E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I was so excited when I saw this on the website! It looks like a knockoff of MUFE's HD Microfinish powder (which I haven't used so I can't compare). When I got it in the mail I was surprised how big the jar is. I couldn't find a product amount anywhere but there looks to be a good amount of powder in the container. When I first felt it with my finger I was really amazed, it feels SUPER smooth, like silk. I did a light application on my face with a kabuki brush and it totally mattified my skin and gave it a very smooth finish. It also went on totally clear, even though the powder is WHITE. One of the best E.L.F. products I've tried, I have a feeling I'll be using this often. Will definitely buy again! A tip for anyone using this though, use some tape to cover up part of the holes in the sifter. There's a LOT and you can end up with wayyyy too much powder in the lid and in the sifter and alot of waste.

EDIT: I've been using this for a few months now and I still think this is an amazing product, however I use this in a different way than I did when I first got it. This is more of a finishing powder than a setting powder. It works great for oil control but not for keeping foundation in place. So now I use my regular loose powder to set my foundation and then use a fluffy brush (ELF's Studio Complexion Brush) to dust this over areas where I get oily and it still keeps the shine away all day. continued >>

on 1/9/2012 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a makeup snob. But, after plopping down $35 for a small jar of Make Up For Ever's HD powder, I decided to risk $6 and try this. Best I can tell, the products are nearly identical. This powder is stark white, and as with any HD product, you *have* to apply with an extremely light hand (I use my MAC kabuki brush) then blend & buff like mad or you'll end up looking ghostly and even worse in pictures. Don't apply this like you apply your regular powder - use only a tiny bit and buff it in very well. I use this lightly after my foundation, and then apply my regular powder on top. This gives me a matte, velvety, airbrushed finish, that lasts all day. The powder itself is finely milled and gives a beautiful, soft focus finish. I don't use the puff it came with. The only dislike about this is the packaging - while you get a very generous amount, for some reason it is very messy and the powder tends to fall everywhere and make kind of a mess. I take out & throw away the sifter and the puff, and just dip my brush directly into the powder. Much less messy that way! Overall this is a great product for the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ok so my review on this powder is comparing it to my other HD powders from other brands. Example MUFE and MAC so if you are curious how this compares check out this review.
Recently I have been VERY much so into the HD makeup world as I really think it helps my 26 yr old skin out A LOT esp cause I do youtube videos in HD quality so I try to look my best :-)
So the 3 HD powders I have are
ELF HD Powder
MUFE HD Powder
MAC HD Powder
So my fav out of all 3 is the MUFE one but this is not a review for that one. I can say that I use the MUFE one for all over my face so much then the MAC one when I run out of the MUFE one for all over my face. They are both so finely milled and do not leave a white cast behind. I use all of the for a setting powder for my concealer but lately I have been using the ELF one only since I have it and there is so much of it LOL! The ELF one has far less silica in it compared to the others but still serves its purpose. I got it half off a long time ago and do enjoy it but since I have tried the others I have noticed a HUGE difference in what it does. The ELF one needs to be reapplied A LOT during the day and the others do not. So if you are looking for something that is going to last a long time on the skin the ELF one is not for you. For under eye concealer setting it does work wonderful sort of like Benefit Powderflauge. I also HATE the friggin packaging! I wish i never pulled the whole sticker off UGH it flies EVERYWHERE when I open it so what I did was transfer some into another pot to use cause I feel I waste so much when i open it. If you just bought this or are looking to DO NOT take the whole sticker off just poke hole in it with a needle cause that will allow some out but not as much if you take the sticker off just poke like 2 holes in and thats all you will need. I do enjoy this powder I just feel there are more fillers in it the the actual silica which is most likely right cause it is only $6 you get what you pay for!
Thanks for reading!!

on 7/3/2012 1:28:00 AM

1. Price: For $6.00, you get a product that rivals the most expensive ones out there and even surpasses their quality.

2. Packaging: Let's face it, no product comes without at least one flaw and the packaging is this product's only flaw. The bulky jar is not travel friendly. I just slapped some gorilla glue on each hole in the sifter with the exception of a few in order to avoid spillage. I like the look of the jar, all they should do is add a sifter with a snapping lid that closes.

