E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.3

on 10/13/2017 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Very mattifying and does help makeup last longer, but very drying, cakey looking and messy to use. Highlights dry patches. Didn't work for me at all! Not one for dry skin. Maybe better for oily skin

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use this powder for everything. Seriously. Under foundation, over foundation, no foundation, even if I haven't washed my face (wince!). It's just the fastest and easiest way to get some soft focus, mattifying going on. If I apply mid-day, it's like it 'freezes' any oils on my face and nullifies them (still may need foundation touch ups if it's broken down in t-zone). It never settles in my pores ad makes them look gross...that's a must!

I don't use the puff, I shake some into the lid and swirl my ELF complexion brush around - then I dust it on all over. Done.

I reviewed the pressed version previously, and I do prefer that version for two reasons. 1. The powder in the loose version has some larger/grittier pieces that are hard to pick up and apply - the pressed form is very uniform. 2. The loose form packaging is HUGE, and screws open and closed - the pressed form is flip-top.

Anyway, I've almost finished a whole container of this and already have another on hand. It's just so versatile and nice. I stock up during ELF's big sales, so...8g for $3 US? Yes, please!

on 3/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a no-frills loose powder. I like it for setting my makeup. I don't find it uneven, but I saw a number of other reviews that mentioned that. I agree the packaging is not great - I keep the sponge in it to prevent the powder from getting all over the place.

on 3/12/2017 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a good product considering price and look of the skin after application. Packaging is not so good, but considering the price, product is good. For somebody on budget this is worth trying.

on 2/13/2017 3:13:00 PM

I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. I'm really on the fence about it, leaning to NO. I tried this powder today (not the first time) and it was just awful. I had to wash my face at lunchtime and redo my makeup, it was that bad! I used a puff to apply and it just didn't work.

As others have stated, it's not finely milled so you get some chunks here and there. Applied with a brush, it's just awful unless you have a VERY light hand. Use one of those duo-fiber brushes to pick up only a tiny amount (and none of the chunks), and dust your face lightly. If I do that, I get a very nice, poreless finish. When applying with the puff, a light hand is also necessary, otherwise you end up with a white cast.

The price on this powder is great. The packaging is the worst I've ever seen for such a product. The holes are too big and too much comes out. If it goes in your bag, be careful before opening it cause it will fly all over the place. Not a great powder for on-the-go. I'm going to keep trying with the duo-fiber brush and see if I can get my moneys worth from this. I will not repurchase it, though.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 5/2/2016 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using this powder for about 5 years now. I'm very happy with it. Leaves a nice matte finish without emphasizing dry spots or fine lines.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

THIS IS GREAT POWDER,AND CHEAP,IT HAS ONLY TWO INGREDIENTS VERY SAFE.ITS A FINE POWDER WITH A FLAWLESS FINISH,BUT IT CAN OXIDISE YOUR FOUNDATION.ITS REALLY A GOOD POWDER.I HAVE THE YELLOW TOO,THAT IT GOOD TO ADD A YELLOW BASED TONED TO FOUNDATION.

Packaging is terrible, as if it is meant to sit nicely for its entire life and never get tossed in a purse. Found it became cakey and i don't have the oiliest skin ever. The worst is the white cast it creates. I see some have had success but i went back to my MUFE HD.