4.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

15 years ago

I have short cut that hair layers and lots of texture, so naturally I needed a texturizer that could also help with my majorly frizzy hair. My hairstylist used this on me after haircut, and I liked it so much I bought it. It's a non greasy waxy paste that has lots of texture into my hair and de-frizz it. It doesn't weigh hair down and adds some shine. Blow dried or not, I always use this product on my hair everyday. Since I only use tiny bit, one jar should last me really long time. I love this product so much. It's perfection. It makes my hair look and feel great, it's not greasy or heavy like Sebastian molding mud, AND it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin or eczema.

About reviewer (111 reviews)

SkinOther

HairRed

15 years ago

I love this product. My stylist uses it everytime I get a hair cut. You just need to know how much of this product to use. I usually put some on my palms and rub my hands together so it's evenly spread and style my hair. Only thing is that it costs $30CAD a tub.

About reviewer (54 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrunette

15 years ago

Another winner for me from Aveda! <P> This gives me perfectly tousled and piecey hair. Like othrs said, if you use too much then you will end up with a big greasy mess. I use a La Mer spatula to scrape some from the top and rub it between my fingertips, then rake it through my hair in an upward direction. This way I get the product on the roots, not just the top layer. <P> My only gripe about this, or any Aveda product is the scent. I actually love the fragrance but it fights tooth and nail with any perfume you are wearing. I think I might just give in and have a scent blended by Aveda. :)

About reviewer (57 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

15 years ago

I mostly use Defining Whip, especially for work as it gives my hair a softer apppearance. But when I want to funk it out, spike it up, I use control paste. The great thing about this besides its hold, is that its totally reworkable. So if you hair gets wet or messed up, you are able to restlye your hair without going through too much work.

About reviewer (659 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

2.0

15 years ago

So far this is the best matt paste I've known, which is still not good for me. It cannot tame my Asian coarse straight hair fully (maybe 70%) and I can't do those crazy hair styles I see on the Aveda website. I have short, tend to be spiky hair mind you. But so far, it does have the nice matte look to it. I find that gel gives a better hold though I don't want the wet look. Might buy again if I can't find anything better.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

15 years ago

I love Aveda's hair products, and this is no exception. My stylist used this in my hair at a photo shoot and I fell in love. I just take a little bit of this in my hands and it helps my hair get piecey. Too much, though, and my hair sticks together, gets clumpy, and looks horrible. The trick is in finding the right amount. Smells wonderful too!

About reviewer (488 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

15 years ago

For several months I was hooked on Aveda's defining whip, however I thought I would give the control paste a try since I had been lemming it forever. I thought perhaps the waxy texture would be too much, but it is perfect! Unlike the defining whip my hair isn't left with an oily residue feeling nor is my hair a greasy matted mess in the morning. And it HOLDS my hair. WHOO-HOO! I give this product two very enthusiastic thumbs up :o)

About reviewer (50 reviews)

SkinDry

HairBlond

3.0

15 years ago

This is decent. It smells good, but I wouldn't say it's an overall fantastic product. It's waxy and definitely tames flyaways and helps style hair, but I definitely think you could find the same thing for cheaper.

About reviewer (155 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Warm

HairBlond, Other, Fine

3.0

15 years ago

i have short thick layered hair and i used this to pull and separate my layers, i have to say however that it doesnt work as well as it should for 20 bucks. i find that it doesnt hold and really i cant get a good piecy messy look to begin with... i do love the smell though, i have a hard time finding pastes that work, so i might just go back to my kms EDITED 9/23/05. ok this is my HG. it does its job and doesnt make my hair sticky... i still love it and my jar is going strong, ive had it for what seems like forever and i porb have a 1/4 to 1/3 left!!! great stuff

About reviewer (71 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Other, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

EyesGreen

from

15 years ago

This is a staple in my hair diet. I like to use it for that "funky chunky" look. Too much weighs down my hair so I have to be careful.

About reviewer (129 reviews)

SkinCombination