Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

4.9

on 10/22/2009 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Pewter Chrome eyeshadow is part of the BB Holiday Collection launched in October '09. The chrome finish is new, so far there are three shades available as limited edition items: Pewter, Silver and Gold. The shade Pewter has also been released in late summer '09 as part of a Nordstrom Exclusive Set (see my separate review on Pewter Metallic). Since I was instantly in love with Pewter Metallic I was excited to try a shade by the same name in a different finish.
Color and Finish: A silvery taupe with metallic sheen (I have added a photo above). The metallic sheen is really beautiful and definitely noticeable. I still found this finish subtle enough for daytime when I paired with a neutral eyeliner (I used BB Mahogany Ink) and a matte medium shade in the crease (I used Flint, a matte greyisch taupe). So don't expect the Chrome finish to be like foiled eye shadow or a molten metal look on your lids. The consistency is wonderful, soft and blendable and stays on well without noticeable fallout. For evening, I have dressed up Pewter with BB Rock Shimmerwash and Gunmetal Shimmerwash in the crease/outer corner and Caviar Ink gel eyeliner. I like that the color is somewhat neutral but at the same time it has enough interesting nuances that can be nicely enhanced with different complementing shades. Adding grey will make it cooler, adding gold and bronze will warm it up, both without clashing with the Pewter.
Packaging: Sleek compact with transparent flip top lid, fits in the BB customizable palettes. The Chrome series shadow pan has a silvery frame whereas the classic BB pans are all black.
Comparing Pewter Chrome and Pewter Metallic: Although very similar, the two shades are not identical. The Pewter Metallic is a tad browner than Pewter Chrome which is more silvery and has very little brown. Please see my profile photos for a comparison with swatches. Consistency of the two is similar, Pewter Metallic is definitely one of the best BB Metallic shades as it is soft and it blends well (I found some Metallics a bit gritty), and Chrome has the same great consistency.
Overall: Very beautiful shade which should be a permanent part of the line, just for the color alone. It could be made into a Shimmerwash for instance in case BB wanted to keep the Chrome finish as limited edition. Pewter is quite unique colorwise and BB currently has no similar shades. I really like this and will gladly repurchase.
Price: $22.

on 11/13/2009 8:39:00 PM

Nice semi metallic finish when lightly applied but buildable to an obvious metallic finish. Colour is hard to describe but closest I can describe is a light silvery taupe.

For comparison purposes BB Chrome Pewter (right) is lighter and a slightly different tone than MAC Smoke & Diamonds (left).

JONZ continued >>

on 12/6/2009 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is the only Bobbi Brown product I have ever bought and I am very, very pleased with it. I bought this because of the swatches and the hype about this color and I was not disappointed, even for the price.

Having never bought Bobbi Brown before, I liked the way the shadow pops right out and could go into a custom palette. I currently do not palettize anything, but it's nice to know that it's an easy option in the future. So while this cost $22, which I think is an awful lot for an eyeshadow, the packaging is as convenient as could be and the pan size is huge - you definitely get a lot of eyeshadow.

Regarding Pewter specifically -- this color immediately reminded me of MAC's Smoke and Diamonds, both in terms of being a really complex sort of taupe, and because of all of the attention it's getting. Looking at the two shades together, Pewter is lighter, more complex, and more festive. I have been enjoying wearing Pewter with Smoke and Diamonds in the crease, and lined with Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Stash. It's "like neutral but better" for the holidays.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Maybe there's little point in reviewing Pewter, because what can I say that others haven't?
WOW. I am so glad that I bought into the hype. In the month that I've owned it, Pewter has shot straight up to the top of my list of favorite shadows.
I almost wish I had bought a back-up, and I am *not* a back-up person.

The color is the most special part of Pewter. Other attributes, like texture, lasting time, wear, packaging - are all good, but the color is what makes tracking down this eyeshadow worth it.
At first glance, I would call Pewter a silver, or for a two-word description "dirty silver". I have no idea where all the talk of bronze comes from ... though there may be bronze tones in there somewhere, it's just not bronze-colored. So silver, but warmed from its coolness into neutral territory - it's warm and it's cool. It's silver, but there's gold in there, too. There's a tiny touch of brown (or bronze?), and a good measure of a muted, light sage green.

The result? It looks great on its own, but more importantly, it goes with EVERYTHING. I have yet to try a combo that doesn't work, and it's not for lack of dedication.
Pewter looks great along with neutrals, adding a sheen, and bringing everything together - browns, beige, whatever, it does a great job of just adding another dimension to a neutral look.
It's great with other metallic colors. Silver and bronze are no-brainers, but has anyone worn it with gold? My New Year's Eve makeup (which I loved) was Pewter matched with a bold gold liner (Urban Decay's Eldorado) along the top lashes, tight-lined with black.
Pewter is gorgeous with colors. I've been having fun trying it with all of my Urban Decay liners, and it looks great! Obviously it's great blended with other shadows, too. One liner that's breathtakingly gorgeous with Pewter is Bobbi Brown's Gel Eyeliner in Forest Shimmer Ink, a dark olive green with gold shimmer, along the lines of Urban Decay's Stash liner, Sue Devitt's Bangalore Eye Intensifier, or MAC's Vintage Gold pigment.

on 12/14/2009 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This "chrome" eyeshadow is called "pewter," which is really a misnomer. There is a lot of cool gold, taupe, and on my skin, a luminous sage/olive green undertone. I was quite stunned when I saw the shadow in person. It's equivalent to the range and complexity of shades and hues in the BB metallic longwear cream shadow in Goldstone but in a silky powder form.

