E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.7

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have both the regular white one and the Shimmer shade. Yes I know, shimmer and by choice:)
Since the white one is well covered here as a very good alternative for the price to other HD powders, I will write about the shimmer shade.
Yes, it does have the sparkles but not as bad as you think. You want to have a good laugh, I try the extent of sprinkles by seeing my face in car's side window mirror in the sun.
If you use it over a matte foundation, it will give you some dewiness.
It did not add any oiliness look to my face. And the sprinkles did not last long either.
It is very similar to the Hard Candy Tiki highlighter (which I have and it's hard to find at the store shelf) if you use it on your cheekbones.
I place tape on little more than half of the box and it does not pour out ( just like the white one).
Would I buy it again, I can't, it's a lot of product!

on 12/12/2014 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just received this two days ago -- I'll compare it to It Cosmetics expensive No More Pores powder because it feels exactly the same. I have used it now for 2 days and no irritation, breakouts, etc. I got this during ELF's buy one get one free event -- SO CHEAP! Love it.

on 9/20/2014 9:56:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have dry skin, so I have a hard time using powders unless I have gotten way too dewey moisturizing. This is different, as its doesn't avsorb oil. It's more of a finishing powder.. I use a big brush to get a little all over and then go over the area with a kabuki brush and press down. That presses the grains in. The powder smooths my foundation without making me look caky. It kind of blurs your pores and softens your lines. It will keep in in place some and does help with shine a bit. But it s not mattifying. I tried the Gross Method of using this powder under foundation and it worked OK, if you use a moist sunscreen or primer. On er or over the effect is subtle but nice. It isn't drying. If you hate most powder, but need something to set yoy foundation, this might be for you. It is dimehticone so it might break some people out.

I don't love the puff, but keeps the powder from getting all over the place in the box. . I notice old powder on the puff has gotten yellow. The box is very cute looking. It is a big box and not something I'd carry. It's not that kind of powder anyway. It is messy. For the price it's a really nice translucent finishing powder. It doesn't make me sneeze or allergic which most powders do.

on 7/18/2014 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one time E.L.F. has vastly improved their track record of problematic packaging. This loose powder has a screw-on cap. The jar is square-ish and chic black. The powder is truly sheer and mattes well. I left half of the plastic over the sifter holes which allows enough product to come out but helps control the messy factor. This seems comparable to NYX's high definition powder at a much better price ($6 at Target). EDIT: Upon closer observation I notice this does have a subtle sparkle which is probably a characteristic of mica. Not a problem except in direct sun when it definitely shows up.

on 10/2/2013 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

this is the perfect all-over powder and it does NOT make my wrinkles look like valleys. the packaging is great and the top stays secure. what i like most is that i do not break out in lumps like i always do with Bare Minerals. this powder adds no color but keeps the shine down and isn't glittery. My makeup stays matte and it does not cake up or streak. Good show E.L.F.!

on 6/3/2013 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

wow...This stuff is the bomb..makes my skin look almost perfect..but natural...love love love

on 10/18/2012 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

OMG, HG for sure!! Thanks to all you ladies who wrote reviews - this is awesome and the only powder I have been able to use on my sensative skin in years. Most have mica in them and it is very irritating. This stuff makes your makeup look great and stay that way all day. It may look little dry at first but after a while your skin looks like velvet. I even tried it when I got home in the evening after work on top of my foundation and shiney nose - there was no caking, streaking or anything else - it just looked great. Wonderfull product! I will probably buy a couple more just to stock up.

on 7/2/2011 8:20:00 PM

I got a sample of this from a friend. We were talking about MUFE's HD powder and she suggested this. It's not quite as fine-milled as MUFE, but it's not bad at all. Sets fdt. very well and keeps oilies at bay. And the difference in price cannot be ignored. I will get this from their website ($6) and save the MUFE for special occasions. If you want a good translucent powder that will keep you matte, but don't want to spend the $30 MUFE costs, get this powder.

on 4/15/2011 3:49:00 PM

I had read that silica powder was a great mattifier, but I was put off by the price of most of the ones I saw. When I found out that E.L.F. had one for $6 I just had to try it.

It instantly mattifies but doesn't leave the skin looking or feeling dry. Because it has virtually no texture it doesn't make lines and wrinkles more apparent, in fact it seems to diminish their appearance somewhat. It gives my skin a glow that isn't at all shiny. It mattifies for most of the day and can easily be reapplied over makeup because it is so lightweight.

This is something I will buy again and again.

on 2/21/2010 11:13:00 AM

I have tried almost all the mattifying and/or HD powders and for the price you cannot beat this one. This is one of ELF's many hits and for $6.00 this is a great value & product. The packaging of all loose powders never seems perfect because loose powders are difficult to control. That being said, I find taking the insert out of this container works best as I get frustrated at how little comes out with the strainer. This does not give any coverage or color but is perfect over liquid foundations just to set the foundation and mattify. I buy a couple of these at a time.