e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium age: 36-43
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

4.4

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The packaging with its small holes makes a huge mess. I do like the softness of the powder but do find it leaves a white cast on my skin. Decent oil control.

on 3/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a no-frills loose powder. I like it for setting my makeup. I don't find it uneven, but I saw a number of other reviews that mentioned that. I agree the packaging is not great - I keep the sponge in it to prevent the powder from getting all over the place.

on 2/13/2017 3:13:00 PM

I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. I'm really on the fence about it, leaning to NO. I tried this powder today (not the first time) and it was just awful. I had to wash my face at lunchtime and redo my makeup, it was that bad! I used a puff to apply and it just didn't work.

As others have stated, it's not finely milled so you get some chunks here and there. Applied with a brush, it's just awful unless you have a VERY light hand. Use one of those duo-fiber brushes to pick up only a tiny amount (and none of the chunks), and dust your face lightly. If I do that, I get a very nice, poreless finish. When applying with the puff, a light hand is also necessary, otherwise you end up with a white cast.

The price on this powder is great. The packaging is the worst I've ever seen for such a product. The holes are too big and too much comes out. If it goes in your bag, be careful before opening it cause it will fly all over the place. Not a great powder for on-the-go. I'm going to keep trying with the duo-fiber brush and see if I can get my moneys worth from this. I will not repurchase it, though.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

THIS IS GREAT POWDER,AND CHEAP,IT HAS ONLY TWO INGREDIENTS VERY SAFE.ITS A FINE POWDER WITH A FLAWLESS FINISH,BUT IT CAN OXIDISE YOUR FOUNDATION.ITS REALLY A GOOD POWDER.I HAVE THE YELLOW TOO,THAT IT GOOD TO ADD A YELLOW BASED TONED TO FOUNDATION.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Did you ever have one of those face-palm moments? When you want to give yourself a Gibbs-slap? Yeah, me too. I wish I'd known about this before I bought the MUFE HD powder. In my defense I didn't know E.L.F existed at the time. If I knew then what I...grrr!

Okay, now I feel better. A bit.

I know that E.L.F is a bit (a lot) hit-and-miss, but this HD powder got such wonderful reviews that I had to try it myself.

If you were to take the MUFE product out of the container and did the same with the E.L.F version, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Truly, you wouldn't. As with the MUFE powder, it pretty much is a case where it does exactly as promised. I'm probably the millionth person to say this, too: A little goes a LONG way! We're going for a polished look, not a "Ohai I just woke up in the morgue" look.

There really isn't a whole lot more I can say which hasn't been said better by someone else though I do have a hint of advice:

Before you walk out of the door, get your friend, your spouse, heck even your kids, to take a photo WITH THE FLASH beforehand to make sure you're not doing "a Kidman".

(Yes I made that term up but it stems from the truth - Nicole's white splotchies have become the classic example of "when white powder goes wrong")

Otherwise, believe me - I'm bitter enough for all of us because I didn't find E.L.F's version before MUFE, so just enjoy your product. It's SO worth it!

on 6/20/2014 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is great! Helps keep the shine down during summer and gives me a subtle ethereal glow. Never noticed it giving me a white cast in any kind of harsh or bright light and it's never caused me to break out. I like to use a the enclosed puff to apply it, and I do replace that frequently.

on 5/26/2014 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this powder for keeping oil in check. I was a little worried that I would end up looking like Casper using a white powder, and I have to admit when it's freshly applied it does look quite pale but around 20 - 30 mins after application it seems to "settle in" and the white cast goes away. It does a better job of soaking up oil than many other powders I've used and it doesn't look heavy or cakey.

I've seen some pics of celebs who have been caught out with this powder - it seems it doesn't work too well with flash photography so you might want to avoid this if you'll be having your photo taken - I like it a lot for every day use and the price is pretty reasonable.

on 2/13/2014 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this stuff really surprised me. I picked it up on a lark for three bucks and would have been delighted with it if I had paid $50.

I bought it in shimmer, which has a slight beige tint to it, but it goes on really sheer. It makes my skin look luminous and smooth, and really corrects for fine lines and color irregularities in my skin tone.

It also works superbly to set under eye concealer, keeping it from creasing without making my skin look dried out like matte powders will. Lasts a really long time. Helps conceal my rosacea without taking the life out of my skin.

Negatives: none that I can think of. Great product for a great price.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this product on a whim. I really needed some powder, wanted an HD one, and could more easily get to the ELF brand rather than traveling to Sephora for the NARS one (Sephora is 50 min. drive for me).

Packagin: First the packaging is VERY elegant. I couldnt' believe I was buying ELF! I love the matte black and the rounded square shape. I took a lippie off because because the container is HUGE!!! I just ordered a small travel loose powder container from Amazon (haven't received yet) to take this powder with me on an upcoming vacation. Who knows, if I like the simpler packaging, I may use it all the time like this.

Tip: One thing I did to make this powder not quite as messy. When I took label off the sifter, I only partially removed it, exposing just 2-3 holes. This powder is ULTRA fine-milled. The finest I've ever used (I'm not usually a powder person - more on that in a minute). A few holes is all it takes easily access product.

What I'm using product for: I have had such DRY skin FOREVER. I've been really upping my game and my skin has responded marvelously and is more in the "normal" range. Also my sunscreen makes me a little shiny. I needed something to knock back the shine in t-zone.

Performance: It is very matte but not too matte. I do like a glowier look and just add some highlighter on key spots. Most importantly LOOKS AIRBRUSHED. It looks SOFT FOCUS. No cakey look. No "powdery church lady" look. I've never used powder like this.

BTW, I have since tried the NARS LRP, I really couldn't tell a difference. The NARS has some shimmer in container but you cannot see it once you apply it. Note: the ELF powder has no shimmer.

HG!

on 1/18/2014 8:53:00 PM

I wanted to love this product; I really, really did.

It has a nice, smooth texture--so smooth, in fact, that when I got a little product on the outside of the container, it slipped out of my hands and onto the floor and spilled out most of the powder. So be careful when handling. :)

The container itself is rather bulky. It could have been designed much better, more like a standard round container instead of squared off corners.

I like that this product worked well at hiding my pores and kept my T-zone reasonably in check.

The puff it comes with is great! I toss it in the washer in a lingerie bag with my light-colors/whites and it holds up well. I've had a couple of these for months and see no sign of wear and tear, despite the number of times they've been through a wash cycle.

Unfortunately, this powder made me break out, so I had to discontinue using it. The list of ingredients says it may contain mica. I think my skin might have a problem with mica.