E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.8

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

on 10/21/2015 10:54:00 PM

I hate that I don't love this... I've been using it over my BB cream and concealer for about 3 weeks.

Cons:
It makes my oily skin look dry in patches, it emphasizes every itsy-bitsy teeny hair I have on my face, it somehow seems to cancel out my concealer and make redness more visible, the packaging is also messy.

Pros:
It's not expensive.

I'm trying to use it up in combination with other powders, because I hate wasting money (even $6)… but I would definitely not repurchase.

on 9/26/2015 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I did not like this powder at all it just did not work well with my skin however I love the packaging and the blotting sponge that comes with it! I've actually dumped out the powder and use other powders in the container that I like because I love the packaging so much. This powder really didn't do much for my skin at all and I never reached for it. I've always reach for other loose powders. I don't recommend this product at all. It didn't do anything special for me and it did leave my face looking a tad bit ashy and a little bit cakey but not heavily, I would spray my face with fix plus to eliminate that issue. But over all not a fan of this product. A definite thumbs down.

on 9/3/2015 8:20:00 AM

I hate to say this, but this stuff was terrible. I bought it for adding to my freelance kit as I do a lot of bridal make up. During a trial I put this on the bride, took a few photos and couldn't believe how white my bride looked. I use Revlon CS foundations and have never had a problem before and I've used various setting powders before as well with no problem. I could actually see and feel the balls/grains of this stuff sitting on her skin. I promptly chucked this in the garbage.

on 10/13/2013 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried using it as a setting powder, it does not prolong the wear of your foundation, it leaves a white very powdery look when applied, doesn't blur anything just looks like you have smothered yourself in talcum powder, thrown mine out, rendered useless. Good value if it works for you. Comes in sifter container with puff.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This had been around for a while before I decided to finally give in and give it a go, mainly based on the countless rave reviews it's received both on MakeupAlley and across the web. It almost seemed impolite NOT to try it!

Sadly, after only one application I had an adverse reaction to it which left my face (in particular my cheeks) red, inflamed and very, very sore. I still don't know what ingredient caused such a bad flare up, but my skin was like it for a good 3 days before it finally started to subside.

Based on the above it's hard for me to give a really in-depth review, but from memory this is a microfine powder that went on very easily when applied and left my skin feeling silky. I'm not sure about some of the claims it makes on the back of the packaging - e.g. "masks the fine lines and imperfections for a radiant complexion"; "creates a 'soft focus' effect to the skin" - but I guess it did leave my skin feeling smoother. I can't say much for wearability either, as I only lasted about 2 hours before I had to go and wash it off!

On a plus note, the E.L.F. UK customer service team were brilliant when I called them and explained what had happened to my face. The lady I spoke to even went through a few questions with me to see if she could work out what ingredient it might have been to cause the reaction (her suggestion was it might be the Silica). And they were very prompt at refunding my money so I can't fault them on that front.

Sadly this ended up in the trash. I wouldn't warn people off using it, but I would give a note of caution to anyone with overly sensitive skin like mine; it could end up causing you a lot of pain...!

on 3/19/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Update: I ended up hating this powder. Way too drying. Waste of money. Doesn't come close to MUFE or MAC Prep & Prime.
This is an alright setting powder, but I don't like it as much as my MAC Prep & Prime. It's nice to have a cheap alternative on casual days, however.

on 9/28/2010 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This makes my skin very dry, specially around the mouth.
I will not put this on my face again.

It is good for ppl who have very well moisturized or oily skin, but for some one with very dry skin like it was a nightmare...

on 9/22/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is NOTHING like MUFE or MAC's P&P powder. This is not milled finely enough to give the same effect. This actually accentuated flaws! It caked under my eyes and made my skin look oily. Yuk. You would be better off just buying any other cheap powder cause at least that one would mattify. Total fail. At least it was cheap.

on 11/27/2016 11:03:00 PM

So, this powder is very mattifying. So mattifying, that it made the fine expression lines on my forehead look like deep, canyon wrinkles. So mattifying that it made my barely-there BB cream look flakey and cakey around my mouth. It seriously aged me 15 years with the lightest dusting to my t-zone and under-eye area. And it also was oddly whitening on me too.

If you are super oily you might like this. If you have normal to oily skin or drier, it will suck the hydration from your soul.