Kate Somerville Eradikate Acne Spot Treatment

Kate Somerville Eradikate Acne Spot Treatment

Sulphur, Isopropyl Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Camphor, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Salicylic Acid, Iron Oxides.

on 11/14/2010 6:28:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

HG spot treatment! What can I say that already hasn't been said? This product is one of *the* best sulfur products I've ever used (Murad's sulfur spot treatment was pretty good but way too drying) At the time when I was considering purchasing this, I was pretty desperate to get rid of some persistent moderate acne on my cheeks and jawline. After reading the raving reviews here and on sephora, I decided to give it a shot and am so glad I did! It takes down the swelling in less 24-48 hours and by the end of the third day even the most persistent spot is ..well eradicated! For such amazing quality, the price is definitely worth it. Will repurchase again and again and again. I buy direct from the kate sommerville site rather than sephora because of the free shipping and discount code you can use <3

*****EDIT******* 12/7/10 - This officially made my face clear by 90% :D

BUT. I had found a drugstore dupe for this! Bye Bye Blemish has almost identical ingredients for half the price!

Eradikate 1 oz: 10% Sulfur, Ispropyl Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Camphor, Magnesium, Aluminum Silicate, Salicylic Acid, Iron Oxides

Bye Bye Blemish 1 oz: Sulfur (10%), Isopropyl Alcohol, Water (Aqua), Zinc Oxide, Salicylic Acid, Camphor, Aluminum Magnesium Silicate, Iron Oxide (CI 77491)

As you can see ByeBye Blemish has their SA higher up on the list and includes Water as one of its ingredients, but there's still 10% sulfur and Iso Alcohol! Wish I'd known this before splurging on Somerville. However if you sign up for their newsletter there're occasional big sales (like the last black friday sale where everything was 30% off) and shipping is almost always free (I ended up paying $16.90) then it's not a huge difference in price if you buy Somerville over ByeBye Blemish since you'd have to pay shipping/handling for the latter.

on 1/27/2015 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product helps bring down the inflammation of cystic acne and huge zit outbreaks overnight. It will shorten the life span and reduce the pimple size, but it won't make it disappear overnight (there probably isn't any product that could actually do this anyway). So it's effective and does the best medication could do for pimples.

This product contains mostly isopropyl alcohol liquid in it and then sulfur sediment at the bottom of the bottle. To use this, you will need to dip your q-tip all the way to the bottom to pick up the sediment. Since this product contain alcohol, it evaporates pretty quickly. Make sure every time you open the bottle to use the product, close the lid right away afterwards. The alcohol will still evaporate much sooner than you finishing all the product from the bottom. To prolong/make the most of the product, buy some isopropyl alcohol from your local drugstore/pharmacy and add it to the bottle. Doing this will allow the product to last a very long time for you which will make the price more worth it.

The product is pretty pricey for what looks to be a small bottle. However the bottle lasts for a very long time, especially if you add the isopropyl after it is mostly evaporated. Overall, would recommend!

This is literally the best spot treatment i have ever tried! I don't have problem skin at all but have those pesky monthly breakouts no matter how balanced and clean my face is. Annoying as hell and why have tried about every spot treatment out there to make my blemishes disappear without overdrying that area like all spot treatments with benzyl peroxide do. I understand people use that because they want their pimple dried out but you can accomplish that with gentle and non harsh things like Salicylic Acid and Sulfur which are the best ingredients you can use for blemishes. I was a huge fan of sulfur especially as not only does it heal blemishes but also keeps the same ones from coming back in the same spots and especially the under the skin bumps we all get now and then. For years my HG was DDF Sulfur mask which I also used as a spot treatment at night, however hated that it doesn't leave your skin feeling smooth, difficult to wash off, and would always crumble off on my pillow lol.
I was so happy to run across Eradikate which is really the only product I like from Kate Somerville's way overpricced line. It is the only liquid sulfur product I have seen and has a high amount. It comes in a glass bottle that is pink of the bottom half and the top half is alcohol, You just dip in a cotton swab from bottom to top (never shake the bottle). Anyhow this is the most effetive spot treatment I have ever used and is my hg staple at night as it leaves pink dots on your face. It dries instantly and never comes off on my pillow and washes off with pure ease in the morning unlike using certain clay masks and your blemishes are gone or 10 times smaller and not red anymore. This product has effective ingredients and truly works without drying your skin out. Try it! :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

A sulfur, zinc oxide, salicylic acid, and camphor solution is a great addition to any skin care arsenal when a stubborn pimple arises despite your best efforts in preventative skin care. If you've got a nasty zit that you can't get rid of, this concoction is great for reducing the severity of the breakout. I wouldn't say to expect miracles, like how some people claim it makes their pimples go away overnight, but it definitely can help reduce the size, swelling, and duration of the acne spot. Simply use a cotton swab to apply to the affect spots and leave on for as long as possible or overnight. Don't be too eager and apply this more than once a day you'll just end up drying out your skin which could potentially increase irritation and make the breakout worse.

INGREDIENTS:
Active Ingredient: Sulfur 10%; Inactive Ingredients:Isopropyl Alcohol, Water/Aqua/Eau, Camphor, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Salicylic Acid, Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947).

NOTE: You'll want to take extra care if you're going to apply this solution anywhere near or above your eye area as this product will dry into a crust and flake off. I once treated a spot in between my eyes and the product flaked off and got into one of my eyes, causing it to burn. It took a lot of effort to wash out I could see a small crust of pink literally stuck to my eyeball. This is why, if I am applying this product anywhere near my eyes, I will make sure I leave it on for a while and then wash it off instead of going to sleep or laying down, so I have less of a chance of the product flaking into my eyes. Please be careful!

