e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder

4.3

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 10/2/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Love this powder because it does not change the color of my foundation or settle on my lines. It makes my skin look smooth. I actually love the packaging because it accommodates my big fluffy powder brush perfectly as It picks up some powder. I then swirl it around on the inside of the lid to work it into the brush for a more even dusting/application.

I hate to admit I'd been using too much of this until I realised it is NOT a setting powder; you have to apply it very sparingly over foundation and powder and I find it helps to spritz it afterwards very lightly with setting spray. That way imperfections are blurred, there's no white cast in photos and it's not in the least bit drying. I wish ELF would improve the container so it doesn't spill everywhere but at the price I can't really complain too much. I love this so much I have five spares (I'm not kidding)!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Simple review. This is just as good as muf hd. Love it.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This products has been touted as a cheaper dupe for the MUFE HD Powder. There are additional 'cone type ingredients in this product that make it not a dupe. This powder gives off a white cast so only the most pale skins will not experience a white cast, especially in flash photography, This powder leaves a very powdery looking finish as well. The oil controlling properties of this powder are limited as I saw shine breakthrough within an hour whereas I get no oilies all day with another pure silica powder (not the MUFE HD one). Also the presence of 'cones in this product make it not suitable for skins that can not tolerate 'cones. I would only recommend this to very pale people who do not need oil control and whose skin does not break out from 'cones and even then I would follow up with a spray like MAC Fix+ to get rid of the powdery look,