3. Quality: This powder is finely milled. If you dab some between your fingers it feels sooooo soft. When applied to the skin it makes everything smoother. It is way better than MUFE HD POWDER....WAY BETTER!!!!!!!

-SIDENOTE-

Today I was at my sister's house and my 12yr old niece asked me: "What happened to the little holes in your face?" She was referring to my enlarged pores. I told her: "What about them?" And explained to her that the enlarged pores were partially caused to the toll that cancer treatments took on my skin. She then told me: "No, I mean they're not there anymore, I don't see them." Oh my God, this reinforced my love for this powder.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I'm so glad I read the reviews here! Having read up on the ingredients, this is one of the cleanest setting powders around. If you have no problems with silicones (and I don't except in my hair) this is the best you'll find. There's nothing in this setting powder that is suspected to aggravate or, over prolonged use, build up and cause unpleasant allergic reactions.

I popped one into my last Beauty Joint haul early in the year and just crossed my fingers that it didn't dry my skin out as have other setting powders. I still have a seriously oily T-zone but I don't need products for younger oily skin that suck out the moisture where I don't have any to spare. I'm also well into being post-menopausal and my skin has become more sensitive, plus is displaying the early signs of crepiness. Until now, my skin has been looking better without any makeup than with the products I love to use to even out my complexion. Everything from Jane Iredale to Eshiko to... well, everything leaves my complexion looking like a photo of the the lunar surface. Every setting powder rides into the uneven surface and drags BB creams and foundations into the lines. This doesn't! Most setting powders dry my cheeks and upper forehead out. This doesn't! The MOST unbelievable part is that it is so cheap. Oh, yes, I'll be repurchasing in twos in the future. Beauty Joint & Cherry Culture have taken up to 3 or 4 weeks to arrive (to Australia). As I haven't even wanted to use my other powders since it arrived, this is now permanently on my backups list!

Yes, like all of the supposedly 'translucent' powders you will get a white caste if you decide to go comedy slapstick classics with it and thwack it on with a giant powder puff. You truly only need a sparing amount on your favourite powder brush to do the job of setting & mattifying and actually blurring the lines. Yay! It's everything I want from a powder except colour. I already have coloured powder for days I couldn't be bothered with anything except evening out my complexion. I can dust this over the top of the ordinary powders & achieve an 'I've spent time sloshing around with primer & waiting for it to settle' blurring & primed effect!

I hate the package. Even though I only ever lift the corner of the plastic seal to ensure that only a minimum amount of powder comes out, this has far too much space to the lid (once the powder puff has been removed) and awkward corners to make it look sleek & square which catch the powder, meaning that I end up with a lot of waste & mess, as well as time tapping at it too gingerly to get any meaningful amount out, thus opening & closing it more than I should have to. Easy solution: I transfer it into a cleaned powder dispenser (like the Jane Iredale one), seal the perforated cover, and use a pin to puncture a few of the holes. Viola: troubles over.

PS As with any powders, sprays and cosmetics that are light enough for particles to float around you, learn to take a deep breath when applying and step out of the cloud around you if you need to take a breath while working with it. Any particles of this nature are NOT good to breathe in. Unless you're a professional MUA constantly exposed to silicones and talcs, using such products is not dangerous if you just use a little common sense.

EDIT (or PPS) one day later:
In re-reading my review I feel I ought to state that this isn't a miracle product. By your mid-50's you'd have to be fairly naive to expect to look 20 years younger by dusting on a powder (or to believe in miracle products). The only semi-miracles come in the form of injectables, lasers and surgical knife. It is, however, definitely the best powder I've come across for creating a more flattering complexion. The pores with stretchmarks, and the sagging, wrinkled skin don't disappear disappear as if you'd used an eraser. I wouldn't want anyone to feel disappointed when they discover that it isn't a miracle spackle: just the best, most comfortable product I've found for mattifying and softening up the general appearance of my skin.

on 3/5/2012 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A little goes a long way and gives a soft focused look when used as finishing powder. Seems to reduce look of fine lines and pores. Overuse could come out a bit powdery but has never gone cakey on me. Seemed the same as MUFE HD Powder at a fraction of the price.

