e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 8/4/2016 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This was my first loose setting powder, and I was really unimpressed with it. I have prominently yellow skin (I'm Asian) with a greenish, olive undertone and this powder just did not agree with my skin tone. The flash back in photos are absolutely horrible enough, but even under natural day light, I could STILL see the white cast making me look so ghastly greyish and sick. It's a very smooth, mattifying powder, but the initial matte effect doesn't last long. I live in a humid, hot subtropical weather, and this kept my makeup on, but I still produced oil profusely. The jar is really really nice, it's a secure plastic jar, comes with a good sifter and a very quality powder puff; alas, it's too bulky and not something I can just toss in my bag and carry around for touch up. Not to mention, whenever I got under the sun, the dreaded white cast would show up. I also gradually figured out that my skin was more dehydrated than I thought, this powder doesn't absorb oil that well but it just sucked every last bot of moisture off of my skin, I was just not happy with it in any way. I couldn't stand it any more, so I passed it to another, moved on and never looked back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Allow me to spare a few souls from potentially enduring the tragic embarrassment I faced by using this powder:

I've owned this product for nearly a year now, but didn't actually use it until June of this year. I was attending my brother's graduation - a day I knew would be picture after picture and I wanted to put my best face forward. HD powder sounded like the right product for occasion, right? Wrong.

I have a medium/tan skintone. I dusted the powder *lightly* over my face and neck (it's stark white and on tan skin I found that even a little excess made me look almost ashy). In the mirror, I looked great! Okay, maybe slightly lighter than my usual tone, but Indians are always trying to look fairer than they really are, so I can't say I minded.

The graduation ceremony ended and the picture taking began... Flash after flash until I was nearly blind. I left feeling confident that I'd acquired at least one good shot for my new profile picture. I decided to take one last selfie with my bro - with the flash on - and what I saw was horrific.

My face was white in the picture. WHITE. As if I had been wearing some sort of theatrical white face paint. Hands shaking, I took another without the flash, this time. I dared to look...I appeared normal. It wasn't my face, really. It was the flash of the camera on that wretched HD powder!!

I bolted to catch my family, grabbing their phones like a maniac and deleting every white, pasty faced image of myself that I could find. Crazed with fear of my ghostly face showing up on Facebook, I chased after anyone else who may have captured a shot of my brother and I with his friends.

They escaped. My mission continues...

on 12/22/2014 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This powder is amaZing it left my skin nice and matte not dull or cakey you have to be light handed with it though or it will leave a white cast the only thing I hate is the packing it's bulky and you definey have to be careful with it or it gets messy but I love and btw the price was $6 you can't beat

on 6/29/2014 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is incredible! I read a lot of reviews about it online, and I was a bit iffy about it because a lot of reviewers were mentioning the white cast that this powder creates when you use it. But, I saw it at Target and needed some powder so I went for it!

First things first, the packaging is terrible. SO terrible. The powder literally explodes out of it every single time I open it and I lose so much product. There is no careful way to use this powder without getting it everywhere. It would be great if there was a seal on it similar to Bare Minerals to prevent this from happening but what can you do?

I would recommend using a brush to apply this, not a powder puff or sponge. I find that with a brush the white cast from the powder doesn't happen and if it does, you can just buff it away with your brush.

Other than that, this powder is AMAZING. It leaves my skin feeling super silky smooth and my makeup does not budge at ALL. I work at Disney World in Florida, and lately the temperatures have been raging at 95+ degrees and I will sweat, get rained on, whatever, and my skin feels just like it did when I applied my makeup that morning.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Just be careful with how much you're applying because it does cast a white shade to your face.

on 6/24/2014 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

Beautiful as a finishing powder. Leaves my skin looking airbrushed and beautifully natural in texture. It doesn't cling to my dry skin either!! Packaging is awful! The container is large and there's quite a bit of product, but every time I open the lid there's always powder everywhere that just falls everywhere. DO NOT use as a setting powder as this won't hold down your foundation and DO NOT get your photo take whilst wearing this: you'll look as though you set your face with talcum powder and have an awful white cast... As for a finishing powder though great product for a great price.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

With ELF their products seem to be a hit or miss and this is a hit! I have this powder in the white translucent and I really love it! I struggle staying matte all day because of my very oily skin. This keeps me shine free all day with just one dusting! Only use this if you have oily or very oily skin. My mother used it and it caught on dry patches so not for dry skin. It is kinda a large container and a little bulky with a screw off lid. But since it lasts all day you don't need to carry it around so the bulk is no big deal. I don't like the puff it comes with so I use my powder brush and it works great. Causes a little flashback in flash photography so don't use it if you're taking photos. It's very inexpensive, I think it was around $5 at Target. There is no fragrance and it didn't break me out. I use it after my foundation and doesn't work well by itself. There's a good bit of product. I for sure recommend this for people with oily skin!

on 11/6/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Its funny because I used this powder over my liquid foundation and I actually thought that it made my skin look too perfect and fake LOL. So yeah this products works really well :P

Tip: After you set your foundation with your regular powder and apply bronzer and blush. Dust this over everything to give it a blurred flawless look. Its light enough to apply over other products

on 3/29/2013 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Dupe for makeup forever HD powder

on 2/20/2013 10:30:00 PM

When I first bought this, I didn't really have high hopes for it since it was so cheap. Turns out, I really enjoy having it. Made my skin look flawless, smooth, and silky. A little bit goes a long way, and if you use too much, it leaves you looking washed out. I recommend not taking the entire sticker off the holes or else you'll have all the fine powder sitting in the lid.

on 12/22/2012 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely, 110%, LOVE this powder. It definitely reminds me (key word: reminds!) of MUFE's HD powder.
MUFE is 100% mineral silica powder, while ELF's powder has Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer with silica. The purpose for dimethicone and vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer is to help create the "soft, velvety/silky" feel. They're silicones (please note that, in case you are sensitive to dimethicone).
From my personal experience, they both did a great job and the staying power was great for both (about 8 hours for MUFE and about 6.5 hours for ELF. Yes it is less, however, the price for ELF is about 1/5 of the price for the full size container of the MUFE powder-- And a little more than 1/2 of the price compared to the travel size of MUFE).

Now, enough about comparisons. ELF's HD powder comes in a large, black plastic container and contains a powder puff inside. It's rather bulky; however, I do not mind since it holds tons of product in there. The only complaint I have with the container is that controlling how much of the product can be dispensed is rather tricky. I wish it was more like Bare Escentual's lock dispenser; it's a lot easier, less messier, and would help save product since it would cause less spillage/waste.

For my application, I definitely use the powder puff. I used to use a brush, however, I feel the powder puff works a lot better since it is less messier and I can really press the product onto my face. I've been using this product for a while and I have never seen a white cast on my face, especially during flash photography (I can see that if you do go overboard with any loose powder, a white cast can definitely show).

After all that has been said and done, my verdict stands as: it is an amazing product. I have repurchased it already (after using it for roughly 9-10 months and using it any where from 5-7 days of the week), and will continue to repurchase it when my seemingly large bulky plastic container runs out. :)