CLINIQUE Brush-On Cream Liner in Violet Luxe

No Image

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i went to my clinique counter looking to buy the black cream liner and the saleslady showed me "violet luxe" and i fell in love. took it home and immediately tried it out and i love it! (i threw away the crappy lil brush that came with it and used my eyeliner brush). paired with taupe shadow (from ulta) it made my dark blue eyes really pop! that and its water park tested, (lasted through an entire day at rapids water park, here in south florida.)
will buy again!

on 12/8/2009 10:44:00 AM

I have had good luck with this liner.

For me, it is easy to apply and the violet color is dark enough to give me the defined look I like. I normally wear shu uemora in the dark brown and love it. It is nearly black just not so stark on me. I really like the way this liner stays on and has not smeared or flaked on me.

I will continue to use the shue uemora in the dark brown but will repurchase this liner to alternate with depending on how I feel on any given day.

Will purchase again!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really love cliniques cream liners, especially in black, they are very easy to use and very pigmented. When i saw this in purple i just had to have it! the color is very pretty, its a deep purple, but when i put it on it just wasnt dark enough for me. its still a very pretty purple color though, sort of metallic, but i think i will just stick to my black. If you dont mind more subtle eyeliners then this is definitely for you.

on 10/20/2009 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Please click "continued" to see my swatches!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There has been a lot of hype over Clinique's new Violet Luxe Brush-On Cream Liner (LE with the Winter 2009 Black Tie Violets collection) on the MUA Makeup Board, so I was extremely excited to get it when I found out my Nordstrom had it in-stock and available for sale last week. I hurried over there and picked it up after very briefly checking out the tester, as I've only had good experiences with the Clinique cream liners and could clearly see that the Violet Luxe color was gorgeous.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much where my excitement ended. I took it home, tried it on my eyes that night, and found - to my frustration - that it just wouldn't go on evenly. I kept trying to layer it, but consistently ended up with a sheer purple line with a super thin, darker line just above it where the product kind of clumped up... not attractive (you know, almost like what you see when someone has applied false eyelashes too far from their lash line - there's a visible gap between the lash line and the line of product).

I tried to swatch it on my arm tonight, and experienced the same problem. This eyeliner is just not very pigmented, period. I gave it 3 lippies overall because the Violet Luxe color really is stunning, but the quality of this particular cream liner shade is majorly lacking. I have it compared to a few other cream eyeliners in the swatch picture below - you can see how it's easily the least pigmented of the four, and that's after I layered it on as thickly as I could (seriously). Sad to say it, but I think this is going back to Nordstrom! :(

continued >>