Garnier White Chocolate 111

No Image

4.1

Garnier Nutrisse 111 High lift Ash blonde (White Chocolate)
Very useful product but should be used WISELY :)
From personal experience you should be aware of the following:
-Color on the box appear waay more lighter than actual results, even if you compare it with the shade guide...so Never pick up colors by looking at the box. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.
For example 111 Means Level 11 Base color and 1 For Primary Blue tone which Produces grey(ash) tone when you have brassy orange hair
-if your hair is already prellightened to gold or yellow stage use this product as a TONER and preferably on WET TOWEL DRIED HAIR (this helps minimizing the concentration of the dye to avoid exagerated bluish or gray tone.
-leave the product for 15 to 30 min MAX until brassiness is removed
-20 volume peroxide works for about 30 min... after that there's no oxidation and only deposition ...therefore people who leave dye on more than 30 min will end up in darker hair NOT LIGHTER HAIR ....I REPEAT DARKER HAIR IF LEFT MORE THAN 30 MIN
-Place dye on the brassiest parts first... if you place it on hair which is already a nice blond it will exagerate blue and gray tones.
I Hope this was useful
Best wishes for beautiful hair

on 2/12/2012 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

OMG, OMG, OMG! I am 50 and I've been "blonding" my hair at home for 30 years, with a few 911 visits to salons, when I've totally BLEEPED up my hair! I am naturally dark ash blonde, but when I bleach or go to a lighter color, I am a red-yellow-copper-gold roots magnet! I've had foil$; pull-through$; hair-painting! Cha-ching! I've tried every a$h blonde over the counter. The best in show, thus far, has been L'Oreal Feria 110 Starlet. But even with that, I touched up my too-warm roots with Redken Shades EQ Chrome. I even went to Aveda 'beauty college' where top-notch future stylists pass or fail in coloring/bleaching. FAIL! Yellow-copper roots. You know--that cheap look that screams, "I lightened my hair myself!". Fast forward to today. I bought Garnier 111, due to my MakeupAlley lifeline. I am so thrilled! This is the first time EVER, that I didn't have to tone and tweak my color job because it was orange! Monumental!! I am astounded! I folllowed the 10 minute length+20 minute roots=30 total minutes instructions. Lathered, rinsed, conditioner packet, and VIOLA no orange! **TRUE, as others have stated, if your hair is already lightened, your color may appear ashier, greyer, and darker than the box model shows.** My pre-lightened lengths/ends DID, so I shampooed 2 more times with Johnson's baby 'poo and conditioned for 5 minutes with Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy Vanilla Bean Deep Conditioner. Now, perfection, without extra coloring and toning! Again, a first for me! After so many years of trial and error, I've found my HG blonde. I keep going to the mirror to be sure I'm not imagining this long sought after result! Nope--AWESOME! Plus, my baby fine, thin hair did not appear any worse for the wear after coloring with Garnier 111. Brassy blondes are gonna LOVE this!

on 1/9/2011 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product NEVER fails me!!!! I usually alternate between 100 Extra light blonde (camomile) and always great results!!

I went to a hair salon....(my stories always start like that lol), and of course my "blonde" highlights turned orange :(. I am used to this by now, so instead of having them fix it, I buy a bottle of White Chocolate or the Camomile depending on how brassy my hair is. I dye it the day after and voila! Shimmery pale blonde with NO orange just beautiful ashy tones.

A warning though!!!! If you have really light blonde or bleached pieces this can turn your hair BLUE!! So just be careful and if you do, don't leave it on too long. I usally only dye for about 20 mins if I have really brassy hair even with extra light pieces.

Anyways, great product, great color and just super GREAT!! I will forever use this hair dye!!!! I just have to say how funny it is that a drugstore product can really fix a professional and expensive salon color....hmmmm....LOL. LOVE GARNIER!!!!

on 3/25/2012 10:03:00 AM

I have used them all....from ds products to Sally's and nothing beats Garnier for price and overall outcome. Even my hairdresser said to me that this one is the best color she has seen on me. NO brassiness whatsoever!! I have to say that this comes with 30 v. developer not 20v. like the reviewer below me. It says it right on the bottle. I am a natural level 6 dark ash blond and I use my own 40v. developer to achieve the results I'm looking for. I color just my roots every 4 weeks and the color stays pretty true. Tends to fade a bit after 2 weeks, but I just use some purple shampoo to bring it back to life. My hair has never been so healthy and ashy!! Love this color :) Highly recommend if you pull red tones or brassiness with other lines!!

on 11/3/2009 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

about a month ago I went back to blonde from the red tint that I wore during the summer. When I first did the red, I used Garnier and it came out beautifully but then faded and kept fading. Typical of most reds though as red is the most difficult color to maintain.

