Essie Midnight Cami

4.1

I was disappointed by Midnight Cami. It looks so different on the nail. I was looking for a dark, shimmery blue/purple with lots of dimension. Instead, Midnight Cami looks basically like a regular black under regular lighting.

It's a nice colour, applies well in two coats and holds up just fine... it's just not what I wanted. Also, it stains like a mofo.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is a beautiful blue-black. But when you wear it it looks different from how it looks in the bottle. In the bottle it looks navy and shines a clear blue when it catches the light. I bought it thinking it would look similar when worn on my nails. But when you wear it, it's just a deep, blueish black. There's no multidimensional colour thing going on.

The creamy formula goes on nicely but floods skin and cuticles; I spent ages cleaning around the side of my nails with a Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover and it didn't really work. In the end I just had to pick off the extra bits of nail polish from my cuticles while standing in the shower, which I don't think is very good for your skin.

Stains when removed from nails but it's alright if you use it with a base coat. Doesn't chip for a couple of days at least, no dreaded sheet marks in the morning (I use 2 coats, with OPI Start to Finish base coat and Seche Vite top coat). I have short nails and use my hands a lot, but this nail polish has held up well.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this polish and hate it at the same time. I love navy blues and this color is super pretty. The shimmer that runs through it makes it even prettier, but the formula just isn't the best. I find that I need to use 2 medium thick coats for it to apply nicely and it stains my nails like crazy! When I take this polish off, my fingers look like smurfs lol. Luckily I found online that scrubbing with a nail brush and whitening toothpaste takes the stain off and it works! Overall it's a pretty polish.

I love essie and I wanted the blue balck polish so i wound the perfect colour is applys easy but it does stein even if you use base coat I am in love with this colour it only takes one coat for ful cover, removel is easy but after revoval I had toe use dark to hide the rest. but this colour I would definitely buy again it did not chip that fast just after 3 weeks I noticed that it started to chip I will recommend it to anybody looking for a blue black polish.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said. This is a very beautiful blue. As for the staining, I feel like many others here who don't really mind it because the polish is so nice. Just have a buffer block on hand to help you out if you encounter staining on your nails.

Midnight cami is my go to colour! Looks great with my fair skin and amazing with my fake tans! I found a similar colour in shellac and wanted a normal polish of my own. Essie was not available where I lived until recently and I'm so glad! Dries quickly, no streaks and great shine! Only issue, as said by others, colour stains and runs to cuticles. I love the colour too much to care though! Will be repurchasing this colour and others in the future

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this nailpolish is a PITA, because it stains your nails after removal, and if you don't take good care of your cuticles before putting it on, it stains your cuticles and is awful to work with

However

It's worth it to prep your nails beforehand, and carefully put midnight cami on, because it is GORGEOUS!

this is the blue version of my all time fave np, OPI's lincoln park after dark. It is similar in the fact that it's a very vampy, almost black from far away, shade. I first discovered this in a nail salon. I got a mani and another customer remarked how classy/pretty the shade was.

Midnight cami has a fine microshimmer that is really only visible in sunlight.

Perfect dark dark blue vampy nailpolish. This is definitely one of Essie's must haves.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have a love/hate relationship with this color. The deep midnight blue black with subtle shimmer is so beautiful. But the formula...! It's a pain. Which makes me not reach for it.

It's thin and floods my cuticles and skin if I'm not careful. I really have to put in the effort to maneuver the product on my nails. On the other hand, it is a one-coater (though I always use two coats).

It's also quite a stainer compared to other dark blues that I have. That doesn't bother me that much but thought I'd mention it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got this on recommendation because I wanted a deep blue with "hidden" shimmer, that is, the polish is dark but in certain lighting, shows a deep, lit-from-within flash of colour. And this polish definitely fits the bill on that count. A test of this polish on some white cardboard and some comparison to other dark blue polishes shows me that this one is definitely what I'd call "midnight blue" as opposed to navy or indigo (blurple).

I can get away with one coat of this, pretty much, because it's got great coverage and depth of colour. I definitely would not wear this without a base coat, however; heavily pigmented, dark polishes like this tend to stain, and while I haven't had problems with that, I wouldn't want to try it to find out.

No problems with removal, happily (sometimes dark polishes can be a pain to remove, but this was entirely fine).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is probably my favorite deep blue polish next to Chanel Blue Satin. It's a rich inky blue that has a subtle shimmer. While this is about as dark as it gets for a navy blue, it still manages to stop just short of looking black. The shimmer is very soft which I prefer to a full on frost. The formula on this one is outstanding. It applies like butter and gives full coverage after two thin coats. Definitely one worthy of having for vamp lovers!

Popular Polishes