Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter
Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Maybe there's little point in reviewing Pewter, because what can I say that others haven't?
WOW. I am so glad that I bought into the hype. In the month that I've owned it, Pewter has shot straight up to the top of my list of favorite shadows.
I almost wish I had bought a back-up, and I am *not* a back-up person.

The color is the most special part of Pewter. Other attributes, like texture, lasting time, wear, packaging - are all good, but the color is what makes tracking down this eyeshadow worth it.
At first glance, I would call Pewter a silver, or for a two-word description "dirty silver". I have no idea where all the talk of bronze comes from ... though there may be bronze tones in there somewhere, it's just not bronze-colored. So silver, but warmed from its coolness into neutral territory - it's warm and it's cool. It's silver, but there's gold in there, too. There's a tiny touch of brown (or bronze?), and a good measure of a muted, light sage green.

The result? It looks great on its own, but more importantly, it goes with EVERYTHING. I have yet to try a combo that doesn't work, and it's not for lack of dedication.
Pewter looks great along with neutrals, adding a sheen, and bringing everything together - browns, beige, whatever, it does a great job of just adding another dimension to a neutral look.
It's great with other metallic colors. Silver and bronze are no-brainers, but has anyone worn it with gold? My New Year's Eve makeup (which I loved) was Pewter matched with a bold gold liner (Urban Decay's Eldorado) along the top lashes, tight-lined with black.
Pewter is gorgeous with colors. I've been having fun trying it with all of my Urban Decay liners, and it looks great! Obviously it's great blended with other shadows, too. One liner that's breathtakingly gorgeous with Pewter is Bobbi Brown's Gel Eyeliner in Forest Shimmer Ink, a dark olive green with gold shimmer, along the lines of Urban Decay's Stash liner, Sue Devitt's Bangalore Eye Intensifier, or MAC's Vintage Gold pigment.

on 12/27/2009 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is such a beautiful color. Quietly dramatic is the best way to describe it - and the blend of colors will work with any complexion. I would not wear this into the office but it's lovely for a special event. However, on me it made my very slightly dry eyelids (only happens in cold weather) look very crepy. This is not something I usually ever notice and I think it's due to the higher level of shimmer in this particular shadow. I can't wear this, but I wish I could. Maybe with a primer this would work for an evening look once in a while. I hate to say I would not repurchase this, as it seems unfair to the product, but I'd have to fuss with this to make it work (and I never have to fuss with Bobbi Brown shadows - they are the best).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Chrome shadow in Pewter is perhaps one of the best products Bobbi Brown has come out with so far. Pewter is a lovely taupe color with hints of gold, silver, and a sage green. It is unlike any shadow I have ever seen before. I thought it might be similar to BB's Sage metallic shadow which I already have, but they are very, very different. Sage is far more green and cool, while Pewter is warmer and not overtly green. The green in Pewter is subtle. One of the best things about Pewter is its texture and finish. The texture is soft and smooth. It applies evenly with excellent pigmentation. It blends beautifully. Fallout is never a problem.

Pewter looks wonderful paired with my hazel green eyes, super fair skin, and dark hair. I can wear it all alone for a simple day look or pair with some dark liner for a more dramatic look. Pewter is a versatile shade that is neutral but far from boring. At $22, Pewter is more expensive than BB's other powder shadow offerings. You get special packaging, a beautiful color, and an unparalled texture to make this a worthwhile investment however. Pewter is LE, so I strongly suggest that those interested in buying it do so quickly.

on 12/6/2009 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is the only Bobbi Brown product I have ever bought and I am very, very pleased with it. I bought this because of the swatches and the hype about this color and I was not disappointed, even for the price.

Having never bought Bobbi Brown before, I liked the way the shadow pops right out and could go into a custom palette. I currently do not palettize anything, but it's nice to know that it's an easy option in the future. So while this cost $22, which I think is an awful lot for an eyeshadow, the packaging is as convenient as could be and the pan size is huge - you definitely get a lot of eyeshadow.

Regarding Pewter specifically -- this color immediately reminded me of MAC's Smoke and Diamonds, both in terms of being a really complex sort of taupe, and because of all of the attention it's getting. Looking at the two shades together, Pewter is lighter, more complex, and more festive. I have been enjoying wearing Pewter with Smoke and Diamonds in the crease, and lined with Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Stash. It's "like neutral but better" for the holidays.

on 10/22/2009 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Pewter Chrome eyeshadow is part of the BB Holiday Collection launched in October '09. The chrome finish is new, so far there are three shades available as limited edition items: Pewter, Silver and Gold. The shade Pewter has also been released in late summer '09 as part of a Nordstrom Exclusive Set (see my separate review on Pewter Metallic). Since I was instantly in love with Pewter Metallic I was excited to try a shade by the same name in a different finish.
Color and Finish: A silvery taupe with metallic sheen (I have added a photo above). The metallic sheen is really beautiful and definitely noticeable. I still found this finish subtle enough for daytime when I paired with a neutral eyeliner (I used BB Mahogany Ink) and a matte medium shade in the crease (I used Flint, a matte greyisch taupe). So don't expect the Chrome finish to be like foiled eye shadow or a molten metal look on your lids. The consistency is wonderful, soft and blendable and stays on well without noticeable fallout. For evening, I have dressed up Pewter with BB Rock Shimmerwash and Gunmetal Shimmerwash in the crease/outer corner and Caviar Ink gel eyeliner. I like that the color is somewhat neutral but at the same time it has enough interesting nuances that can be nicely enhanced with different complementing shades. Adding grey will make it cooler, adding gold and bronze will warm it up, both without clashing with the Pewter.
Packaging: Sleek compact with transparent flip top lid, fits in the BB customizable palettes. The Chrome series shadow pan has a silvery frame whereas the classic BB pans are all black.
Comparing Pewter Chrome and Pewter Metallic: Although very similar, the two shades are not identical. The Pewter Metallic is a tad browner than Pewter Chrome which is more silvery and has very little brown. Please see my profile photos for a comparison with swatches. Consistency of the two is similar, Pewter Metallic is definitely one of the best BB Metallic shades as it is soft and it blends well (I found some Metallics a bit gritty), and Chrome has the same great consistency.
Overall: Very beautiful shade which should be a permanent part of the line, just for the color alone. It could be made into a Shimmerwash for instance in case BB wanted to keep the Chrome finish as limited edition. Pewter is quite unique colorwise and BB currently has no similar shades. I really like this and will gladly repurchase.
Price: $22.