I grew tired of the maintenance and decided to go back to blonde. I have used the Garnier #100 for years and was happy with the outcome. Every four months I had highlights and low lights put in and it was truly a lovely color. This time when I went back to blonde I went a bit darker and ashier in order to cover the red... and decided to use the Preference line which has great ash colors... anyway, to make this whole history short, I wanted to go way lighter and ashier in order to continue the coverage of my past red history lol.

I chose the White Chocolate 111, which is a very light ash blonde and followed instructions -- no mixing with any other colors. I left it on for 30 minutes as I truly lost track of time and when I took it off, I found a fantastic light ashy blonde with some golden highlites which make it a truly lovely and believable color.

My husband loves it and this sets my life and history back as a blonde!

I will continue using this shade!

on 6/11/2014 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Ok you guys. I have used makeupalley for years but signed up today because I used this hairdye last night and I felt like I had to obligation to let the world know! This is the best drugstore hairdye I have ever used to neutralize brassiness. I have been dying my hair since highschool and have been blonde for much of that time. I have used John Freida 9n the last few years but since they changed their formula I just wasn't getting as light as I'd like. It still looked natural and was it pretty and golden (not brassy) but it was a pretty dark blonde and several shades darker than my roots.
So, after much worrying and reading of reviews (like hours) I got white chocolate. I got two boxes in fear that it would be brassy and I'd have to tone with the second box. My roots are soft brown (that mousy brown that little girls who used to be blondey-blonde get as they get older) and I have had major trouble with brassiness with almost every single kind of box hair dye I've ever tried. Except John Freida, it just didn't lighten as much I wanted.
Last night I left on 111 for forty five minutes and just lightly pulled it through the rest of my long already-blonde hair. I got pale cool blonde! I couldn't believe it. No brassines, in fact, it's a little silvery. But, if you know blonde hair dye--having your hair lean silvery instead of orange is a miracle! Yes, my longer strands might be a teeny bit too ashy, but nothing a week or so won't work out all by itself. I just can't believe I didn't have to use a toner. I keep looking in the mirror to make sure I'm not being too optimistic and tricking myself. It really is a pretty soft light blonde. I can't believe it.
So if you're like me and afraid of trying a new drugstore box dye and you have lighter than medium brown hair, this will work! I watched it in the mirror and I could see after 45 minutes that it wasn't going to go lighter.
There are some bad reviews here but I sense that those people might not have had a lot of experience with DIY hairdye, so if you've been at it for awhile, fear not!

on 4/8/2012 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a strong toner-dye that turns red/orange/yellow into a naturally looking metallic/gray/ash dark blond, provided your hair has enough red in it. If your hair lacks red or yellow due to previous bleaching, it may end up too greenish or bluish, respectively. Before application, I used Color Oops to remove the previous hair dyes which revealed an orange-yellow hair - typical result from previous dyeing. The White Chocolate doesn't have the bleaching power to achieve the white blond on the box. Judging by the sensation on my scalp, it didn't bleach more than 2-3 tones up but no later than 5 mins after application it deposited an ashy color which had me concerned because I thought it was turning my hair darker instead of bleaching it. I waited 30 minites and the final color was a metalic ashy/gray dark blond close to what I consider a natural blond without the yellow/gold or red hues produced by most dyes at the department stores. My hair ended with a hint of green hue in it because the formulation of White Chocolate assumes you start with a virgin hair with enough red tones in it, which it neutralizes with green. If your hair doesn't have enough red, the green could be a little too much but nothing drastic like Halloween :) I expect the toner dye to fade from shampooing in the following weeks and then I will see to what color my hair was bleached. The bottom line is that White Chocolate is a strong toner for brassiness but not the bleach of your dreams that can take you from brown to white blond hair in 30 mins. I took one point off for the misrepresentation on the box.

on 4/20/2013 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to write this review in hopes of maybe helping someone else.

I have been getting expensive highlights for years. My hair is mostly blonde (from highlighting) but I have dark roots. My hair is naturally a med. to light brown.

so here is the important part. This dye comes with a 30 vol developer. This means it will only lift or lighten your hair 3 levels. Google a hair level chart and find what level you are. Count three shades down and this is what a 30 volume will do. my level is probably a 4 medium brown. So a 30 volume will only lighten me to a 7 medium blond. btw: I am not a hair professional. I just did some research after my hair turned a yucky color of gold using this hair dye. What I didn't understand was I probably needed a 40 vol and possibly should have checked Sally's beauty first. Box dyes are very misleading!

be careful and good luck!!

