E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

on 11/15/2016 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a lovely finely milled powder that works as well as high end. I have super oily peri-menopausal skin; I use this after my primer BEFORE my foundation, then after to set everything. My makeup lasts so much longer before it breaks down (I get a good 10 hours out of most foundations). The act that it 's super cheap is just an extra bonus.

on 9/19/2016 3:05:00 PM

I use this powder mainly to create slip over an eyeshadow base. I start with my primer, usually a paint pot or concealer, and set it with this. Eyeshadow glides on smoothly and as long as I'm using a reliable palette, the colors blend beautifully without making a muddy mess.

I have tried it to set my face and undereye and it really highlights fine lines, even when I set it with spray. The flashback is another downfall. It is extremely messy but when working with powder this fine, it comes with the territory.

I would replace it only if I lost it, because I'll probably never run out. The value on this product is amazing.

on 3/30/2016 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am once again amazed at E.L.F. To make such a fantastic finishing powder and sell for such a low cost continues to win my loyalty. Make no mistake about it, this powder is NOT as silky as some higher end ones, but for the price, there is nothing else out there comparable to it in my opinion. There are a lot of reviews about how bulky the packaging is. I kind of like it. I don't travel with it, I leave it on my counter and it looks nice. I also don't have any issue with messy caps or the like, rather I pour a tiny amount into a small container I keep especially for this purpose. I do this with all my loose powders as I find it much easier to dip my brush in and tap off the excess without worrying about cleaning the inside of the cap or rings, etc.

Do not be scared by the stark white look of this product. Use the tiniest amount, seriously, less is more! This powder will indeed blur your pores and help control shine (the oily girl in me loves this quality). If you do want to travel with this or keep with you for touch ups I highly recommend buying one of those small refillable travel bottle kits and pour some in the tiny screw on lid container. This is what I use to dip my brush in at home. The kit is great to pour rose water or other setting sprays into the small spray bottles by the way, which is always handy if you feel you've applied too much powder as well.

The only reason I didn't give this a full 5 lippies is it loses points for the feel when I compare this to It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores which feels so silky and velvety on the skin. But truth be told, this does a better job of shine control and blurring or minimizing appearance of pores than anything else I've used to date. So I will probably repurchase if/when it runs out but that could take some time as there is a ton of product and you use so little.

on 3/2/2016 4:19:00 PM

This powder has a really nice, fine texture, and comes with an excellent powder puff (one with a ribbon on the back to stick your fingers through—I use it for other powders.) The lid screws on, which is nice for travel, or to prevent losing it all when you knock it off the table, but it makes it harder to get the product back into the main jar after tapping your brush off into the lid. Overall, I'm impressed with it for the price.

on 2/20/2016 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this loose powder last year and have been using it ever since. I really love the way this sets my foundation without leaving it looking cakey or powdery. This is a super finely milled powder and it appears white in the container, but it goes on transparent and does not leave a white chalky look to your skin.This goes on silky smooth and after buffing this in, it feels like natural skin. I can't even tell I'm wearing powder this is so light on the skin! It sets my makeup and looks natural on. It does not cover blemishes but it isn't designed to do that anyway. I use a fluffy powder brush to apply this and have never tried the powder puff that comes inside. That little puff is necessary though as I was going to throw it away since I don't use it anyway, but once you put the lid back on and then store this, any movement will disperse the superfine powder through the holes and then you have a mess when you remove the lid for the next use. I discovered that the first time so the powder puff went right back in to keep the powder in the bottom of the container. I've never used the puff for actual application as it just seems like it would apply the powder much too heavily. I don't know though and that is just my opinion. I use this for an everyday natural look and I really like the way it works. It looks natural and not powdery and dry. I have mature skin so I have to be careful with powders as they are not all alike. I like this powder so well, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Love, love, love!!!! OK so this is really inexpensive, but wow, is it good! My foundation is quite oily due to the high level of sunscreen in it. I needed a powder that I could apply lightly to mattify the overall look. Anyway, this cost me $13 Australian and you get a lot of powder for the money. The powder itself looks very white in the tub, but applies translucent. I use this on my forehead, nose and chin. I also apply a dusting just prior to applying eye makeup so that I can dust it off along with any eye makeup specks. I have one complaint. They really need to design a container that you can completely close off so that no powder escapes. This is so fine that powder will go everywhere if you are not careful. One small shake of the container sends out way too much powder. Many powders now have lids that can be turned to cover the holes and this powder desperately needs this. This is an absolute bargain for the price. I will definitely repurchase.

I am stunned that everyone likes this powder! First of all, it shreds my primer right off my face I AND I MEANS SHREDS!! My other powders NEVER did this. It also shreds my foundation off. What the heck is in this stuff?

Second, the mess is ridiculous!! It's virtually impossible to put this on a brush or puff without having the powder fly everywhere. It's all over the container and on my vanity. I was super careful in using only the tiniest amounts too.

As far as I'm concerned. ELF created a disaster with this product, and it's going right back to Target for a refund. TERRIBLE!

on 4/28/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a perfect dupe for Make Up Forever's HD powder. It has the same ingredients and looks and feels exactly the same. It works really well and doesn't sink into fine lines and pores. It also smooths and blurs little imperfections. I use it over my foundation (Dior Forever Flawless) and it gives me a beautiful finish. However, if you use too much, you run the risk of looking very pale because the powder itself is white although if you use the correct amount, it's invisible on the skin. So be sparing when applying it. I can't believe I ever spent $30 for the MUF powder when for $6, the ELF powder does the same exact thing! Who knew? I'm so glad I found a makeup guru's tutorial on youtube that recommended the ELF product. And I could swear that there's actually more product in the ELF package. So good benefits all around. I definitely recommend this powder. You don't need to spend more for the same thing:)

on 4/13/2015 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This clear powder is a perfect dupe for Make Up Forever's HD powder. The ELF powder is $6 and the MUF is about $30. They contain the exact same ingredients and look and feel the same. They even contain the exact same amount of product. I have been using the Urban Decay Naked powder, which is tinted and costs $34. I had seen a YouTube review of several dupes and this dupe was included. The makeup guru definitely said not to waste money on MUF powder, that ELF was the exact same product. Well, the next time I was in Target, I bought some and much to my surprise, she was right! I've used both products and truthfully, I could never distinguish a difference between the two. Bravo! My local Target is frequently sold out of the HD powder, so I've ordered it online from ELF, buying several at a time to stock up. This is a great product and works so well. It smooths my skin and sets my foundation and blush and seems to control shine too. Better yet, it's totally invisible! What more could you ask for?