I tried it first just in the crease but that limiting approach looked just plain boring. I have a rather large area from the crease to the brow bone so I swiped one brushstroke over each area. Gorgeous! And I'm talking daytime wear. I applied BB Black Plum shimmerwash to the lids, UD 24/7 liner in bourbon to top and bottom lashlines, blended some of the MUFE Aqua Eyes in Shimmering Plum (4L), smudged, blended some more, added mascara. What a classy, elegant, modern look for a gal of my age. I have to hand it to Bobbi Brown for coming up with ways to update one's look without having to overhaul it. She is the best for chic neutrals, even better than Dior, and cheaper.

I know that some gals complain about the price of her e/s but they last forever. I've hit pan once in Navajo in the Stonewashed Nudes palette purchased not quite 2 years ago. The quality of this shadow is superb; just a small amount gives maximum effect, and the finish is a combination of a subtle luminance with a soft-focus color on the lids. It is very different from her shimmerwashes. I can see myself using this eyeshadow year round; it's versatile, practical, and complements my blue eyes well. The eye color doesn't pop; it just becomes a bit more intense.

I put that I'd re-purchase because it is a winner but I doubt I'll run out of this product and since it's LE, we'll have to see how Bobbi deals with the success of this chrome line.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The most perfect metallic colour ever!!!! Pewter is not a cool icy silver nor a warm yellow gold..... it sits right in the middle as is the most versatile neutral metallic eyeshadow that works with any look.

Layer over a shadow primer, it covers as a velvety metallic and is not sparkly or shimmery at all. Great colour payoff too! I have used it over all my lid and then I blend it with a crease/outer V in brown, blues, or green so far and it looks gorgeous. Totally wearable to the office too since it isn't sparkly. It's the most perfect colour to compliment a snugly grey sweater.

on 10/22/2009 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yessssss!!! Bobbi Brown finally put out another new eyeshadow that I actually LOVE! There are 3 new Chrome Eyeshadows, all LE, so you'd better hunt them down now before they are gone! (I have experienced this with BB LE items... once they are gone, they are almost impossible to find, unless you want to pay an arm & a leg on ebay.) Anyway, about this new eyeshadow... calling it "chrome" is a bit of an exaggeration. This eyeshadow formula is what all the BB metallic eyeshadows *should* be, but are not. I would describe this as having more of a metallic finish, maybe even like a shimmery satin- but not quite a frost. Also, no HORRID GLITTER to speak of! (YAY!!!)
The color is unique to my collection. The BB website describes it as a "cool bronze metallic," but on (and in) my eyes... I see it as a silvered taupe. Simply stunning! This would look GORGEOUS on pale-blue-eyed lasses for sure! I have hazel eyes (muted green/brown), and this one is a winner for me. I wore this on the lid with MAC Coquette in the crease- but I am sure you can wear almost any darker color in the crease and have this eyeshadow work its magic for you. It really is THAT pretty! Also, don't be scared by the word "chrome" in the description. This will NOT look like molten, shiny, metal on your lids... which makes it perfect for daytime wear, too. This is one color that BB should consider making permanent, because I just find it so unique and pretty. I swore off buying backups, but if I make a dent in this and ever see it in a CCO... I would DEFINITELY buy another!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Chrome shadow in Pewter is perhaps one of the best products Bobbi Brown has come out with so far. Pewter is a lovely taupe color with hints of gold, silver, and a sage green. It is unlike any shadow I have ever seen before. I thought it might be similar to BB's Sage metallic shadow which I already have, but they are very, very different. Sage is far more green and cool, while Pewter is warmer and not overtly green. The green in Pewter is subtle. One of the best things about Pewter is its texture and finish. The texture is soft and smooth. It applies evenly with excellent pigmentation. It blends beautifully. Fallout is never a problem.

Pewter looks wonderful paired with my hazel green eyes, super fair skin, and dark hair. I can wear it all alone for a simple day look or pair with some dark liner for a more dramatic look. Pewter is a versatile shade that is neutral but far from boring. At $22, Pewter is more expensive than BB's other powder shadow offerings. You get special packaging, a beautiful color, and an unparalled texture to make this a worthwhile investment however. Pewter is LE, so I strongly suggest that those interested in buying it do so quickly.

on 12/27/2009 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is such a beautiful color. Quietly dramatic is the best way to describe it - and the blend of colors will work with any complexion. I would not wear this into the office but it's lovely for a special event. However, on me it made my very slightly dry eyelids (only happens in cold weather) look very crepy. This is not something I usually ever notice and I think it's due to the higher level of shimmer in this particular shadow. I can't wear this, but I wish I could. Maybe with a primer this would work for an evening look once in a while. I hate to say I would not repurchase this, as it seems unfair to the product, but I'd have to fuss with this to make it work (and I never have to fuss with Bobbi Brown shadows - they are the best).

on 12/15/2009 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Fab color! I find silver is a very difficult shade for me to wear, but because this isn't a true silver shade (obviously - it's pewter!) it looks AMAZING on my caramel complexion. I just bought this yesterday and so I have only worn it once, but I know I am going to get tons of use out of it. You can wear it with just black liner and mascara, or use it additionally with just about any other shade(s). The wear on it wasn't perfect, I found after 5 hours it had faded, but I think if you either a) use UDPP or b) applied it wet it would be perfect. BTW applying it wet makes it very metallic so better for evening, but so gorgeous! It's $26CDN but it is such a huge shadow so I think it was a fair value. And the packaging is hot :) If I ever needed to buy it again, I would!