e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 12/22/2014 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This powder is amaZing it left my skin nice and matte not dull or cakey you have to be light handed with it though or it will leave a white cast the only thing I hate is the packing it's bulky and you definey have to be careful with it or it gets messy but I love and btw the price was $6 you can't beat

on 6/29/2014 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is incredible! I read a lot of reviews about it online, and I was a bit iffy about it because a lot of reviewers were mentioning the white cast that this powder creates when you use it. But, I saw it at Target and needed some powder so I went for it!

First things first, the packaging is terrible. SO terrible. The powder literally explodes out of it every single time I open it and I lose so much product. There is no careful way to use this powder without getting it everywhere. It would be great if there was a seal on it similar to Bare Minerals to prevent this from happening but what can you do?

I would recommend using a brush to apply this, not a powder puff or sponge. I find that with a brush the white cast from the powder doesn't happen and if it does, you can just buff it away with your brush.

Other than that, this powder is AMAZING. It leaves my skin feeling super silky smooth and my makeup does not budge at ALL. I work at Disney World in Florida, and lately the temperatures have been raging at 95+ degrees and I will sweat, get rained on, whatever, and my skin feels just like it did when I applied my makeup that morning.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Just be careful with how much you're applying because it does cast a white shade to your face.

on 11/6/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Its funny because I used this powder over my liquid foundation and I actually thought that it made my skin look too perfect and fake LOL. So yeah this products works really well :P

Tip: After you set your foundation with your regular powder and apply bronzer and blush. Dust this over everything to give it a blurred flawless look. Its light enough to apply over other products

I bought this product on a whim and can't believe how awesome it is.

I have been using it to set my under eye concealer and my t-zone, and it works fabulously.

Its silky and smooth, and doesn't make my skin look ghostly.

I wouldn't say its as good as MUFA HD powder, but its pretty close. And that is saying something considering the MASSIVE price savings.

Only thing I don't like - the packaging. Its cheap looking... but it works just fine.

Will def. buy again!

on 10/2/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Love this powder because it does not change the color of my foundation or settle on my lines. It makes my skin look smooth. I actually love the packaging because it accommodates my big fluffy powder brush perfectly as It picks up some powder. I then swirl it around on the inside of the lid to work it into the brush for a more even dusting/application.

on 8/20/2013 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love the product hate the packaging.

This product works the same like MUFE and MAC's Finishing powder but at $6 if you buy it online and wait for the sales it can be easily had for $3. Love this product I use it in white and would definetly like to try the yellow one. With the white one you really have to use very little and buff it into your skin. Use very little too much will leave a white cast and leave you looking Ghastly. There is a love for ELF and this finishing powder paired with the Studio Brush is a charm!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product is amazing. Best powder ever. Dirt cheap. High quality. I've worked with the 50 dollar Makeup Forever HD powder and that's not as good as this little $6 guy. It lasts a long time, about four months. I bought two because it also works great as a dry shampoo for second-day hair; just pat/ sprinkle it on and bush through.

I hate to admit I'd been using too much of this until I realised it is NOT a setting powder; you have to apply it very sparingly over foundation and powder and I find it helps to spritz it afterwards very lightly with setting spray. That way imperfections are blurred, there's no white cast in photos and it's not in the least bit drying. I wish ELF would improve the container so it doesn't spill everywhere but at the price I can't really complain too much. I love this so much I have five spares (I'm not kidding)!