E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.3

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

on 11/29/2015 9:26:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I use this both in white and tone correcting yellow. I mix them together, more white in the winter and more yellow when I am tanned. They are by far the one product I could not live without. The yellow really does cancel out redness but can be a bit dark for my fair skin by itself, and the white is too pale by itself. They look a bit powdery when first applied; just wait a minute for it to melt into skin.

These are amazingly mattifying. I normally have to blot my face 8 times a day, but with these on, I only blot about 3 times, and could get away with less. On top of that, the texture of the powder absorbs all visible oil, so I don't look shiny, even if blotting would reveal oil. This is amazing for someone so oily!

I use these both alone on days my skin is perfect, and under or over foundation on days I need more makeup. Have repurchased many times and will repurchase again.

on 10/13/2013 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried using it as a setting powder, it does not prolong the wear of your foundation, it leaves a white very powdery look when applied, doesn't blur anything just looks like you have smothered yourself in talcum powder, thrown mine out, rendered useless. Good value if it works for you. Comes in sifter container with puff.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This had been around for a while before I decided to finally give in and give it a go, mainly based on the countless rave reviews it's received both on MakeupAlley and across the web. It almost seemed impolite NOT to try it!

Sadly, after only one application I had an adverse reaction to it which left my face (in particular my cheeks) red, inflamed and very, very sore. I still don't know what ingredient caused such a bad flare up, but my skin was like it for a good 3 days before it finally started to subside.

Based on the above it's hard for me to give a really in-depth review, but from memory this is a microfine powder that went on very easily when applied and left my skin feeling silky. I'm not sure about some of the claims it makes on the back of the packaging - e.g. "masks the fine lines and imperfections for a radiant complexion"; "creates a 'soft focus' effect to the skin" - but I guess it did leave my skin feeling smoother. I can't say much for wearability either, as I only lasted about 2 hours before I had to go and wash it off!

On a plus note, the E.L.F. UK customer service team were brilliant when I called them and explained what had happened to my face. The lady I spoke to even went through a few questions with me to see if she could work out what ingredient it might have been to cause the reaction (her suggestion was it might be the Silica). And they were very prompt at refunding my money so I can't fault them on that front.

Sadly this ended up in the trash. I wouldn't warn people off using it, but I would give a note of caution to anyone with overly sensitive skin like mine; it could end up causing you a lot of pain...!

on 7/18/2011 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Yes, the packaging is messy. But the powder just enhances my skin so well over my foundation. It will slightly lighten your skin only if you use too much. I will continue to purchase this but I really wish e.l.f. would let Target carry this in-store so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping!
Edit: I have gone back to Bare Minerals foundation and this just doesn't look as good on top of that as Mineral Veil does.

on 5/11/2011 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Eh, it's okay. I don't find any fantastic "illuminating" results. Seems to work like any other translucent type powder.

Tends to look subtly chalky unless I use very sparingly. Might be good for oily skin to control shine, but for a cheap setting powder I prefer the NYC smooth skin.

on 4/5/2010 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

AMAZING! I've finally found a powder that covers every bit of sunscreen shine and controls oilies throughout the day! I've tried sooooo many powders, only to be disappointed and oily. I can not believe I've found my HG powder for only $3! There's definitely a slight learning curve involved here. If you're super oily like me, you'll probably be wanting to load up on this from the get-go. Don't! When I first received it, I used the enclosed puff (which is ultra-soft, by the way) and patted the powder all over my face, then lightly brushed away the excess with a big, soft powder brush. It definitely controlled the shine, but made my skin look super dry and almost peely. Upon further investigation, I found that silica is extremely drying. I didn't think about it before, but I also use dry silica to clean my tin whistle. It keeps the inside dry and is about the only thing that keeps it sounding good. Now I just brush a little bit on with a big brush and I'm good to go! Controls shine all day!
UPDATE: Since the weather is getting progressively warmer, I find this to work less and less at controlling oil. Not only that, I've been noticing the strange texture this leaves on my skin, like grainy white chunkiness. Even after I wash my face, I still seem to have bits of white stuck in my pores that I have to exfoliate out. It's kind of frustrating and I'm now looking for a replacement.
ANOTHER UPDATE: I switched to something else for a while and came right back to this. There is no better loose powder out there. Even though it's not perfect, it's close! Plus, this is the only powder I've found that doesn't break me out. I'll stick with it.

on 3/19/2010 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really great loose powder: long lasting, fine milled, and light-diffusing. And at $3 on sale, with a ton of produce, just great. Total rec.

The packaging is very classy, in a substantial molded plastic matte black boxy shape; no doubt it will hold up well. My only gripe: I can't screw the top on totally shut; It doesn't close flush tight. But if that's the only gripe, consider it mooted by the otherwise fabulousness of the product, and ignore it ;)