Garnier White Chocolate 111

Filtered by skin type : Normal
No Image

4.6

Best super light drugstore blonde! Before using this, I dyed my hair with garnier's extra light natural blonde and the results were golden and a bit orange. I decided to use this on my roots because the instructions said you could use 100 and 111 interchangeably. My dark blonde roots turned a whiteish pearly blonde, while the rest of my hair was a light golden blonde. These two boxes of hair color are not the same!! Now I have lighter roots than my ends of my hair, but I would still recommend this product because it is the only box blonde that could lighten my mousy hair with no orange at all

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Garner White Chocolate was a complete lifesaver! A little background so you know what my hair was before this color: my hair is naturally golden blonde, but I've been coloring it since I was 19. As I've aged (I'm 33), it's gotten real mousey (from what I can see at my roots). I have been every color under the rainbow at some point in my life, but previous to this color, I was using L'Oreal Preference Paris Couture 8GB Golden illuminous Blonde, which was very natural and very close to my natural darker gold blonde color. I wanted to go lighter for spring, so I first purchased, if I can remember, a L'Oreal Preference Ultra Lift dye. It barely did anything at all, so I purchased a Feria ultra lift dye and got my hair to a very pale yellow blonde. After that (with some waiting in between), I used Colorsilk 05 Ash blonde after reading good reviews, hoping that would get rid of the golden tones. Not so much. My ends were ok, but my head was still a golden yellow. I thought it was ok, but kept looking in the mirror at work thinking, Oh dear, even I know this doesn't go with my skin tone!! I couldn't make it work.

I waited a few days, but seeing as I have a photoshoot for the city newspaper in a few days, as a Stylemaker in the fashion section, I really needed a good fix, or wear a big hat! I had purchased Garner White Chocolate in the past and remember it turning my hair very lavender, but at the time I already had white hair. I did a test strip this morning, and it was looking good, so I just went for it and put it all over my head, focusing mainly on the golden parts. I put a bunch of conditioner on my ends so they didn't pick up too much color, as they were already ashy enough for me. I left it on for about 40 minutes, longer than it says to, but I really wanted to make sure it was NOT yellow. Rinsed my hair out, conditioned (conditioner was great), and when I stepped out of the shower, expecting neon roots still, my hair was a perfect buttery pale baby blonde. I really cannot express how happy I am with this color. It not only made my hair way softer than it previously was (especially after two lightenings and another dye in one week - ack!) but the color is very even and fits my skin tone WAY better than that terrible yellow. Very happy.

TL/DR: If you have a yellow-tinged (not orange, but a pale golden) bleached blonde hair, this might be really good for toning it down to an even ashy pale baby blonde. My color didn't turn out as light as it does on the box (which is good anyway, because I did not want it to be intense white blonde!) My ends are a little more silver than the rest of my hair, but it looks way better than having flaming pale yellow at the top of my head! Hair looks great, and is silkier than ever, after all my hair went through this week! Also, my hair doesn't smell like I just dyed it, like it did with the Colorsilk and Feria. Ugh. It just smells fresh!

on 6/11/2014 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Ok you guys. I have used makeupalley for years but signed up today because I used this hairdye last night and I felt like I had to obligation to let the world know! This is the best drugstore hairdye I have ever used to neutralize brassiness. I have been dying my hair since highschool and have been blonde for much of that time. I have used John Freida 9n the last few years but since they changed their formula I just wasn't getting as light as I'd like. It still looked natural and was it pretty and golden (not brassy) but it was a pretty dark blonde and several shades darker than my roots.
So, after much worrying and reading of reviews (like hours) I got white chocolate. I got two boxes in fear that it would be brassy and I'd have to tone with the second box. My roots are soft brown (that mousy brown that little girls who used to be blondey-blonde get as they get older) and I have had major trouble with brassiness with almost every single kind of box hair dye I've ever tried. Except John Freida, it just didn't lighten as much I wanted.
Last night I left on 111 for forty five minutes and just lightly pulled it through the rest of my long already-blonde hair. I got pale cool blonde! I couldn't believe it. No brassines, in fact, it's a little silvery. But, if you know blonde hair dye--having your hair lean silvery instead of orange is a miracle! Yes, my longer strands might be a teeny bit too ashy, but nothing a week or so won't work out all by itself. I just can't believe I didn't have to use a toner. I keep looking in the mirror to make sure I'm not being too optimistic and tricking myself. It really is a pretty soft light blonde. I can't believe it.
So if you're like me and afraid of trying a new drugstore box dye and you have lighter than medium brown hair, this will work! I watched it in the mirror and I could see after 45 minutes that it wasn't going to go lighter.
There are some bad reviews here but I sense that those people might not have had a lot of experience with DIY hairdye, so if you've been at it for awhile, fear not!

