E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

on 2/17/2017 3:27:00 PM

I LOVE this! I mix it in with my powder and it gives me a dewy finish! I use it every day!

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

on 3/2/2016 4:19:00 PM

This powder has a really nice, fine texture, and comes with an excellent powder puff (one with a ribbon on the back to stick your fingers through—I use it for other powders.) The lid screws on, which is nice for travel, or to prevent losing it all when you knock it off the table, but it makes it harder to get the product back into the main jar after tapping your brush off into the lid. Overall, I'm impressed with it for the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product! I have the transparent powder and I use it everyday, its fantastic and is my favorite powder to use! After applying my primer and foundation I put this on with a brush (rather than the cushion included) and it makes my makeup matte, you cany see my pores, and I can re apply through out the day when my face gets shiby again, one of my favorite ELF products!!👍

on 11/29/2015 9:26:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Works well but i tend to like my BM mineral veil better. Both provides no coverage and controls oil

This can cause a white cast on my face when I take a picture though

on 4/19/2015 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Got this at a sale a few months back and have been using it quite often on my tzone. It's a very fine powder, but I wouldn't say it's a dupe for the MUFE HD powder, it can leave quite a white cast if you don't blend or buff it in. The amount of product that comes with it seems quite little, but then again you get what you pay for. I like the packaging design but it's a pain to get the powder out, there's quite a wastage of product there. Other than that, I quite like this powder, it sets, it's mattifying, looks great in pictures. I have read reviews that it's difficult to pick the product up with a brush cos of the silicone content/it's better to use the puff that comes with it, but I prefer using a brush. Overall a 3.5/5!