E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 1/17/2018 11:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I do like this powder because it’s lightweight and helps hide my pores. I have very dry skin so I used the NYX hydrating setting spray afterwards. I don’t know if that helps or makes this powder null but i love how I looked at work all day so I will be using this in conjunction with the hydrating primer and NYX Hydrating setting spray. For the price of their products I have nothing to lose. I will recommend this to my friends and buy again. Forgot to mention I didn’t use that puff it came with I actually used a smaller brush and buffed it around my face.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

on 6/28/2017 2:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a review for the shade "corrective yellow".

As a warm toned/tan gal, this powder is a must for me. It's a bit too dry for under my eyes (though to be fair my undereyes are hecka dry), but for my face, it's marvelous. It absorbs my oil and keeps me matte noticeably longer. It smooths out my skin after foundation and helps to blur pores and make them less noticeable. The yellow tone adds a subtle hint of warmth and helps to correct the tone of foundations that are too neutral for my skin tone. I don't think it's strong enough to correct a cool toned foundation, but I wouldn't buy a cool toned foundation either way. It's a really good value. I noticed a lot of similarities between the ingredients listed in this powder and the ingredients in the UD Velvetizer, which is advertised as a mix in medium. So I attempted to mix this in with my favorite foundation, and it actually looks pretty great. Go figure.

I will say though, the packaging is way too huge. It's also very messy, even for a loose powder. I just peel off only half of the sticker covering the little holes in the sifter (is that what it's called?) and snip it off, so only half of the holes are exposed. This makes a huge difference and reduces the kick-up when you open the jar by a lot.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use this powder for everything. Seriously. Under foundation, over foundation, no foundation, even if I haven't washed my face (wince!). It's just the fastest and easiest way to get some soft focus, mattifying going on. If I apply mid-day, it's like it 'freezes' any oils on my face and nullifies them (still may need foundation touch ups if it's broken down in t-zone). It never settles in my pores ad makes them look gross...that's a must!

I don't use the puff, I shake some into the lid and swirl my ELF complexion brush around - then I dust it on all over. Done.

I reviewed the pressed version previously, and I do prefer that version for two reasons. 1. The powder in the loose version has some larger/grittier pieces that are hard to pick up and apply - the pressed form is very uniform. 2. The loose form packaging is HUGE, and screws open and closed - the pressed form is flip-top.

Anyway, I've almost finished a whole container of this and already have another on hand. It's just so versatile and nice. I stock up during ELF's big sales, so...8g for $3 US? Yes, please!

on 11/17/2016 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

So I bought this to save myself some money (I had been using LM powder) and I love it. I even like it better than the LM powder. I use it to set my concealer & my t-zone. I have oily skin and I find that this keeps me matte as long as the LM powder did. But my favorite thing is that I don't look powdery at all & my skin (including my under eye) feels and looks smooth. The only thing I hate is the packaging because it can get messy real quick but still worth the buy. I definitely recommend if you're looking for a cheaper powder!
Edit (update) - knocking off some points b/c the packaging is just awful. I still like the price point, but I've only been using the powder to set my under-eye concealer. The powder emphasized my skin texture (pores, pimples) in my forehead too much and doesn't have as much oil control as my pressed NYX HD powder. I still like it though and will continue to repurchase!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have tried many a loose powder and have rarely been disappointed, but this powder is probably the quickest to use, in terms of mattyfing and setting foundation/contour. It picks up easily and evenly and you don't need to layer it on heavily for it to set the face. It is silica-based, which makes it a little lighter than talc powder and less prone to cakeyness. It creates a very smooth base for your other powder makeup (bronzer, contour, blush) to grab onto and blend out evenly on.
I use a big powder brush or kabuki brush to apply this and "bake" my undereyes with it. It is white, but once blended out it is totally translucent and does not cast a "white mask" over the face like some translucent powders do. It is truly translucent and did help keep my foundation/concealer on my face for a solid 8 hours without it becoming greasy or separating.
The price is very low, and you get a hefty amount of product for the price. I don't use the powder puff included, but sometimes they work well to apply powder evenly so I'll give it a shot next time. The case it comes in is bulky, like all loose powders, but it is a twist-off lid so it feels more secure than other drugstore loose powders.
Overall I am very pleased and impressed with how well this powder applied and how matte but breathable it is. It doesn't look cakey even after hours of wear, so I will definitely continue to use and repurchase!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Im reviewing the Shimmer HD powder. Personally I love it! Yes it has in shimmer particles. I've heard people say they find it glittery... I do not. It's more of a sparkle as this slightly peachy toned powder is extremely finely milled. It's definitely not a pearl sort of sheen. That said, I use this to set my highlighted areas and under my eyes if i want extra drama, just a dusting does the trick, then sweep on whatever highlighter I'm using over this. If I've used a cream highlighter only, i find this is even more perfect as it doesnt reduce the sheen of my highlighter and completely mattify the look like many setting powders tend to causing you to have to go in with a powder highlighter to bring back the glow. That product overload is a recipe for cake face.