on 4/26/2013 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

My hair is naturally dark blonde and I constantly keep it in some state of dyed/highlighted light blonde. It pulls orange VERY easily so I am constantly fighting that (Shimmer Lights purple conditioner is my savior). This hair color was surprisingly great: good price, fine packaging (nothing special but easy to use), and was probably the best single-process home hair color I've ever used in terms of not turning orange. I followed the directions exactly (10 minutes on mid to ends before applying to roots and waiting another 20 minutes) and only got the slightest brassiness at the roots. The rest of the hair was beautifully cool and beige-blonde. I used my Shimmer Lights conditioner on the roots to tone down that bit of brassiness, and it looks great! My hair felt soft and well-conditioned afterwards. Will absolutely repurchase!

on 2/12/2012 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

OMG, OMG, OMG! I am 50 and I've been "blonding" my hair at home for 30 years, with a few 911 visits to salons, when I've totally BLEEPED up my hair! I am naturally dark ash blonde, but when I bleach or go to a lighter color, I am a red-yellow-copper-gold roots magnet! I've had foil$; pull-through$; hair-painting! Cha-ching! I've tried every a$h blonde over the counter. The best in show, thus far, has been L'Oreal Feria 110 Starlet. But even with that, I touched up my too-warm roots with Redken Shades EQ Chrome. I even went to Aveda 'beauty college' where top-notch future stylists pass or fail in coloring/bleaching. FAIL! Yellow-copper roots. You know--that cheap look that screams, "I lightened my hair myself!". Fast forward to today. I bought Garnier 111, due to my MakeupAlley lifeline. I am so thrilled! This is the first time EVER, that I didn't have to tone and tweak my color job because it was orange! Monumental!! I am astounded! I folllowed the 10 minute length+20 minute roots=30 total minutes instructions. Lathered, rinsed, conditioner packet, and VIOLA no orange! **TRUE, as others have stated, if your hair is already lightened, your color may appear ashier, greyer, and darker than the box model shows.** My pre-lightened lengths/ends DID, so I shampooed 2 more times with Johnson's baby 'poo and conditioned for 5 minutes with Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy Vanilla Bean Deep Conditioner. Now, perfection, without extra coloring and toning! Again, a first for me! After so many years of trial and error, I've found my HG blonde. I keep going to the mirror to be sure I'm not imagining this long sought after result! Nope--AWESOME! Plus, my baby fine, thin hair did not appear any worse for the wear after coloring with Garnier 111. Brassy blondes are gonna LOVE this!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I first rinsed this color out of my bleached brassy blonde, I HATED it. I'd had the bleached blonde for a few months then decided to go more platinum with a dye instead of a bleach. (Too many evil chemical burns) So when I rinsed it out after 25(?) minutes it was LAVENDER. So I washed several more times. I was left with this PERFECT white/blonde. Unfortunately, the white only stays about a week unless you use a purple shampoo every night, but you're still left with a VERY pretty light blonde.
I will definitely continue using this product!

I've been using this shade off and on for years and always find myself coming back to it because it's the ONLY hair dye that doesn't give me brassy roots. I've tried drug store brands, stuff from Sally's, high end dyes, etc. but White Chocolate by Garnier always seems to do the trick.

I have naturally medium blonde hair that I lighten to platinum, but I don't need to use bleach so I mostly use drug store brands because they're cheap and convenient.

My only problem is the root area stays yellow-y no matter what unless I use this stuff. You have to be EXTREMELY careful with this because it will turn any pre-lightened hair grey in a few minutes, but it turns my roots a beautiful platinum color with no brassiness.

on 11/3/2009 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

about a month ago I went back to blonde from the red tint that I wore during the summer. When I first did the red, I used Garnier and it came out beautifully but then faded and kept fading. Typical of most reds though as red is the most difficult color to maintain.

I grew tired of the maintenance and decided to go back to blonde. I have used the Garnier #100 for years and was happy with the outcome. Every four months I had highlights and low lights put in and it was truly a lovely color. This time when I went back to blonde I went a bit darker and ashier in order to cover the red... and decided to use the Preference line which has great ash colors... anyway, to make this whole history short, I wanted to go way lighter and ashier in order to continue the coverage of my past red history lol.

I chose the White Chocolate 111, which is a very light ash blonde and followed instructions -- no mixing with any other colors. I left it on for 30 minutes as I truly lost track of time and when I took it off, I found a fantastic light ashy blonde with some golden highlites which make it a truly lovely and believable color.

My husband loves it and this sets my life and history back as a blonde!

I will continue using this shade!