e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium age: 25-29
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

3.9

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

Worst product I've used yet. It gives a decent finish, affordable price. But it gives a noticeable white cast, very chalky, way too much shimmer in it. The worst part was I broke out terribly from it, I usually get no breakouts, but when I do I get small pimples, but this gave me deep huge ones, I tried it a few times to make sure and it was definitely from this product. Then it gave me a horrible rash all over my entire face, I had to actually go to the doctor it was so bad. And I used nothing else besides this, so this was the cause. Be careful using this. I'm surprised because the eye powder is good, whatever is in this is very harsh and cheap so please be cautious.

I bought this since so many people suggested this powder. I've been using this powder alternately with my Mac loose finishing powder.
Somehow I still like the finish my Mac powder gives, it feels smoother. If you look at the powder particles, you can tell that Mac is more finely milled.

The upside is this powder is priced at the fraction of Mac powder. The price is the main reason why I tried this powder at the very first place. For the given price point, I would say the quality does not disappoint. Unless you're nitpicky like me, you probably won't really notice the difference between the two products.

I am absolutely not a fan of the packaging and the puff, it's not compact, it's not handy and when you try to open it, you can almost finish half of the powder (with half of it goes flying around your room, leaving white powdery cast).

I would re-purchase if I can't find better substitute or when I can't afford the Mac powder.

on 1/25/2016 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this in the summer of 2015 and still have more than 2/3 of the product still remaining.

Here are the pros and cons from my experience with the powder.

Pros:
1. Extremely matte
2. Makes your skin feel extremely smooth
3. Quite fine (on a scale of 1-10 it is about a 7, which is not too bad)
4. Lots of product
5. ONLY $6.00

Cons:
1. Extremely matte (Can't use all over my face when I have dry patches)
2. Accentuates dry patches
3. Tricky to use correctly (too much on the brush will give a white cast
4. Packaging is huge and often times very messy

Overall, this product is a few notches better than "just okay"
I don't think I would repurchase, as there is so much product, but if I run out... I'll think about it. As of now, I use the power just under my lash line to prevent my mascara from smudging (it really helps 100%)
I just can't use it all over my face right not because I have dry skin.
I emptied a but of this product into an empty (and very clean) L'oreal Infallible eyeshadow pot. It makes it incredibly easy to take this powder around for touch ups (works nicely as mid-day touch up powder).

If you're thinking about purchasing this powder, look through the reviews to see if your skin and this powder would be compatible.

Hope this helps!

on 11/19/2015 7:49:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is maybe not an HG, but definitely my current go-to and has been for a while. I'm aware of the dangers of HD powder with flash photography, but I blink any time flash is involved, so no matter what I do, the picture is ruined anyway. That being said, I've personally never seen it show up in photos, but I'm also on the paler side of the spectrum. It's definitely less intensely white than Make Up For Ever's HD powder. One complaint would be that the container is very large and therefore difficult to travel with, and the product dispenses too generously. I could do with a lot less coming out all at once. As for usage, I always toss the powder puff that comes with it and use a brush with a very light hand. A little seems to go a long way and I like the way it feels a silky on my skin. I like that it's translucent so it doesn't change the color of my foundation. Though not intended as a setting powder, this works great for setting my foundation and blending my makeup as well as providing light-duty oil control throughout the day.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this about 2 years ago - in my first and last ELF tryout - I had the translucent (no pigment) version. I can't understand how anyone can compare this to MUFE, when you put MUFE loose powder on bare skin, it immediately sets and creates this beautiful area of silk splendor, when you put ELF powder on your bare skin it's very much like flour. They are a mile away from each other.
The container was almost full when I threw it away.
Yes, the price is unbeatable, but I wouldn't pay 1 cent for a product I won't use :)

So, I guess, if you're happy with overall quality of ELF products (which I am most definitely not) this might be a good choice.

on 2/10/2015 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the texture of this powder. It is almost the same as the Makeup Forever HD Definition Powder which I've got. When I tried it on my hand, I fell in love with it.

Alas, it didn't do justice for me. I usually powder my face with a brush after applying BB Cream. And it just gives me that beautiful matte glowy skin. However, using the same technique with this powder doesn't cut it. It just flakes on my skin upon application. Initially, I thought it was because I was using a brush, so I tried using the Puff that came with it. It ended with the same result, flakes on my face.

I am disappointed by the results after reading all the hype about it but I suppose, it's probably just me seeing that everyone else gets great results from it.

on 1/13/2015 2:40:00 PM

A complete dupe for MUFE HD powder. Nice packaging, great product, low price. The powder is completely transparent on your skin and does a great job of mattifying and blurring. It doesn't get any better than this!

I love this product. I have it in white and yellow tone. I have had a travel size of the MUFE HD setting powder and the white color of this is very nearly the same. It does an excellent job of setting the face. The yellow is a dupe for Ben Nye Banana Powder. I use both. I use the yellow under my eye area to set the concealer and brighten the area a little and the white all over the face. Some people complain that this gives them a white cast, and just like any other "translucent" powder, this can be a problem if you use too much, so do use it sparingly. It does give a bit of the "HD" finish to the skin where it helps camouflage pores a bit, but it is a veil and not a pore filler so its not going to make them completely disappear but it does blur them a bit. I have larger pores around my nose and upper cheek area and if I use a pore filler and this it does a pretty decent job of minimizing them.

It sets wonderfully, mattifies the face well for a fair amount of time and mildly blurs imperfections. I can't ask much more from a powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased the translucent powder while I was going to a photo shoot and needed some setting powder. Don't let the color scare you, it goes on almost invisibly but you must blend to make sure there are no thicker spots of powder on your face because a camera flash will pick it up (See: Angelina Jolie's Powder Incident, it happens to the best of us). It is easy to overlook the blending because the powder doesn't look especially white on the skin, especially on fair skin but just be aware of where you're putting it on and make sure to blend it well. The texture of this powder is very silky and smooth. I have some more expensive versions of these HD powders but this one does the trick just as well! The sifter can get messy so just make sure you have it upright when you open the lid and either leave the plastic cover over the sifter or leave the powder puff to cover the holes. Definitely a good buy for the cost!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My makeup bag will never again be complete without this. It's a perfect dupe for MUFE HD, and the price? Wow. I assume the people giving poor reviews are expecting this to do things it was never meant to do, add it does the job it's meant for incredibly well.