E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

Filtered by hair type : Straight
E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 7/21/2017 3:38:00 PM

This was the first loose setting powder I tired and it wasn't all that bad. The powder itself is good for baking and setting foundation/concealer. Something I didn't like about this product is the price. For $6 you get .28 ounces. Since this is a loose powder, it can be very messy, which means you waste more product. I recommend the Cory Airspun Translucent powder instead. It costs just under $6 at Walmart and comes with way more product, and in my opinion, it's better quality. It comes with 8 times more powde rthan the ELF one.

on 3/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a no-frills loose powder. I like it for setting my makeup. I don't find it uneven, but I saw a number of other reviews that mentioned that. I agree the packaging is not great - I keep the sponge in it to prevent the powder from getting all over the place.

on 3/12/2017 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a good product considering price and look of the skin after application. Packaging is not so good, but considering the price, product is good. For somebody on budget this is worth trying.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this item because of the great reviews on this site - huge mistake. I know it's only a few dollars but damn. Not even worth that. Firstly, the powder is inconsistent and not all finely milled. There were some large pieces of powder that my brush just could not pick up. As other reviewers have noted, the packaging is terrible and very messy. I put this on and it left a very noticeable white cast over my entire face and even seemed to suck up some of the coverage of my very high coverage foundation (Urban Decay's All Nighter) to the point where I could see the redness in my cheeks poking through. I also tried baking my under eye with this product and it actually caused some sensitivity and discomfort to my under eye area. Overall, I know we try to save money where we can with makeup and find good drug store dupes but I'm gonna stick with my Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. I actually apologized to my skin after using this.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 8/4/2016 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This was my first loose setting powder, and I was really unimpressed with it. I have prominently yellow skin (I'm Asian) with a greenish, olive undertone and this powder just did not agree with my skin tone. The flash back in photos are absolutely horrible enough, but even under natural day light, I could STILL see the white cast making me look so ghastly greyish and sick. It's a very smooth, mattifying powder, but the initial matte effect doesn't last long. I live in a humid, hot subtropical weather, and this kept my makeup on, but I still produced oil profusely. The jar is really really nice, it's a secure plastic jar, comes with a good sifter and a very quality powder puff; alas, it's too bulky and not something I can just toss in my bag and carry around for touch up. Not to mention, whenever I got under the sun, the dreaded white cast would show up. I also gradually figured out that my skin was more dehydrated than I thought, this powder doesn't absorb oil that well but it just sucked every last bot of moisture off of my skin, I was just not happy with it in any way. I couldn't stand it any more, so I passed it to another, moved on and never looked back.

on 6/24/2016 8:50:00 PM

This was the first loose powder I used to set my makeup. Its ok and you do get a lot of product for the price. It's decent but nothing spectacular. I've since started using coty airspun and think that gives me more of a flawless finish. I still have some elf powder left but probably won't use it up and would not repurchase.

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

on 5/15/2016 11:52:00 PM

First, this is really affordable. Also amazing at setting. It controls my oily skin. It makes my face flawless by itself or over foundation. Two problems is that it has terrible flashback on flash photos & the bulky packaging. Would I repurchase? Most likely no.

on 5/2/2016 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using this powder for about 5 years now. I'm very happy with it. Leaves a nice matte finish without emphasizing dry spots or fine lines.