Uses:
-Buff small amount with kabuki brush over bbcream/tinted moisturizer/foundation to cut shine.
-With a small round brush I sweep a tiny amount on top of my eye concealer. Keeps it in place without sinking into lines.
-After applying lipstick/lipliner/gloss, with small brush sweep powder just above lip-line/lipstick to sharpen the line and keep lip products from traveling.
-If foundation seems a tad dark this helps lighten a bit.
-Sets foundation on legs. Seems to keep foundation on legs without transfer better than other powders. Very useful for back of knees.
------------------------------
Problems:
-Use with caution in photographs.
-Can be too drying for some skin types. I can't use on flakey skin days.
-Might give white cast to darker skin tones.
-Too much looks ghastly.
-Not great with bronzed looks.

As others said, leave sticker on sifter and poke a few holes through the tape/sifter so product doesn't come out too rapidly. Apply clear tape and poke holes through it, if you've already removed sticker. I turn container over with top on and use the little bit of product left behind in the top to avoid using too much.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

What an amazing product. e.l.f.'s studio High Definition powder is often compared to Make Up For Ever's HD powder and often comes out on top. The trick to mastering this product is in the application. Forget the puff that comes with it. This is a less is more product which is best applied with a fan brush. It sets make-up beautifully - bit here is the best bit. It makes a wonderful mineral make-up primer. Many people have problems using liquid based primers under mineral foundation, as the primer tends to 'ball-up'. By applying e.l.f.'s studio High Definition powder first, it minimizes th look of pores and fine lines and holds mineral foundation beautifully. It stops mineral foundation from oxidising or breaking up on the skin. This is a must have product for everyone - OK sorry e.l.f. but the packaging is awful, so messy and impractical (I decant mine into a better container) but this is a small price to pay for such a high performance product that comes at such a reasonable price.

on 11/12/2011 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

My Shade in Black Opal transitions between Nutmeg, Bronze and Carob.

PROS:
-The Price is RIGHT!
- A Little goes a long way, you will have this forever and an hour!
- Smooth and finely milled, if used right will leave you looking photoshopped
- Cute presentation

CONS:
- Its easy to end up looking like a ghostly mess if you are not light handed, especially if your skin is DRY.
- The sieve holes are WAY TOO BIG for the product so you end up getting product exploding out everywhere if you are not careful. Keep the puff in its place and you wont end up wasting it all.
- It is kinda-sorta powdery.

After completing the whole look and misting, this product I use to give me back a lil of my matteness is the centre of my face. Really minimizes fine lines and large pores.. Smoothes the appearance.

If you have dark skin (Rev. Colorstay Cappuccino and above) this may be ashy if u set with it looking unless you mist afterwards.
If you have deep dark skin stay away from all the above. Visit your local theatrical store and purchase the Ben Nye translucent setting powder in Sienna, Chestnut or Ebony. Its just $5 and you get a tonne of product.

HTH

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

on 8/7/2010 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I've been loyal to the MUFE HD loose powder since it came out but it broke my heart to have to have to shell out so much $$$ for it. I stumbled on a review for the ELF HD powder and found that the ingredients are exactly the same! Why on earth would I spend 10X the price for the exact same product? This stuff is truly a HG loose powder! It's stark white but don't let that scare you away from trying it...the finished look is nothing short of a miracle! A very light dusting with a powder brush is all it takes for a beautiful airbrushed finished. I love that it takes all the shine away but sill leaves a slight dewyness...escpecially when I spritz my face with plain water when I'm done with my makeup. Sally's sells these tiny spray bottles that are great for spritzing. My dry skin LOVES this! It just sort of blends everything together while setting and bluring my foundation for the ultimate perfect finish...IMHO. :-)