I think that's my favorite powder so far. I'll use this up but probably repurchase Cinema Secrets eventually.

on 5/3/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Great powder with great finish. Can be a little "ashy" looking if used with a heavy hand. Taking the time to buff this product in is worth effort.