E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.8

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

4.5 stars
I bought this in Sheer over a year ago and use it regularly, and I still have well over half left. So you definitely get your money's worth with this product. Also, it's so finely milled that it doesn't get that weird shimmery or cakey look that some of the more expensive HD powders can get.

I knocked off a half star because it does get messy when it collects around the edges of the lid due to the way its packaged, and it can also be super easy to over apply.

* In order to not over apply this, I dip a brush into the powder and shake off the excess product into the lid. Then I use a DIFFERENT brush to swirl inside the lid and pick up just enough to swipe over my face lightly. This method prevents me from looking like a clown, and works like a charm with other loose powders as well. :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my first experience with an HD powder, and it's alright. There are definitely some issues with it, like the fact that it's not as finely milled as it could be. I see some big chunks sometimes mixed in. The packaging is bulky, but I can live with it so long as I don't have to travel with it, and I don't travel much at this time. I usually use this as an all over setting powder so that my foundation stays in place by doing the swirl, tap, buff method I used for many years with BareMinerals foundation. I put that I would purchase this again, but I may be on the lookout for a better setting powder once I run out of this. Can't beat the price though.

on 9/3/2015 8:20:00 AM

I hate to say this, but this stuff was terrible. I bought it for adding to my freelance kit as I do a lot of bridal make up. During a trial I put this on the bride, took a few photos and couldn't believe how white my bride looked. I use Revlon CS foundations and have never had a problem before and I've used various setting powders before as well with no problem. I could actually see and feel the balls/grains of this stuff sitting on her skin. I promptly chucked this in the garbage.

on 8/21/2015 10:39:00 AM

I have heard many compare this to the MUFE HD one. While they are similar products, they are not the same. I have both. The ELF one has more than silica in their list of ingredients. MUFE, the ONLY ingredient is silica. Now, having said that, I do find that the ELF one is easier to use. With the MUFE, there's a lot of powder that kicks up, and every time I use it, I have to try to avoid inhaling the product but i always do. I don't have that issue with the ELF one which is a plus. As for performance, I don't really notice a difference btwn this and the MUFE one. The ELF ones gives a great finish, blurs pores and controls oil very well.

One major gripe i have with this powder is the packaging. My god it's AWFUL. I know that loose powders are messy but this one in particular is dreadful. It's as if the lid doesn't screw on properly so when you go to shake some out of the sifter, it gets EVERYWHERE. All over the rim of the container! And i even kept the plastic seal on and poked holes in it. I don't even really shake it. I just turn it upside down and quickly right side up again....still, a HUGE mess. The container is big and bulky. It gives the illusion that you get a whole TON of product, when you really don't. I got fed up dealing with the mess and emptied the powder into a much smaller container and it didn't even fill up half of the small container!!!

All in all, I would repurchase this. ELF is PETA certified and we need more cosmetic brands that are cruelty free!!!

on 6/11/2015 1:01:00 AM

This powder controlled any oily areas for about 4 to 5 hours,it made my makeup last longer too. The packaging is not the best in my opinion when u open and close the container it spills out over the edges.I think it'd be better in a sifter container so it wouldn't spill out. It's only $6 I'll use what I have but wouldn't purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders and I LOVE this stuff. Great setting powder, just keep it light so you don't get ashy. It's a great price and you can find it in Target now. There's something less powdery about this than other silica powders so it doesn't give as much of a cloud of product when you use it which means you are less likely to inhale the product (and you can avoid the coughing and sneezing). The only thing I don't love is the packaging. It looks nice but it is unnecessarily bulky.

Edit 10/05/2016. I've now tried this is soft luminance. I can't seem to find the original shade in stores recently and I'm too lazy to order it. Anyway, I quite like this shade. It's a little less dry looking and a little less white cast. But I've also tried Cinema Secrets recently and I think that's my favorite powder so far. I'll use this up but probably repurchase Cinema Secrets eventually.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I use this both in white and tone correcting yellow. I mix them together, more white in the winter and more yellow when I am tanned. They are by far the one product I could not live without. The yellow really does cancel out redness but can be a bit dark for my fair skin by itself, and the white is too pale by itself. They look a bit powdery when first applied; just wait a minute for it to melt into skin.

These are amazingly mattifying. I normally have to blot my face 8 times a day, but with these on, I only blot about 3 times, and could get away with less. On top of that, the texture of the powder absorbs all visible oil, so I don't look shiny, even if blotting would reveal oil. This is amazing for someone so oily!

I use these both alone on days my skin is perfect, and under or over foundation on days I need more makeup. Have repurchased many times and will repurchase again.

So surprised there are only a handful of reviews for this! Fantastic setting powder for the summer months. Takes care of my shine and minimizes my pores with minimal touch ups needed. As the others have said, packaging is terrible but this product is such a great vale and very high performing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This had been around for a while before I decided to finally give in and give it a go, mainly based on the countless rave reviews it's received both on MakeupAlley and across the web. It almost seemed impolite NOT to try it!

Sadly, after only one application I had an adverse reaction to it which left my face (in particular my cheeks) red, inflamed and very, very sore. I still don't know what ingredient caused such a bad flare up, but my skin was like it for a good 3 days before it finally started to subside.

Based on the above it's hard for me to give a really in-depth review, but from memory this is a microfine powder that went on very easily when applied and left my skin feeling silky. I'm not sure about some of the claims it makes on the back of the packaging - e.g. "masks the fine lines and imperfections for a radiant complexion"; "creates a 'soft focus' effect to the skin" - but I guess it did leave my skin feeling smoother. I can't say much for wearability either, as I only lasted about 2 hours before I had to go and wash it off!

On a plus note, the E.L.F. UK customer service team were brilliant when I called them and explained what had happened to my face. The lady I spoke to even went through a few questions with me to see if she could work out what ingredient it might have been to cause the reaction (her suggestion was it might be the Silica). And they were very prompt at refunding my money so I can't fault them on that front.

Sadly this ended up in the trash. I wouldn't warn people off using it, but I would give a note of caution to anyone with overly sensitive skin like mine; it could end up causing you a lot of pain...!