Orly Nail Rescue

4.4

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

The background:
Last week, I got a shellac manicure and had gone in with a broken thumb nail (horizontal tear 1/3 down from the tip). The salon wanted to use glue, but I knew glue wouldn't be enough. Because I insisted, the salon repaired my nail with a teeny tiny sliver of silk wrap and charged me 3$! Given how small the silk wrap had been, I knew the repair job wouldn't last. Less than a week later, my nail had cracked in the same place, but worse.

I did some research on Pinterest and decided to buy silk wraps, which seemed like an easy DIY. I missed getting to my local beauty supply store before it closed. So, I headed to Shoppers Drug Mart and picked up the only repair kit they sold - the Orly Nail Rescue kit. The kit comes with a bottle of brush-on glue, a jar of acrylic powder and a buffer tool. I decided to get it, since I remembered reading reviews on MUA. I wasn't too keen on using acrylic at home but I was desperate!

The review:
Based on what I learned reading other reviews on MUA, I decided not to follow the kit's instructions. I brushed some glue onto the crack (clean, dry nail) and pushed the crack down into place with a nail tool. I sprinkled a little acrylic powder over the just-glued area, and had a paper towel underneath to catch spills. After tapping my finger to dislodge any excess powder, I waited about 5 minutes for my nail to dry. It felt dry to the touch, so I sanded down the area with the buffer tool that came in the kit. The buffer worked just fine and it took a few minutes to buff the area smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my nail looked great and felt very stable. To be safe, I added one more layer of support. So far so good, it's been three days since I repaired my nail and no signs of the crack. I was also happy that neither the glue nor the powder have a strong odor.

The conclusion:
Overall, this product was easy to use (even with my left hand) and I was very happy with the end result. So long as you lay something out to catch powder spills and you carefully apply the glue to avoid your skin, you'll be fine! The one downside (minus one lipstick) is the product's price. I read other reviewers who got this kit for half of what I paid. I paid 15$ at Shoppers (Toronto, ON, Canada). Next time, when I repurchase this product, I will shop around for a better price!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this product in an effort to save my nail from essentially falling off after a bad injury to my right big toe. That was a little over a year ago. I had not one but two breaks in the nail - one at the middle of the nail which went almost half way across (horizontally) and also at the base where the nail had buckled and later split as it grew out (sorry if this is gross but I figured it was relevant to the product review). I thought I might lose the nail but I really didn't want that to happen, so I bought this as a last resort. This product does work. It comes with a very strong nail glue, silica dust to seal the break and a file for smoothing out the area afterward. I used it for almost a year - the amount of time it took to completely grow out the nail - and was able to save it from ripping off. The only downsides are that the silica dust is a bit messy to apply - it gets everywhere when you open the container, and also I usually had to repair the break every 2 weeks or so. I did not paint over the breaks because they were well below the quick, the most I did was use base coat over the repair toward the end which also seemed to help it adhere to the nail. I'm just very pleased that I was able to grow out the nail without losing it, because that would have been painful. Highly recommend this product.

To Read all 23 Reviews, Login or Join

I always cut myself with the potato peeler; it never fails. This time I missed my skin and it cut my middle finger nail on the side. It cut it about as far back as it could so there is no way I can cut it plus it keeps catching onto everything. I tried mending it with a teabag like I normally do but it wasn't holding for me this time; it kept splitting. So I tried my had at this and I can't believe how strong it is and how smooth the application was! Definitely a life saver!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

An HG for sure! My index finger has a semi-permanent vertical split down to the quick and even past it as the nail bed is damaged all the way to the cuticle. There's plenty of great ideas here already on how to use, but l will say that if you have a repetitive split l've had great success leaving this stuff on for a month whilst oiling with solar oil. My nail splits much less now. I even leave it on whilst using nail clippers. If you're careful you can partially trim it down and the rest will hold true.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is great. Really easy to apply with help to the instructions (there really isn't a learning curve). Paint your damaged nail with the glue, stick it in the pot & sand it down when dry.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Saved my nails. I have nails that are prone to splitting, horizontally, right where the white of the nail starts. I used to use nail glue and a section of tea bag, but the glue I had just wasn't great and the patch was always visible. It also didn't last long. This stuff is easy to use, and lasts! It's difficult to fix a split that starts on the side of the nail, but this stuff does an awesome job once you can get the hang of it. The "hard" part is getting a thin coat of the glue to go only where you want to patch, so avoiding your skin. Then buff it smooth and apply nail polish. I use gel polish over it and it seems to use a bit more base coat, but my nails are completely smooth after applying the top coat. It saved two nails just this week (I type a lot). I highly recommend this to ANYONE as it is possible to accidentally break a nail, so as long as it's still holding on, you can fix it with this stuff :)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is one of my few holy grails. I have a nail that has been vertically split half-way to the cuticle for years, and nothing would repair it. I tried nail hardeners and paper patches. Nail hardeners only work for me if they are on the nail - in other words, my naked nails aren't stronger after wearing the nail hardeners. The nail hardeners simply provide a protective cover, and any cheap nail polish does that.

The Nail Rescue is pretty easy to use. I don't worry about the appearance because I'm so grateful that it provides protection. I've apply it twice to the area and have kept it on for several months as the crack grows out and is replaced by healthy nail. I put opaque polish over it so the product is not very visible.

The only caution I'll offer is that it's easy to spill the powder, which will fly everywhere. And it takes effort to remove the product. I'm very careful in order not to split the nail again.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

There is definitely a learning curve and it does not look flawless when finished, BUT it is the best thing I have found for broken nails, and it's a million times better than nothing, so totally worth it!

i had nail break well into the quick. i used the kit to repair, and it's been holding for almost 2 weeks. it's not seamless. it really does need a good bit of work with a nail buffer, and polish - but that's fine for me. i'm very happy to have this on hand. i assume i'll need to replace this work, but that's ok. i'm hoping this nail will last until it grows out for a few more weeks.

I LOVE this product. It was $6.99 at Sallys and worth every penny! I had a small tear on my thumb nail and I tried to fix it using just nail glue, which held for a couple days before I caught it on something. Then my nail ripped almost 3/4 of the way across! :( I think the instructions tell you to put the glue on your entire nail but I only put it over the tear. I did use the buffing square that comes with it but I had to use my own buffer to smooth it out even more. The only thing I'm curious about is how healthy this is for your natural nail...