E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

3.8

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

on 12/15/2016 9:50:00 PM

this product works great and does the job u expect it to do. it feels so nice on your face . I love it. I love how affordable it is. I use it to bake under my eyes. great product!!

on 11/27/2016 11:03:00 PM

So, this powder is very mattifying. So mattifying, that it made the fine expression lines on my forehead look like deep, canyon wrinkles. So mattifying that it made my barely-there BB cream look flakey and cakey around my mouth. It seriously aged me 15 years with the lightest dusting to my t-zone and under-eye area. And it also was oddly whitening on me too.

If you are super oily you might like this. If you have normal to oily skin or drier, it will suck the hydration from your soul.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First I'll start off with the packaging. It comes in a black box like container that twists off and on. On the inside there is a powder puff and there is a sifter to keep powder from making a mess. The package is kind of big and bulky so its not really good for putting in your purse. I am ok with the packaging. So the powder I have is the white translucent one. I really really love this powder. I use it to set my entire face (I am light skinned) after applying foundation and concealer. At first when I put it on, you can see it on my face but then it just melts into my skin. And you can't even tell I have powder on my face. I do not get a white cast at all. The powder is very finely milled. It feels so soft and velvety. This is the best powder I have ever used. I do not know what I would do if this was ever discontinued. This is something I use everyday. This makes my makeup look flawless. It helps my foundation and concealer stay in place ALL DAY LONG. I use a large flat kabuki brush and just press it into my skin. It has no odor to it at all. You also get a lot of product. I only paid $6 so it is so affordable. This is a permanent staple product in my makeup bag and routine.

on 8/16/2016 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Nice product, close to my HG powder which is the NYX one, but I wish the packaging was different. I have no idea how to improve it as all of the loose powders seem to have this flaw, but if only the packaging weren't so terrible (as in, it gets product everywhere), I'd rate this higher. That being said, there are other loose powders with worse packaging so that part is a universal issue.

Not as finely milled as the NYX powder in my opinion, but truly translucent, which is great. Requires a little more blending than the NYX but not much, and truly does set my makeup for most of the day. Nice product overall.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Im reviewing the Shimmer HD powder. Personally I love it! Yes it has in shimmer particles. I've heard people say they find it glittery... I do not. It's more of a sparkle as this slightly peachy toned powder is extremely finely milled. It's definitely not a pearl sort of sheen. That said, I use this to set my highlighted areas and under my eyes if i want extra drama, just a dusting does the trick, then sweep on whatever highlighter I'm using over this. If I've used a cream highlighter only, i find this is even more perfect as it doesnt reduce the sheen of my highlighter and completely mattify the look like many setting powders tend to causing you to have to go in with a powder highlighter to bring back the glow. That product overload is a recipe for cake face.

This product is not an all over face powder. Absolutely just for areas you want to highlight...center of the nose, cheek bones, under eye, upper lip, chin etc. It is a HD powder so be cautious not to use too much product if taking flash photos or you may experience flashback. Apart from this I have taken beautiful professional flash photos using this powder with no disastrous results. It's also held up wonderfully to full nights of partying and kept me shine free.

I like the look of the packaging. Very cute on my vanity. Makes it appear much more expensive than it is but it does get messy fast because it is such a fine powder. Dont take the plastic completely off the shaker top; cut away maybe just under half of it and keep it up right, and youll be fine. I've put some in a smaller container for travel as it's also not particularly travel friendly packaging due to its bulkiness.

I've also heard people complain about the amount of product it contains for the price ($6) and I have to wonder if they're crazy as I've spent upwards of $40 for similar cosmetics with an equal amount and even less product in it.

All in all, if youre not timid about the use of highlighter products then you will adore this. If subtlety is your thing, then skip this and go for an ordinary translucent HD or other setting powder or opt for Sacha Buttercup powder or Ben Nye if you prefer a bright but matte powder to highlight and set your makeup.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have crazy oily skin and I use this with the Goss method (primer then powder then foundation) and it really keeps my oil under control! It does leave a white cast if you're not careful but my foundation is a smidgen too dark so I am not too fussed about it.

The packaging is awful so I listened to the other reviewers and only punctured a few holes through the sticker rather than remove the entire sticker.

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

on 3/19/2016 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Almost magical... It has a matte smooth finish, more of a natural 'real skin' appearance. I use this sparingly with a small brush over my t-zone and under my eyes for a no-makeup-makeup look over my invisible zinc sunscreen. Beautiful and affordable!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

4.5 stars
I bought this in Sheer over a year ago and use it regularly, and I still have well over half left. So you definitely get your money's worth with this product. Also, it's so finely milled that it doesn't get that weird shimmery or cakey look that some of the more expensive HD powders can get.

I knocked off a half star because it does get messy when it collects around the edges of the lid due to the way its packaged, and it can also be super easy to over apply.

* In order to not over apply this, I dip a brush into the powder and shake off the excess product into the lid. Then I use a DIFFERENT brush to swirl inside the lid and pick up just enough to swipe over my face lightly. This method prevents me from looking like a clown, and works like a charm with other loose powders as well. :)