Love this shade! I used it as a toner after lifting my already, dyed blonde hair with Revlon Colorsilk in shade 05, which has great lifting power but left my hair yellow after two weeks. I left on for 30 minutes, and though my hair turned a light,blue brown while processing, the color came out a beautiful, pale non- brassy blonde when blown out. Like Colorsilk though, the formula is thin and there is not alot in a single bottle. I have fine, barely shoulder length hair and I would reccomend two boxes for anyone with longer or thicker hair. Smell is quite stronger than that of Colosilk but the grapeseed oil packet does help to cut it down. This was by far, the least damaging box color that I have ever used! My hair was soft and incredibly shiny for, lasting up to a week afterwards. Very impressed! My hair has started to turn yellow, especially around my porous ends after two weeks, but I am going to start investing in purple shampoos and conditioners. Note: I used this on hair that was already lifted to a level ten. So while my result was lighter than that on the box, unless your hair is already that light, you should expect your color to be darker based on your current level. I would not use this dye to lift" any color, since I did not notice any lift on my roots. It did blend and tone my hair beautifully, and it looked to be a pale, 10.5,11 for about week before fading back to a yellow 10. If would suggest using the Colorsilk to lift your hair and then, depending on the condition of your hair, use this shade to tone, anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks afterwards. All in all, I will repurchase when in a pinch to tone or add pop to my hair. Edit: as several other reviewers have mentioned, I did notice a very slight, green undertone to my hair as it faded, around the two week mark. It was very faint and only around my porous, and mostly visible under artificial light, not natural. I had used several "ash" dyes and toners before trying out this shade so if you have been depositing mostly ash on your hair, I would suggest stripping with a bleach cap beforehand or trying out another dye.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Garner White Chocolate was a complete lifesaver! A little background so you know what my hair was before this color: my hair is naturally golden blonde, but I've been coloring it since I was 19. As I've aged (I'm 33), it's gotten real mousey (from what I can see at my roots). I have been every color under the rainbow at some point in my life, but previous to this color, I was using L'Oreal Preference Paris Couture 8GB Golden illuminous Blonde, which was very natural and very close to my natural darker gold blonde color. I wanted to go lighter for spring, so I first purchased, if I can remember, a L'Oreal Preference Ultra Lift dye. It barely did anything at all, so I purchased a Feria ultra lift dye and got my hair to a very pale yellow blonde. After that (with some waiting in between), I used Colorsilk 05 Ash blonde after reading good reviews, hoping that would get rid of the golden tones. Not so much. My ends were ok, but my head was still a golden yellow. I thought it was ok, but kept looking in the mirror at work thinking, Oh dear, even I know this doesn't go with my skin tone!! I couldn't make it work.

I waited a few days, but seeing as I have a photoshoot for the city newspaper in a few days, as a Stylemaker in the fashion section, I really needed a good fix, or wear a big hat! I had purchased Garner White Chocolate in the past and remember it turning my hair very lavender, but at the time I already had white hair. I did a test strip this morning, and it was looking good, so I just went for it and put it all over my head, focusing mainly on the golden parts. I put a bunch of conditioner on my ends so they didn't pick up too much color, as they were already ashy enough for me. I left it on for about 40 minutes, longer than it says to, but I really wanted to make sure it was NOT yellow. Rinsed my hair out, conditioned (conditioner was great), and when I stepped out of the shower, expecting neon roots still, my hair was a perfect buttery pale baby blonde. I really cannot express how happy I am with this color. It not only made my hair way softer than it previously was (especially after two lightenings and another dye in one week - ack!) but the color is very even and fits my skin tone WAY better than that terrible yellow. Very happy.

TL/DR: If you have a yellow-tinged (not orange, but a pale golden) bleached blonde hair, this might be really good for toning it down to an even ashy pale baby blonde. My color didn't turn out as light as it does on the box (which is good anyway, because I did not want it to be intense white blonde!) My ends are a little more silver than the rest of my hair, but it looks way better than having flaming pale yellow at the top of my head! Hair looks great, and is silkier than ever, after all my hair went through this week! Also, my hair doesn't smell like I just dyed it, like it did with the Colorsilk and Feria. Ugh. It just smells fresh!