Orly Nail Rescue

4.5

I seem to frequently get a horizontal split on the side of my left thumb, always in the same place which makes it hard to grow the length out. Using this as an overlay on the whole nail allows me to maintain the length as the split eventually grows out. I use a different buffing tool than the one that comes in the kit (therefore the three lippies on packaging) but I haven't had any issues with the glue drying out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I use this kit along with the "teabag" method to salvage a broken nail. I will often get a crack in the nail plate on my thumbs very close to the free edge. I find that when I apply a sliver of tea bag alone, the crack only is repaired for a few days. I then purchased this product to apply over a tea bag...works like a dream. Repair will last a good 2 weeks.

My technique:
1. drop of nail glue to crack
2. apply the teabag sliver
3. thin brush application of more nail glue
4. Dip into the acrylic powder, gentle tap excess powder off
5. (hardest step) wait for everything to dry. I wait 10 minutes
6. Buff smooth.
7. Wash residual acrylic powder off.

Price is very reasonable. Easy to find at Sally's. Nail glue supplied is tiny, but works well with other nail glues and even Krazy Glue (ran out of my usual nail glue)

I always have this available in my manicure box for quick nail repair.
Removal is easy, acetone base nail polish remover via soak off or foil wrap removes my repair patch without any difficulty.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

It lives up to its promise -- repairing your nail. But the container of powder is very small. I have long nails and it was difficult to fit my nail inside to roll it around to apply the powder. You can't beat the price, though!

- It's easy to use paint glue + dip in powder

- It can be extremely durable but this also depends on the severity of repair & care.

- The costs is lower than less effective alternatives (~$9)

- The packaging is simple but accurately details the contents, function and instructions. It's well structured slotting a shelf for the glue and a divider-style lid to hold powder + mini-file below. It provides enough xtra space to keep a few cotton balls/etc. squished in and opens easily.

- It really performs miracles on damaged nails. I've been using this the last 3 yrs & all the options I've tried really aren't practical or effective for me. It has faithfully repaired numerous cracks and completely broken nails until they had grown out (I switch polish evry 2wks).

- My hang-ups are with the glue-to-powder ratio; they need a bigger bottle of glue or offer to sell additional bottles alone. I also wish it was sold in more stores.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

The background:
Last week, I got a shellac manicure and had gone in with a broken thumb nail (horizontal tear 1/3 down from the tip). The salon wanted to use glue, but I knew glue wouldn't be enough. Because I insisted, the salon repaired my nail with a teeny tiny sliver of silk wrap and charged me 3$! Given how small the silk wrap had been, I knew the repair job wouldn't last. Less than a week later, my nail had cracked in the same place, but worse.

I did some research on Pinterest and decided to buy silk wraps, which seemed like an easy DIY. I missed getting to my local beauty supply store before it closed. So, I headed to Shoppers Drug Mart and picked up the only repair kit they sold - the Orly Nail Rescue kit. The kit comes with a bottle of brush-on glue, a jar of acrylic powder and a buffer tool. I decided to get it, since I remembered reading reviews on MUA. I wasn't too keen on using acrylic at home but I was desperate!

The review:
Based on what I learned reading other reviews on MUA, I decided not to follow the kit's instructions. I brushed some glue onto the crack (clean, dry nail) and pushed the crack down into place with a nail tool. I sprinkled a little acrylic powder over the just-glued area, and had a paper towel underneath to catch spills. After tapping my finger to dislodge any excess powder, I waited about 5 minutes for my nail to dry. It felt dry to the touch, so I sanded down the area with the buffer tool that came in the kit. The buffer worked just fine and it took a few minutes to buff the area smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my nail looked great and felt very stable. To be safe, I added one more layer of support. So far so good, it's been three days since I repaired my nail and no signs of the crack. I was also happy that neither the glue nor the powder have a strong odor.

The conclusion:
Overall, this product was easy to use (even with my left hand) and I was very happy with the end result. So long as you lay something out to catch powder spills and you carefully apply the glue to avoid your skin, you'll be fine! The one downside (minus one lipstick) is the product's price. I read other reviewers who got this kit for half of what I paid. I paid 15$ at Shoppers (Toronto, ON, Canada). Next time, when I repurchase this product, I will shop around for a better price!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this product in an effort to save my nail from essentially falling off after a bad injury to my right big toe. That was a little over a year ago. I had not one but two breaks in the nail - one at the middle of the nail which went almost half way across (horizontally) and also at the base where the nail had buckled and later split as it grew out (sorry if this is gross but I figured it was relevant to the product review). I thought I might lose the nail but I really didn't want that to happen, so I bought this as a last resort. This product does work. It comes with a very strong nail glue, silica dust to seal the break and a file for smoothing out the area afterward. I used it for almost a year - the amount of time it took to completely grow out the nail - and was able to save it from ripping off. The only downsides are that the silica dust is a bit messy to apply - it gets everywhere when you open the container, and also I usually had to repair the break every 2 weeks or so. I did not paint over the breaks because they were well below the quick, the most I did was use base coat over the repair toward the end which also seemed to help it adhere to the nail. I'm just very pleased that I was able to grow out the nail without losing it, because that would have been painful. Highly recommend this product.

I always cut myself with the potato peeler; it never fails. This time I missed my skin and it cut my middle finger nail on the side. It cut it about as far back as it could so there is no way I can cut it plus it keeps catching onto everything. I tried mending it with a teabag like I normally do but it wasn't holding for me this time; it kept splitting. So I tried my had at this and I can't believe how strong it is and how smooth the application was! Definitely a life saver!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

An HG for sure! My index finger has a semi-permanent vertical split down to the quick and even past it as the nail bed is damaged all the way to the cuticle. There's plenty of great ideas here already on how to use, but l will say that if you have a repetitive split l've had great success leaving this stuff on for a month whilst oiling with solar oil. My nail splits much less now. I even leave it on whilst using nail clippers. If you're careful you can partially trim it down and the rest will hold true.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is great. Really easy to apply with help to the instructions (there really isn't a learning curve). Paint your damaged nail with the glue, stick it in the pot & sand it down when dry.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Saved my nails. I have nails that are prone to splitting, horizontally, right where the white of the nail starts. I used to use nail glue and a section of tea bag, but the glue I had just wasn't great and the patch was always visible. It also didn't last long. This stuff is easy to use, and lasts! It's difficult to fix a split that starts on the side of the nail, but this stuff does an awesome job once you can get the hang of it. The "hard" part is getting a thin coat of the glue to go only where you want to patch, so avoiding your skin. Then buff it smooth and apply nail polish. I use gel polish over it and it seems to use a bit more base coat, but my nails are completely smooth after applying the top coat. It saved two nails just this week (I type a lot). I highly recommend this to ANYONE as it is possible to accidentally break a nail, so as long as it's still holding on, you can fix it with this stuff :)