TIP: I noticed that in my bottle of Eradikate, the clear liquid/solution of water and alcohol that floats about the pink substance evaporated completely after a few months. I didn't want the product to eventually dry out completely, so I poured in witch hazel, which is also pretty effective on its own for combatting acne. I noticed this combinations is even more effective on stubborn breakouts. If your bottle is drying out and you want to salvage it, try this!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I am so excited about this product. Until recently, I used the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and while it worked, it did take a few tries before it got rid of my spot. But still, it was the only one that didn't give me that giant, gross, flaky look that other products gave me. I also started working at a different makeup store that didn't carry Mario Badescu, and since I am very loyal to my company, I wouldn't dream of cheating on them with a brand that they didn't carry. : ) I used Murad's spot treatment for a while, and it worked fine except for the excess dryness that I was fully aware would happen. You can imagine my excitement when I came to work and saw this on the shelf. I actually grabbed my manager's sleeve and squealed! Very professional. But I was so relieved that I found something similar, and luckily (kinda) I had a pimple on my cheek that day. I bought it, put in on before bed, woke up, and my pimple was GONE! It worked so so so much better than the Mario Badescu! I was thrilled, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just a one time thing. So, being the brave girl I am, I applied a product that I knew would break me out on the edge of my cheek. Sure enough, spots came, and the following morning, were halfway gone. It was heaven! I shared my experience with the girls at work, and within the next three days, all the Eradikate's in the store were gone, with only one returned. From my experience, to my clients', to other reviewers', one thing is for sure: THIS ONE'S A KEEPER LADIES!

on 10/28/2010 5:15:00 AM

I really like this spot treatment, it's even been effective for a deep cystic pimple IN my nose, it shrunk it over the course of 2 days. You don't shake the bottle, you let the pink stuff settle to the bottom and dip a qtip into the pink sediment and dot it on zits. It's really cheap in comparison to the other kate somerville products, a lot of which are just ridiculously over priced... $65 for a tiny bottle of "hydrating serum" which is basically just silicone... get the fuck outta here! I also love the anti bac clearing lotion ($39) which really flattened out my acne to the point where I only have to spot treat with the eradikate. Be warned though, this stuff smells AWFUL, when you first dot it on all your smell is the camphor/menthol but once it dries down and you wake up the next morning it stinks because of the sulfur, and the worst part is the smell lingers on your face to the point where people nearby can smell it...

UPDATE:
Had to return this.... although it did shrink my acne, the stink that lingered was unbearable and the product gave me a headache.... really weird.

on 10/16/2012 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I've tried a lot of acne treatments and so far I really like this one. It does shrink the acne, though I might not say overnight. I think it also helps heal open ones faster, at least it feels like it does. Be warned that if you put it on a 'popped' pimple or other cut it will sting and they might even advise against it, but it doesn't bother me and I feel it helps (actually, I think it works better when they're open...).

As far as how to use it, it says don't shake it, and at first I was confused. So I swirled it lightly, lol. That's not what I was supposed to do. You are supposed to dip the cotton swab IN through the clear liquid into the thicker sediment on bottom and tap off excess. Then you put that on. I think the reason there is liquid is so it doesn't dry out and turn into a powder, but if you mix it, the sediment is diluted and less strong and therefore less effective. It should go on pretty thick, not watery. And it crumbles a little as it dries.

This is not a prevention product and yes it smells strongly of sulfur (use an old pillowcase!!), but it's great for overnight wear and I also really like to put a small dab on before makeup so the acne I have doesn't re-infect from being covered with straight makeup. :) It's not that expensive when you take into consideration that it's Kate Somerville and an acne product, and you really only need a little so it lasts. Hope that helps!

Also, to cut my q-tip consumption, I use a very small taklon brush that I wash and reuse. You can get one at a craft store, and use it for other products if you like because it is washable as any other brush would be. :)

Update: Ok, it has been just over a year since I started this and I'd like to update. Firstly, it's not THAT great. My skin was breaking out constantly and this wasn't enough to stop it. Sometimes the pimples would reinfect after using this, which I can't blame this, I just have bad skin. But this isn't for prevention as I mentioned, so if you break out as often as I do, it really won't make your skin clear. I had moved to cheaper brands but it all is the same. This is better for those with occasional break outs since those with heavy break outs will need too much, it will over dry your skin because of the alcohol and people will smell the sulfur on you as well as all over your pillowcase etc. You also should avoid this if you have over exfoliated or have a compromised barrier. In summary, I think sulfur treatments can be great for breakouts but it wasn't worthwhile for me. I went back to a gentle benzyl peroxide treatment and had much better success. If you do choose to use a sulfur, there are cheaper alternatives than this brand.

on 4/12/2017 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is a little messy and has a pretty terrible smell, but man does it mean business. A dab on breakout overnight, and if it isn't gone by morning (it frequently is) it's down in size and redness so that it can easily be covered with makeup. The only bummer is that this is a spot treatment, not something for the whole face. Wish I could use this as a preventative, not just a treatment!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I get a lot of hormonal acne on my chin.. The under the skin pimples that never want to fully pop up.. I was using proactive mask for the longest time which contains 6% sulfur.. I heard of this and read the reviews.. I know sulfur helps my pimples more then anything but the proactive wasn't cutting it anymore.. I tried this last night and a pimple Ive been trying to get rid of for weeks was gone by the morning.. If the product works like this all the time I found my new HG Spot treatment.. Price doesn't bother me at all! So far so good!!

on 3/14/2017 12:53:00 PM

One I keep coming back to. Treats blemishes overnight. Even nasty ones are significantly improved. Agree the smell sucks but I can handle it due to the results.

Popular Face Skincare Products