E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I was so excited when I saw this on the website! It looks like a knockoff of MUFE's HD Microfinish powder (which I haven't used so I can't compare). When I got it in the mail I was surprised how big the jar is. I couldn't find a product amount anywhere but there looks to be a good amount of powder in the container. When I first felt it with my finger I was really amazed, it feels SUPER smooth, like silk. I did a light application on my face with a kabuki brush and it totally mattified my skin and gave it a very smooth finish. It also went on totally clear, even though the powder is WHITE. One of the best E.L.F. products I've tried, I have a feeling I'll be using this often. Will definitely buy again! A tip for anyone using this though, use some tape to cover up part of the holes in the sifter. There's a LOT and you can end up with wayyyy too much powder in the lid and in the sifter and alot of waste.

EDIT: I've been using this for a few months now and I still think this is an amazing product, however I use this in a different way than I did when I first got it. This is more of a finishing powder than a setting powder. It works great for oil control but not for keeping foundation in place. So now I use my regular loose powder to set my foundation and then use a fluffy brush (ELF's Studio Complexion Brush) to dust this over areas where I get oily and it still keeps the shine away all day. continued >>

on 10/23/2009 12:16:00 PM

I was excited to try this product, as I just cannot afford the MUFE HD powder. Let me start off by saying that I have a very oily T-zone, and this powder controls my oil ALL DAY! I don't have to use blotter sheets throughout the day when I use this. I do my makeup @ 5 am, and when I wash my face around 7pm, still no shine, amazing! This will definately be a staple in my collection! A MUST HAVE!!!

on 10/26/2009 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! It is super fine therefore it just sinks into my skin and it actually does look flawless and it feels super soft..yes it is white but like I said it just sinks into your skin....this is an amazing product for the price and the container is BIG!...is great to set your makeup!

on 10/29/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

For background I've used both MAC's Prep+Prime Transparent Finish Powder and pure silica spheres from TKB Trading. Can't afford the MUFE HD Powder, so I can't compare it to that,. The ELF powder is silky and completely transparent once buffed into the skin. LIke the MAC powder it controls oil wonderfully, lasts all day through school and work and my face hasn't had any adverse reactions.

I would give the ELF powder a slight edge over the MAC and TKB trading silica powder because of the packaging. Using any of these can be EXTREMELY messy, but the ELF powder comes with a little puff that covers the sifter holes completely so powder doesn't spill over the side when I'm rushing to apply it.

Also when this was first shown on ELF's website, it was $3.00 now its $6.00 and who knows they may raise the price again. If anyone wants an ELF coupon code, you can use wwybfifty for 50% off the studio line, up to $15.00

on 10/31/2009 3:10:00 PM

I've ordered this product a month ago, but my shipment came without this and I wrote to ELF to let them know. I was incredibly relieved when they agreed to resend me this powder instead of reimbursing me. So finally I've given it a try for a couple of days now and have mostly positive things to sa about it.

Firstly, if any of you have their "complexion perfection" powder and hated it, I think you should give this HD powder a chance because it does a great job at absorbing and controlling your oils without caking.

Secondly, it gives a very smooth/velvet touch finish which you would naturally expect from a silica based powder. I haven't taken a picture or gone on film to see if this does indeed give a "soft focus" effect, but from what I can tell by looking in the mirror, my pores are less noticeable.

Now, there's one ding on this product and that is the colour. It's white and supposedly translucent; however, you have to be VERY careful because it's not completely translucent. My strong suggestion is to use it with a delicate hand and MINIMAL product because if you use too much, your face will look like you've buffed white baby powder on. A good trick is to dab a bit of the product with a big fluffy powder brush and pat it on to your oily t-zone. Then remove the leftover product from the brush or use a clean brush and buff your face out. Seriously, a teeny bit of this product can cover your entire face and then some.

Now this brings me to my third positive note, that it's economical in every way. Not only is it incredibly inexpensive ($6 on the website), you only need to use a teensy weensy bit of product every application so this jar will last.

All in all, great product and would recommend to people who have oily t-zone.

on 10/31/2009 7:35:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I love this powder! Its one of my first E.L.F products and I'm so impressed. I just get a little on my big powder brush and buff my face. So easy to use and affordable!

Its white--but when buffed on it sinks into your skin giving it a silk feel. I use this over my concealer or foundation and its gives me a nice soft skin appearance. I gave it a 1 on price because this pot will probably last me for awhile! :)

on 11/3/2009 11:04:00 AM

This is a very high quality powder, and only $6.00. It gives the skin a soft, silky feel, and controls shine better than other powders. I use it as a primer since it contains dimethicone.

on 11/6/2009 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this for 50% off so the price was amazing for 3 bucks. This is like the mufe HD powder but ten times better in my opinion. It has silica but also dimethicone which provides a smooth surface. It comes in a sturdy black container with a big puff inside that is totally usable. There's also a sifter to keep the powder from being too messy. I am finding this to be as effective for me as mac blot and is not too ashy for my fair skin. I use the fyrinnae silica gel as a primer with liquid foundation and then this as a setting powder by using the puff and then blending with a big fluffy brush. My skin is flawless for hours longer than without the two silica products. ELF is starting to really impress me with their studio products. A definite recommend.

on 11/6/2009 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Also bought this during the 50% off event! Its a must get! The packaging is very sleek. Careful not to store it upside down, it was a little messy the very first time I used it.

I used Bobbi Brown winter tinted moisturizer as my foundation that night and it was extra dewey. TOO SHINEY. I used the HD powder to set it and it was amazing! The first dab had a little too much powder (stored upside accidently), so the white powder was visible initially but blends in with little effort. You just dab with the little poof. After this, I do my usually MAC skin-finish natural in both medium and medium plus to control the coverage, then finish off with a MAC skinfinish Soft and Finish for a highlight and shimmer. The powder completely offset the dewey/oily look and it was instantly matte.

BEST $3 I've EVER SPENT. WILL BUY INDEFINITELY.

If you have any wrinkles around your eyes and you don't want to set your makeup with powder because it makes you look frighteningly older, this is for you,it sets your make up without caking or highlighting flaws and leaves your skin silky and matte. Must Have!!!