E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.2

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have crazy oily skin and I use this with the Goss method (primer then powder then foundation) and it really keeps my oil under control! It does leave a white cast if you're not careful but my foundation is a smidgen too dark so I am not too fussed about it.

The packaging is awful so I listened to the other reviewers and only punctured a few holes through the sticker rather than remove the entire sticker.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm honestly not a fan. But to be fair... I own the Makeup Forever version & that's not "holy grail" worthy to me either.

Here are the pros:
-Very fine powder
-A little goes a long way
-Did keep me matte for half a day

Cons:
-The packaging is god awful...I have lost half of this merely to opening the damn jar.
-Offers no extra coverage (obviously)
-Despite using a minimal amount, I get the dreaded white cast look. And I'm SUPER pale...I can't imagine this looking okay on anyone tanner than NC15. I'm NC10/super pale leaning warm/neutral.
-It is a tiny bit cakey, especially after it melts into my pizza-face.
-My ultimate favorite setting powder is Coty Airspun, ELF did not out preform it by any means. Coty keeps me matte ALL DAY, adds extra coverage, gives a final polishing look to my foundation,
-Since my sebum wasn't kept completely at bay, I could feel little whiteheads pop up days later. :(
-ELF adds more dimethicone than MUFE's $$$ version. It is a cost reduction strategy but unfortunately shows in quality comparison.

I won't repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This product is literally alright. It does indeed set your makeup and prevent it from moving. But it's not that great when it comes to oil control or preventing creasing, itll keep me matte for a maybe 2 hours tops but then afterwards I have blot and stuff. It doesnt help with creasing at all and I actually feel like anytime I place some on my barely existent laugh lines (that seem to accentuate when I have foundation on) it makes them even more accentuated. So doesnt really help with creasing. It also can feel quite drying on the skin especially in the winter although I have oily skin. Its finely milled but I wouldnt decribe it as soft. I decided after half a year of using it I'm going back to my Innisfree no sebum powder which although doesnt have much product does it's job at keeping me oil free and matte throughout the day and has much more of a silky soft feeling to it. Does not dry me out at all either.

You can read more of my in-depth reviews here: www.pinkivorys.blogspot.com

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I bought this powder a little while ago and when I first bought it, I honestly didn't care for it much.
Flash forward to last week. My face is ridiculously, appallingly oily. I don't know what happened because my skin had been really good for the month before that and then boom, I wake up one morning and the situation is tragic.
Like an hour after I wash my face, it's already REALLY oily. No amount of blotting paper has been helping the situation. And the heat/my sweat is not helping the situation.
The bb cream I've been is consumed by the oil by the time I make it out of class.
I had been using Rimmel Stay Matte powder but I dropped it and both the case and the product shattered a couple of weeks and I didn't want to have to replace it, when I remembered about this.
I put it on after the sunscreen, but before the bb cream and then again after the bb cream. Honestly I definitely used way too much, because my face had a little bit of a white tint to it after, but I didn't want to have to bring it with me because the packaging is so big and bulky.
Lemme tell you, it worked wonders. It's been 8 hours and I sat through a two hour class, a two hour subway commute, and a two mile walk in the heat and I'm only a little shiny/oily! Like compared to the grease fest my face was yesterday, this is a dream. I like it a lot better than I liked Stay Matte.

tl;dr: Keeps oil at bay a lot better than expected, but the packaging is super annoying (took off a point for that). Definitely buying again!

on 4/24/2015 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have very oily/combination/acne prone skin. I bought this powder in translucent.

PROS:
- Very light powder, not heavy or cakey at all
- Helped keep my oil under control
- Decent price (around $6)
- Didn't gather around my dry spots
- Didn't clog my pores or break me out
- No talc
CONS:
- I got oily again after about 3 hours
- Can leave a white cast, but only if you use a heavy hand
- Bad packaging

I would recommend this for all skin types, but would warn ladies with very oily skin that you won't stay matte for a very long period of time. Good product overall, I only suggest that when you use this powder, you leave the puff (it comes with a puff) inside the container and only remove it when you use this powder. Otherwise, this stuff will go all over the place.

on 1/7/2015 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wasn't expecting to be so surprised by this powder, but I was! I'm way oilier than most people who identify as "very oily" and have pretty much accepted my fate as an unavoidable grease spill, but this stuff controls shine beauuutifully. I touch up twice in a span of about 8 hours (unfortunately that can't change but whatever), and I noticed that each time I blotted off significantly less oil than usual. When I got home, not only was my face almost matte, but the makeup underneath had stayed on strong all day; even my undereye concealer looked presentable. As long as you only lift off a part of the seal and keep the puff in the (quite large and clunky) container, application is not that messy. But seriously, I can't complain considering the price and quality of the product. As a bonus, this powder doesn't have high toxicity like a lot of other makeup, and that's amazing. My Rimmel Stay Matte has met its last days.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I originally saw this when my younger sister was looking for a bb cream and powder to help with her oily skin and breakouts, since shes at the age where shes too young for foundation but she wants to be able to cover some breakouts. I showed her this powder since it was cheap and she could get it with her own money. I tried it out one day and HOLY MOLY I love it! I have always had trouble with using pressed powders to set my foundation, they kinda just sat ontop and looked like powder. I have used the MUFE HD loose powder (I cant remember the exact name) and I paid $22 CAD for a small travel size of it. This e.l.f one is exactly the same thing except with a much better price tag. Once you get near the end it isn't as finely milled (may see some small white balls) but for how little it cost I can definitely deal with that. It sets my makeup and makes it look like skin, it helps my foundation last a lot longer.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Great setting powder. This and the Airspun loose powder translucent extra coverage have been the best so far for my oily skin.
So far these have been the best even compared to many high-end brands.

Right now I am preferring the other one to this because it seems to help with my oily skin a bit more and the product last longer too.