Ziana

Ziana

clindamycin phosphate 1.2% and tretinoin 0.025%

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Let me start by saying this: I am using the Canadian version called Biacna. EXACT same ingredients though, just different name and by the manufacturer called Valeant

I've started using it since Dec 19, 2016 and I can't make much comment but I will say that so far it hasn't broken me out. But it's because I've used a lighter % of tretinoin and my skin can tolerate it. I wake up with smoother skin and skin that feels thicker, as if there's more collagen and my skin looks healthier

My advice for you is to find a lower % of tretinoin if possible, and then work your way up to 0.025%. In Canada, we have a tretinoin called stieva-a and it has a formulation of 0.01% (note: its a cream)

To use properly, wash your face and then wait 30 minutes. Put a lotion or something before it, so it wont bother your skin that much. Leaving Ziana on plain skin is too drying and may sting

I will update in a few months. Perhaps May 2017 :) Check once in a while

on 10/16/2016 10:40:00 PM

I'm a 24 y/o woman with cystic acne who has been using Ziana regularly for over a year and a half. Overall, I'm a big fan of this product and would recommend it to someone looking for a strong topical.

Pros:
-Without question, Ziana has vastly improved the overall look and feel of my skin. I don't have perfect skin by any means, and never will, but using this product has definitely helped calm my skin down and make it look fresh, smooth, and healthy.
-I don't get many zits now, but when I do they always go down way quicker than before using this product.
-Look, there is no magic product that will completely erase acne scarring forever. However, I truly believe that consistently using tretinoin will help heal the scars you already have, and prevent new ones from forming. I have moderate scarring on my cheeks and I give Ziana credit for making them as invisible as possible.
-I'm lucky to have good insurance, so I pay around $40 for a tube. Since you don't have to use much, a tube can easily last me 6 months. So it's affordable for me.

Cons:
-I find Ziana to be extremely drying, even after using it for over a year. I've had to adapt my skin care routine to include products for dry skin. The dryness for me is mostly concentrated around my mouth and chin. I use cetaphil cream and aquaphor regularly now.
-It makes my skin way more sensitive to other things, such as AHA, BHA, and products with strong fragrances.
-I think that this product can be quite expensive depending on your insurance.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Almost three months on this product and my skin has done a complete turnaround! I don't have anymore bumps that are "under my skin" that are more dominant when I wear foundation. I do have about two whiteheads and a nodule on my face, but overall my skin is smooth and my skin tone is evening out. Will update to see if it gets better or worse after the three month mark.

on 5/21/2016 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I understand that this gel doesn't work for everyone, but this is my liquid gold; maybe my #1 all-time favorite product, and certainly a HG product for me.

I've dealt with sensitive skin and mild pervasive acne since I was a teenager. I use birth control and Ziana to keep my acne in check--birth control for cystic acne and Ziana for the rest. With that combination, my skin has been clear and smooth for 6+ years now.

I apply a pea-sized drop of Ziana every other night. Ziana can cause dryness, flaking, and sensitivity, but my moisturizing routing completely compensates for any dryness, and I'm careful to apply sunscreen diligently every day. With those checks in place, I've experienced no issues with my Ziana. Applying more frequently or more of an amount, I think I probably would have problems.

As a bonus, Ziana also helps reduce fine lines--although to be honest, with my dry skin, I still have issues with those and am continuing the search for another product dedicated to reducing signs of aging.

Also note -- the liquid is supposed to be bleaching, but I've never had issues with it discoloring my pajamas, pillowcases, or other fabrics.

This is my liquid gold. I hope it works for you too!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Very strange stuff. This is only a partial review, as I will come back and update once my skin changes. I know you have to stick with this stuff for awhile for it to work and to see the benefits. Anyways, the first week I used this it made my skin very oily. I usually have pretty dry skin so I found that strange. It was pretty annoying, actually. I constantly felt gross and like me face was an oil slick. A couple days after that dryness set in. The crazy oiliness went away and my skin started to look very blotchy (old acne scarring turned red/brown). I think this product is bringing up all of my old acne scarring, and it's starting to peel off. Sounds gross, I know, but it isn't cute lol. It makes it difficult to wear any face makeup at all (I don't normally wear much face makeup anyways). But I feel the need to cover these blotchy parts of my face because it definitely doesn't look good. My skin in the past couple days has gone from dry to very flaky with lots of dead skin coming off. My skin doesn't like scrubs or anything abrasive to mechanically exfoliate (my skin is very sensitive), so I'm finding it hard to deal with all this flakiness. Anyways, I do think the scarring is getting better, slowly but surely. I'll also note that the first week I used this, my skin did a little bit of a purge (breakout). Nothing crazy, but I did get a couple of deep cystic spots. They're clearing up now, and my skin is crazy dry and feeling even more sensitive than usual. I will update in a couple days! Oh, and this stuff is a very thin, watery consistency. It doesn't seem to have much of a smell, and it's very sticky (I hate hate hate the stickiness of it!). I only use it before bed as well, under or over moisturizer, doesn't really matter.