This product is not an all over face powder. Absolutely just for areas you want to highlight...center of the nose, cheek bones, under eye, upper lip, chin etc. It is a HD powder so be cautious not to use too much product if taking flash photos or you may experience flashback. Apart from this I have taken beautiful professional flash photos using this powder with no disastrous results. It's also held up wonderfully to full nights of partying and kept me shine free.

I like the look of the packaging. Very cute on my vanity. Makes it appear much more expensive than it is but it does get messy fast because it is such a fine powder. Dont take the plastic completely off the shaker top; cut away maybe just under half of it and keep it up right, and youll be fine. I've put some in a smaller container for travel as it's also not particularly travel friendly packaging due to its bulkiness.

I've also heard people complain about the amount of product it contains for the price ($6) and I have to wonder if they're crazy as I've spent upwards of $40 for similar cosmetics with an equal amount and even less product in it.

All in all, if youre not timid about the use of highlighter products then you will adore this. If subtlety is your thing, then skip this and go for an ordinary translucent HD or other setting powder or opt for Sacha Buttercup powder or Ben Nye if you prefer a bright but matte powder to highlight and set your makeup.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have crazy oily skin and I use this with the Goss method (primer then powder then foundation) and it really keeps my oil under control! It does leave a white cast if you're not careful but my foundation is a smidgen too dark so I am not too fussed about it.

The packaging is awful so I listened to the other reviewers and only punctured a few holes through the sticker rather than remove the entire sticker.

on 3/30/2016 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am once again amazed at E.L.F. To make such a fantastic finishing powder and sell for such a low cost continues to win my loyalty. Make no mistake about it, this powder is NOT as silky as some higher end ones, but for the price, there is nothing else out there comparable to it in my opinion. There are a lot of reviews about how bulky the packaging is. I kind of like it. I don't travel with it, I leave it on my counter and it looks nice. I also don't have any issue with messy caps or the like, rather I pour a tiny amount into a small container I keep especially for this purpose. I do this with all my loose powders as I find it much easier to dip my brush in and tap off the excess without worrying about cleaning the inside of the cap or rings, etc.

Do not be scared by the stark white look of this product. Use the tiniest amount, seriously, less is more! This powder will indeed blur your pores and help control shine (the oily girl in me loves this quality). If you do want to travel with this or keep with you for touch ups I highly recommend buying one of those small refillable travel bottle kits and pour some in the tiny screw on lid container. This is what I use to dip my brush in at home. The kit is great to pour rose water or other setting sprays into the small spray bottles by the way, which is always handy if you feel you've applied too much powder as well.

The only reason I didn't give this a full 5 lippies is it loses points for the feel when I compare this to It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores which feels so silky and velvety on the skin. But truth be told, this does a better job of shine control and blurring or minimizing appearance of pores than anything else I've used to date. So I will probably repurchase if/when it runs out but that could take some time as there is a ton of product and you use so little.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

im a drugstore fan. Sometimes amazing things happen at amazing prices!
This was definitely not one....
It oxidised all of my make up 5 seconds after i put it on and turned me orange! I dont have oily skin, so i thought "okay lets clense everything properly" and low and behold, even after cleansing and everything, it took 10 mins to oxidise instead of 5, which is worse if you're leaving the house!!!!! I've tried with primers, without, switched foundations.... Its just awful. AWFUL. Finely milled but still bad.