Essie Not Just a Pretty Face

Essie Not Just a Pretty Face

3.9

I love this nail polish. I'd been looking for the perfect nude pink color for a while, and while I kind of wanted to buy the famous Ballet Slippers, one place had a great deal on this brand but unfortunately didn't have that one in stock. Instead, I found Not Just a Pretty Face and I'm beyond pleased.

The color is gorgeous. However, it is quite sheen, but two layers (and basecoat+topcoat) is enough for me to get a really nice color. It seems streaky when you first apply it, but it quickly smoothens out and get a flawless finish. I like that it is a kind of subdued pink and not as in-your-face as some of the other nail polishes I considered tended to be. I'm happy I found this!

I haven't had any issues with it as some of the other reviewers seem to have had. It hasn't reacted on my skin in any way and I found it easy to apply. The brush is a bit small, and while I would like it to be just a tiny bit wider, it still gets the job done.

This product is amazing and I have no problems at all with it. I love the packaging and the colour is perfect for me. I like the way that you can layer it up to get different shades, I personally only want my nails to look natural with this nail polish shade so I only have to apply one coat and sometimes two for a brighter look. I think it dries very quickly and it didn't react with my skin, and around my nails it is very sensitive. I would reccomend putting a top coat over this so you don't chip it though. Overall this is my favorite nude nail polish and I will be repurchasing.

To Read all 15 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/6/2014 11:33:00 AM

The color and texture of this polish is perfect. Two layers did it for me, and it's definitely not sheer. But it started chipping on the day 2 and then layers were just peeling off. That's ridiculous. Very disappointing.

on 1/2/2014 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have tanned skin with a yellowish/olive undertone and I was pleasantly surprised that this suited me (originally bought for my mom, who's fairer than I). It adds just the right amount of pink to distinguish it from nude nails, and it's great for the office.

Application: I used Fill the Gap by Essie for the basecoat, and Seche Vite for the top coat, and it's been 4 days with no chips. It's semi-sheer. I used three coats, and while that covers up everything else, I can still see this white mark on my nail (see leukonychia).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I wanted a muted colour for spring as all my polishes are bold in colour, and this colour didn't disappoint. It's a muted pink - with slight peachy tones to it. It's quite sheer, so at least two coats are needed to make the colour opaque which is what I want. I do wish the colour wasn't so sheer, but I can get over that because I really do love the colour. Although, as with any polish, you have to be careful not to apply such thick coats in one go, as that makes the consistency thick so the polish won't last as long.

on 1/26/2013 7:09:00 PM

After about three years or more of searching for the "perfect" pink opaque nude, I think I have found it. I wanted a shade that did not make my (tan, NC42) hands look washed out but that was not transparent and complimented the pink tones in my nail beds. This is like Essie's Mademoiselle - opaque. On MY hands it's a very soft mauve mixed with a touch of beige.

I'm not well versed in nail polishes, but I did look this one up and learned that it's from Essie's Summer Collection 2009, so I am beyond late to the party, lol. That said there is a benefit to waiting to purchase - reduced pricing! I paid under $4.00 for this on Amazon, which is less than 50% of the full retail price of $8.00!

I removed one point because although it's a sheer, it can be built up to become opaque on the nails. It's just the fact that it took 4 coats to get there! I can still see a bit of white tip through all 4 coats. Not happy about that although it does add strength to the nails.

So all in all I love it. It give my nails the look of being clean, healthy, is perfect for interviews, chips will not be that noticeable and it lays down in coats that are just a tiny bit streaky imo. The streaks go away with additional coats of polish. The very small amount of mauve mixed with pink is perfect for my tan hands. This one is a staple for sure.

on 6/18/2012 4:37:00 PM

This is just the neutral pink I was looking for!!! It's very sheer, but 2-3 coats is noticeable. The formula is more on the thick jelly side. The color is a soft, fleshy pink + buff tan. I wanted something understated and still pretty, and this is it. At least for me with my light-medium coloring.

on 2/18/2012 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Holy cuticle flood Batman! Its a very sweet colour and the formula is typical essie (streaky at first but evens out after 2-3 coats) but I found this colour to be very prone to cuticle flooding. I'm not a newbie when it comes to nail polish application and own dozens of essie colours, but none are as prone to cuticle flooding as this one.

That being said, it's a lovely semi-sheer colour. It's almost like a jelly. Its a very professional, classic colour.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was a bit disappointed with the formula. It's just like Essie's Luscious Lips polish, sheer. I think Essie intended this to be worn that way but I prefer a opaque finish. Took three coats to get a full coverage and dries to a milky peach pink colour. It's quite flattering on my skin-tone at the moment since I've gotten paler over the Winter.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I love this nail varnish! It's a light/medium slightly dusty pink, with no sparkle or shimmer, and in Essie's trademark high-shine jelly-ish finish. It looks great against my skin tone - my face is about NC40 neutral but my hands are about NC37-40 and have a slightly green tone to them. Many true pink and coral varnishes bring out the greenness, but this colour doesn't, as it has the slightly dusty/grey tone to it. It's pretty and understated but still makes an impact. However, the formula is not the best, and that's why I haven't given this a 5. It's a bit thick and streaky, and you need a steady hand to apply it. Two coats still shows the unevenness, so you need a mininum of three. It's not the streakiest Essie varnish around though, so don't worry. I'd definitely recommend this varnish if you have a similar skin tone to mine.

EDIT: Oh noooo I added some nail varnish remover (Sally Hansen) to it to thin it out, and over the course of a couple of days the colour turned into a pale lilac/putty colour! It's ruined! Time I bought some Seche Restore or Zoya Renew.

Popular Polishes