NYX Professional Makeup Eyeshadow Base in White

3.5

*Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, *Mineral Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, *Silica (and) Methicone, BHT, Dipentaerythrityl Hexahydroxystearate/Hexastearate/HexarosinateRicinus Communic (Castor) Seed Oil, *Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Polyethylene, Fragrance, Butylparaben, Nylon-66, Ceresin,*Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyethylene, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to love this product for a couple reasons: I use eyeshadow base every time I use eye shadow, so it's a commonly used product for me and I loved the price point on it.

From the outside it appeared to be exactly like a MAC Paint Pot - I have used MAC almost exclusively for years - but it definitely is not. I purchased this on the promise from the NYX SA that she's used both products and she doesn't see any kind of a difference. Well, there's a HUGE difference. HUGE. For one, this does make eye shadow pop but it also kind of gives it a funny colour. I mean I know the MAC Paint Pot isn't white, and this is, so it's likely to give a different finish but I did not like it in any way. I used this for the first time to go have dinner on a girls night out. I was out for maybe 4 hours, maybe, and by the time I got home my eye shadow was creased and flaking off in some spots. Also, it's harder to blend out than using a paint pot - which I didn't like either. While I was putting on my eye shadow I noticed that some of the gooey-ness of this product actually transferred back onto my eye shadow brushes. I didn't really have very much on my eye lid but it definitely transferred and left my eye shadow brushes feeling tacky.

I was trying to branch out and use different products since purchasing MAC can add up, but this is an example of how cheaper definitely does not mean the same quality product. I am very disappointed. And while it was only $9 CAD (I think?) it was a waste of money and I will definitely not be repurchasing.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this to use with some new palettes from Bad Habit that have lots of shimmery, gorgeous brights. I use a primer with it and add it to make my lid colors pop. I wouldn't use it alone. Is it as good my smash box? Nope, but it's a1/4 of the price.

I picked this up at the drug store on sale for $5 the other day, I imagine they're discontinuing this. I am reading the comments below and I can see why people would find the texture tacky and not amenable to blending. I found that, because the product looked so white after application, I wanted to use a nude coloured Sephora powder primer that I happened to have over top of it. I found that helped even things out and blending is actually a dream. This isn't an all-in-one product but it still does a good job at setting up an even base that will make your shadow colours pop a little more.

I made the mistake of thinking this product is a primer, which it is not! I have very fair skin and assumed the white would blend in and look natural, which it does not; I think this product would work for you if you are more adventurous, do stage makeup, or use bright colours that you want to really pop. However, if you are a beginner or are looking for something to do subtle or everyday makeup with, I don't think this is for you.

Pros
Makes eye shadow colours pop, probably would work great for packing shadow on

Cons
Feels really cakey and sticky, makes eyeshadow crease quickly, difficult to blend

This is not as good as the more reputable and expensive primers/bases out there. IT is much cheaper though. I experimented with this stuff and concluded that it doesn't make my shadow stay any longer than usual but it makes the color POP and creates an even base (I have oily lids). So my shadow is better with this applied first but there are better products to choose from. I would repurchase but try another more natural shade for my fair skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This product is a base, not a primer but makes eye makeup longevity SUCK. My eyeshadow slides off and even my gel, liquid and pencil eyeliners melt off so easily whenever I use this base. It does make colors more vibrant for a couple hours, but the fact that it melts two hours later makes the benefits completely moot. I've tried using less product, which helped, but it still melted inevitably. My makeup applies and lasts much better without this base... maybe I just haven't learned how to use it correctly. I have not had a single good eye makeup day with it though.

I don't hate this. Really, it does its job, the eyeshadows pop! But when you apply it to your ENTIRE lid, it is sticky as hell and the eyeshadow doesn't blend very well. after a few hours, it starts to crease leaving white lines.. it's not the worst, really, maybe you should apply it just in certain areas.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I like this for a base under my eyeshadows that need a strong base to really pop. Doesn't smear around too much, but not a product I reach for very often. The stick applicator is convenient for application. Great for those more adventurous with makeup!

This stuff is fantastic because it gives me a white slate to apply my eye shadows on, and makes them look really good.

Now I don't think this is supposed to be used as a primer, but as a shadow base. So I apply MAC's soft ochre on my lids and then this over it, and then my eye shadow (usually Urban Decay). Very thin layers mind you, so its not cakey at all. My eye shadow looks great, doesn't crease and lasts the entire day.

I do like the consistency of the white paste, I guess that's personal preference but it feels good to me. Also I like the price, its dirt cheap and there's a lot of product and you don't need to use much. So this pot will last me forever.

Also it doesn't irritated my uber sensitive eyes, so that's another tick.

I've used NARs, Too Faced, Urban Decay primers in the past and get the same result using this. I'm going to save myself the $40+ for those and use this very affordable and excellent quality shadow base instead.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's definitely not a terrible product and for its price I think it's doing a good job. However, I wouldn't buy it again because I want to use products that I love and not that I just 'like'.