Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter
Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

4.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Maybe there's little point in reviewing Pewter, because what can I say that others haven't?
WOW. I am so glad that I bought into the hype. In the month that I've owned it, Pewter has shot straight up to the top of my list of favorite shadows.
I almost wish I had bought a back-up, and I am *not* a back-up person.

The color is the most special part of Pewter. Other attributes, like texture, lasting time, wear, packaging - are all good, but the color is what makes tracking down this eyeshadow worth it.
At first glance, I would call Pewter a silver, or for a two-word description "dirty silver". I have no idea where all the talk of bronze comes from ... though there may be bronze tones in there somewhere, it's just not bronze-colored. So silver, but warmed from its coolness into neutral territory - it's warm and it's cool. It's silver, but there's gold in there, too. There's a tiny touch of brown (or bronze?), and a good measure of a muted, light sage green.

The result? It looks great on its own, but more importantly, it goes with EVERYTHING. I have yet to try a combo that doesn't work, and it's not for lack of dedication.
Pewter looks great along with neutrals, adding a sheen, and bringing everything together - browns, beige, whatever, it does a great job of just adding another dimension to a neutral look.
It's great with other metallic colors. Silver and bronze are no-brainers, but has anyone worn it with gold? My New Year's Eve makeup (which I loved) was Pewter matched with a bold gold liner (Urban Decay's Eldorado) along the top lashes, tight-lined with black.
Pewter is gorgeous with colors. I've been having fun trying it with all of my Urban Decay liners, and it looks great! Obviously it's great blended with other shadows, too. One liner that's breathtakingly gorgeous with Pewter is Bobbi Brown's Gel Eyeliner in Forest Shimmer Ink, a dark olive green with gold shimmer, along the lines of Urban Decay's Stash liner, Sue Devitt's Bangalore Eye Intensifier, or MAC's Vintage Gold pigment.

on 12/15/2009 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Fab color! I find silver is a very difficult shade for me to wear, but because this isn't a true silver shade (obviously - it's pewter!) it looks AMAZING on my caramel complexion. I just bought this yesterday and so I have only worn it once, but I know I am going to get tons of use out of it. You can wear it with just black liner and mascara, or use it additionally with just about any other shade(s). The wear on it wasn't perfect, I found after 5 hours it had faded, but I think if you either a) use UDPP or b) applied it wet it would be perfect. BTW applying it wet makes it very metallic so better for evening, but so gorgeous! It's $26CDN but it is such a huge shadow so I think it was a fair value. And the packaging is hot :) If I ever needed to buy it again, I would!

on 12/6/2009 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is the only Bobbi Brown product I have ever bought and I am very, very pleased with it. I bought this because of the swatches and the hype about this color and I was not disappointed, even for the price.

Having never bought Bobbi Brown before, I liked the way the shadow pops right out and could go into a custom palette. I currently do not palettize anything, but it's nice to know that it's an easy option in the future. So while this cost $22, which I think is an awful lot for an eyeshadow, the packaging is as convenient as could be and the pan size is huge - you definitely get a lot of eyeshadow.

Regarding Pewter specifically -- this color immediately reminded me of MAC's Smoke and Diamonds, both in terms of being a really complex sort of taupe, and because of all of the attention it's getting. Looking at the two shades together, Pewter is lighter, more complex, and more festive. I have been enjoying wearing Pewter with Smoke and Diamonds in the crease, and lined with Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Stash. It's "like neutral but better" for the holidays.

on 11/23/2009 11:15:00 PM

I adore this eyeshadow! It makes you look like a million dollars. It adds the perfect amount of shimmer without looking frosty gross. It works for everyday and can easily be jazzed up for night. With the holidays approaching this is a must have!! HG for me for sure! Please do not make this limited edition Bobbi!