e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Okay you guys asked and they delivered - I was just at the drugstore looking to get this and they repackaged it!

It's no longer in the big black square container. It's a smaller, round container with a clear bottom (where the powder is) so you can see how much you have left. It has a one-sided sifter so less product will come out AND a circular slider on the sifter so you can close it off completely if you wanted. Comes with a puff that fits neatly over the new sifter contraption. On the inside of the lid, it says "pour product here" and the product comes out very neatly this way. Overall, I think they successfully addressed the concerns everyone had with their old packaging. I do think you might get somewhat less product in total now, however.

The powder itself is awesome as a setting powder for the T-zone and undereyes. I find it minimizes creasing and really keeps oil at a minimum during the day. It also sits on the skin in a very flattering way, where it blurs pores and creates a veil over the skin. I haven't experienced any dryness or whitecast on my skin (NW20).

on 6/8/2017 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A simple and straight forward translucent powder. I think that's all you can really ask for at this price point.

I agree that the packaging isn't ideal, but it's mostly controlled by keeping the sponge in the top. It flies everywhere when I try to use a brush, so I use the puff to apply it then a brush to blend it out/sweep away excess.

Eh, this is okay. It's very much a no frills kind of powder.

Pros:
-it's dirt cheap
-cruelty free
-does a pretty good job of setting and mattifying my face
-doesn't break me out
-sturdy plastic jar

Cons:
-It's a loose powder, and it gets EVERYWHERE
-doesn't seem to last me very long because of that

I've been through a few jars of this stuff. Tried different brands from time to time, I find myself coming back to ELF every time.

on 3/1/2017 6:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Good for the price, the pckaging is a mess but the product looks nice on the face.

on 11/27/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I discovered ELF not long ago I Kmart and this powder was so cheap so I thought I would give it a go! I was sceptical but I actually really like it! I have dry skin and this powder doesn't dry out my foundation and doesn't change the colour of my foundation either (a few 'translucent' powders have been known to do this to me). If I put a lot of foundation on, I find it does sink into my smile lines but aside from that it's pretty much perfect!

on 11/15/2016 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a lovely finely milled powder that works as well as high end. I have super oily peri-menopausal skin; I use this after my primer BEFORE my foundation, then after to set everything. My makeup lasts so much longer before it breaks down (I get a good 10 hours out of most foundations). The act that it 's super cheap is just an extra bonus.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Only works for baking under the eyes looks horrid allover the face but elf has an actual under eye powder which is way better

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

very fine milled powder , works great for setting my foundation, doesn't make me look pale . it's a great price for what you get i just wish the sifter was a twist shut like bare minerals or even the ulta mineral foundation because God forbid this thing to be tossed around in a hand bag a few times lol

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First I'll start off with the packaging. It comes in a black box like container that twists off and on. On the inside there is a powder puff and there is a sifter to keep powder from making a mess. The package is kind of big and bulky so its not really good for putting in your purse. I am ok with the packaging. So the powder I have is the white translucent one. I really really love this powder. I use it to set my entire face (I am light skinned) after applying foundation and concealer. At first when I put it on, you can see it on my face but then it just melts into my skin. And you can't even tell I have powder on my face. I do not get a white cast at all. The powder is very finely milled. It feels so soft and velvety. This is the best powder I have ever used. I do not know what I would do if this was ever discontinued. This is something I use everyday. This makes my makeup look flawless. It helps my foundation and concealer stay in place ALL DAY LONG. I use a large flat kabuki brush and just press it into my skin. It has no odor to it at all. You also get a lot of product. I only paid $6 so it is so affordable. This is a permanent staple product in my makeup bag and routine.