UPDATE:

Things stuff took a turn for the worst. I couldn't handle it anymore, I used it for a couple weeks but it made my skin look so awful I stopped using it. My skin then got much better. I gave it another try recently for another couple of weeks, but again it made my skin look horrible. It makes my skin blotchy and red, which I thought was temporary, but it never leaves. The last straw for me was that this stuff makes me breakout like no other. I thought it was just an initial purge, but my skin continued to breakout. My old scarring could never clear up because this stuff was causing constant cystic acne, resulting in even more scarring. Needless to say, this stuff made my skin an absolute mess. Flaky, dry, patchy, blotchy, uneven, with cystic acne and very clogged pores. I do not recommend Ziana/Biacna at all. Too bad as this stuff has such great reviews and I thought it would be the answer... just not for me unfortunately.

This stuff has been a savior for my skin! I use a gel form called Biacna. I started out with breakouts pretty much everywhere on my face. I have combination skin. I am very pale, with fairly sensitive skin.

I will start off by saying, it did not immediately fix my skin. First, I started by using once every other day. I did have some noticeable flaking for about 3 weeks, but that is starting to subside. I use Complex 15 to help with the dryness. I eventually (by 4-5 weeks) worked my way up to twice a day application. I started noticing a difference within 2 weeks. I have maybe two minor blemishes on my face now - typically when I forget an application.

My dermatologist made it VERY clear, it would get worse before better. I did have pretty severe flaking. It was red underneath. My skin was "angry". BUT it did get better. Within 3 weeks, the flaking began to subside. Like I said, I uses a super gentle moisturizer - Complex 15.

This stuff has an added bonus of preventing those fine lines when used long-term. My two biggest cons are: initial flaking which was pretty bad, and the sticky feeling it leaves after application. The price is a bit steep ($80/tube that lasts about 6-8 weeks), but it does work and for that I am very happy.

I use it on my chest as well for acne, as my dermatologist suggested. It can basically be used anywhere you have acne. I should also add, I wear an SPF 30 with it because it can cause sensitivity to the sun, making a sunburn more likely. It does NOT cause bleaching to clothing or fabrics. There is nothing in the product that causes bleaching, and my derm said it doesn't either.

on 9/7/2015 3:41:00 PM

I have both acne and fine lines. I look way younger than my age and that's probably a combination of really oily skin (STILL, at my age!) and Asian genetics, but I don't look like I'm in my 20s anymore, if you know what I mean. I have very sensitive skin as well as being acne-prone. I used this faithfully for about 8-10 months and finally gave up because it NEVER cleared up my skin, and actually just constantly triggered breakouts. It did help with fine lines and definitely helped get rid of dead skin cells, but I always, always, always had breakouts, and more than I normally have. My skin was definitely more sensitive to other treatments which has its pros and cons, but I had to be really careful in the winter about excessive flaking and sensitivity. I'm going to say that there might be an element of user error here because I don't think I ever waited 20 minutes after washing my face to apply this, and so perhaps breakouts are just my sensitive skin's reaction to something that is too harsh. I might try this again later with the "waiting 20 minutes" technique, but only after trying another Tretinoin product first. I'm not sure what to try because Retin-A contains Isopropryl Myristate which is a major pore clogger; I'll have to find a gel form or something that doesn't contain that ingredient.

on 7/16/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I developed late onset acne around 24. I developed sever acne on my back and at first only the rare pimple on my face and tiny, hard, skin-colored bumps above my brow. I thought they were a reaction to a brow wax, but they just multiplied and would not go away. I went to my first derm. and she said it was keratin buildup. She gave me this stuff and said it works like an "topical exfoliant". After a few days, they disappeared. She prescribed Salvax for my back and let me tell you, after a few applications that stuff works wonders!! love it.

Anyway...

Now a year later I am getting tiny painful zits on my hairline, around my jaw, above my brows, and the occasional breakout on my upper back. The ones on my face are rarely large enough to pop, but they just sit there for days on end painful and bright red. So I went to a different derm. (for other reasons) and she prescribed this stuff again. (I refilled it not realizing it was the same medicine.- I was slightly annoyed). I applied pea sized amounts every other day and used my sensitive skin moisturizer like she prescribed. After 3 uses my cheeks started to peel and turned red. I thought I was developing rosacea or psoriasis! I discontinued use and my skin just got worse and worse. After a week the patches went away, but I am nervous to use again. I still have my breakouts- especially around my hairline, but having bright red cheeks with dry patches is much worse. I can't decide if it's worth it..

I was hoping the retinol would be an added benefit. The derm. said it would help deminish my fine lines and reduce pore, but I don't think it would be strong enough for that...

A year ago this worked amazing. My face cleared up and my pores shrunk significantly. After my face cleared up I figured I could stop using it and for a few months my skin was great. I thought all my problems were solved then it began...the worst breakouts of my life. Never before had I gotten breakouts on my cheeks or chest until then. So I went back to the dermatologist and he prescribed this again. While it did clear my skin a little I still experience more breakouts than before my previous use of this product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am 23 years old and never experienced acne in my lifetime until I started to wear face makeup then I broke out all over my cheek in small skin colored bumps (clogged pores) and I developed what I would consider mild acne. I went to the derm and was prescribed minocyclin antibiotic pill along with ziana. Minocyclin did not seem to make a difference but after using ziana for a few weeks I noticed a drastic change in my skin. My skin's texture got incredibly smooth and soft and it got rid of all of those skin colored bumps. I do get the occasional pimple every now and then but I swear by this gel! I apply it before moisturizer at night about a pea size and smooth it all over my face.