e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by skin type : Combination
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 1/13/2018 1:39:00 PM

THIS IS NOT THE SAME FORMULA THE INGREDIENTS ARE DIFFERENT. Why ELF did you change the formula? I loved this powder with the old formula. Do not buy the new formula it doesn't blend into the skin and is chalky. Leaves white patches on my face. PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD FORMULA. Trying to find the old formula online. :(

on 10/13/2017 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Very mattifying and does help makeup last longer, but very drying, cakey looking and messy to use. Highlights dry patches. Didn't work for me at all! Not one for dry skin. Maybe better for oily skin

on 8/23/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't know if it's me but I always end up with cakey makeup with this loose powder. The powder is not fine enough and makes it harder for me to buff out. Overall its okay but I think there are better alternatives like Milani Loose Translucent Powder.

on 8/10/2017 6:06:00 AM

I have already repurchased this powder.
Cheap, blurs pores, smoothes texture (great for undereyes) and controls oil on my face. I use very little, so haven't experienced any powderiness or flashback issues. Like it a lot, and for the price I'm sticking to this product

Edit: cracked open the new tub of hd powder (round packaging) and it seems to be more powdery now than before. did elf tweak the formula?

April 2018: Formula change confirmed.

The new version is a shadow of the original. Contains a lot more crap and does a lot less. No more smoothing effect - it now enhances texture like every other powder, although setting and oil control is still ok. Overall usable but definitely not repurchasing. Rating edited to reflect current version's performance - it used to be a solid 5/5!

Bring back the original formula ELF!! 🤨

on 7/21/2017 3:38:00 PM

This was the first loose setting powder I tired and it wasn't all that bad. The powder itself is good for baking and setting foundation/concealer. Something I didn't like about this product is the price. For $6 you get .28 ounces. Since this is a loose powder, it can be very messy, which means you waste more product. I recommend the Cory Airspun Translucent powder instead. It costs just under $6 at Walmart and comes with way more product, and in my opinion, it's better quality. It comes with 8 times more powde rthan the ELF one.

on 6/28/2017 2:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a review for the shade "corrective yellow".

As a warm toned/tan gal, this powder is a must for me. It's a bit too dry for under my eyes (though to be fair my undereyes are hecka dry), but for my face, it's marvelous. It absorbs my oil and keeps me matte noticeably longer. It smooths out my skin after foundation and helps to blur pores and make them less noticeable. The yellow tone adds a subtle hint of warmth and helps to correct the tone of foundations that are too neutral for my skin tone. I don't think it's strong enough to correct a cool toned foundation, but I wouldn't buy a cool toned foundation either way. It's a really good value. I noticed a lot of similarities between the ingredients listed in this powder and the ingredients in the UD Velvetizer, which is advertised as a mix in medium. So I attempted to mix this in with my favorite foundation, and it actually looks pretty great. Go figure.

I will say though, the packaging is way too huge. It's also very messy, even for a loose powder. I just peel off only half of the sticker covering the little holes in the sifter (is that what it's called?) and snip it off, so only half of the holes are exposed. This makes a huge difference and reduces the kick-up when you open the jar by a lot.

on 6/8/2017 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A simple and straight forward translucent powder. I think that's all you can really ask for at this price point.

I agree that the packaging isn't ideal, but it's mostly controlled by keeping the sponge in the top. It flies everywhere when I try to use a brush, so I use the puff to apply it then a brush to blend it out/sweep away excess.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use this powder for everything. Seriously. Under foundation, over foundation, no foundation, even if I haven't washed my face (wince!). It's just the fastest and easiest way to get some soft focus, mattifying going on. If I apply mid-day, it's like it 'freezes' any oils on my face and nullifies them (still may need foundation touch ups if it's broken down in t-zone). It never settles in my pores ad makes them look gross...that's a must!

I don't use the puff, I shake some into the lid and swirl my ELF complexion brush around - then I dust it on all over. Done.

I reviewed the pressed version previously, and I do prefer that version for two reasons. 1. The powder in the loose version has some larger/grittier pieces that are hard to pick up and apply - the pressed form is very uniform. 2. The loose form packaging is HUGE, and screws open and closed - the pressed form is flip-top.

Anyway, I've almost finished a whole container of this and already have another on hand. It's just so versatile and nice. I stock up during ELF's big sales, so...8g for $3 US? Yes, please!

Eh, this is okay. It's very much a no frills kind of powder.

Pros:
-it's dirt cheap
-cruelty free
-does a pretty good job of setting and mattifying my face
-doesn't break me out
-sturdy plastic jar

Cons:
-It's a loose powder, and it gets EVERYWHERE
-doesn't seem to last me very long because of that

I've been through a few jars of this stuff. Tried different brands from time to time, I find myself coming back to ELF every time.

on 3/12/2017 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a good product considering price and look of the skin after application. Packaging is not so good, but considering the price, product is good. For somebody on budget this is worth trying.