Savon de Marseille

No Image

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing. I recently bought some direct from the Savon de Marseille website and it's insanely awesome. I bought the Rose flavor. There's nothing artificial at all in this stuff - totally vegan - crushed rose petals in it give the rose scent. The block is pretty big, too. It doesn't melt like American soaps so it will last awhile. The entire shower experience was nothing short of "the cleanest feeling I've ever had."

I have dry skin and it doesn't tighten my skin at all. It's frothy and creamy and rinses amazingly clean. Already it has reduced redness on my face. Never thought I'd put soap on my face, but this is definitely not your typical soap.

There are a lot of imitations out there, so be sure you get actual SAVON DE MARSEILLE. It will be stamped so.

Definitely recommend.

on 5/18/2014 9:00:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I have very sensitive skin and all soaps cause my skin to flare up. But this soap has been amazing and has rid me of the acne and eczema I had on my body, and I also it on my face without causing irritation. As I'm allergic to most shampoos, I made my own out of this soap and it works brilliantly! I am also sensitive to washing detergents, so made my own out of this soap and some baking soda and it works great. Plus, it lasts ages and is great value for money.

on 10/17/2009 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I can't believe this centuries old soap is not listed here on MUA. This soap has been made in France under the same strict conditions since the early 1300s. The formula hasn't changed and it is a tried and true soap formula.

I have been using this soap off and on for many years. It is extremely mild on the skin. There are versions with flowers and essential oils but I continue to use the original fragrance free version. This soap is made mostly from Olive oil. With my skin getting drier and more delicate as I age, I have to be careful with what I use. I can wash my face with this and my entire body. Some people even wash their hair with it. It is great to use on children as it is very mild. I can't count the thousands of dollars I have spent on various etailers and retailers for all sorts of fancy soaps which didn't do much except make the showering experience a little more scented. Once I use up my entire stash of every other soap I am seriously considering buying one the the 80 lb blocks and using this for the rest of my life. Sometimes going back to basics is the best thing for glowing healthy skin. It is available in many sizes from a small bar to big bars to giant blocks you can cut your own bars from. Now I understand why dermatologists recommend this soap. I keep a block inside a mesh soap saver for the shower. Showering is easy and my skin is very happy and not angry at me.

I've read about this soap once at Amazon and also at savon de marseille website and was immediately curious about it. Winters here in Canada are generally harsh on the skin. My son is also suffering from eczema. So I decided to find out where I can find and buy some. Luckily, I found a store online in Toronto that sells gift items from Europe and bought a few blocks of this soap. It doesn't come cheap, but one block lasts a long time. And yes, its absolutely moisturizing and smells so old world.

on 10/17/2009 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

About a year and a half ago, last spring '08, I bought a "cube" of this soap via amazon. At the time, I thought it was pricey, but when it arrived, I changed my mind. It is a big block of soap which is made the old old-fashioned way in Marseille. I use it in my bathtub (I alternate showers and baths) so it gets used a few times a week. There is some sudsing but not an enormous amount which told me it is a good soap. Well, the proof is in the soap: this product does not dry my skin and I can use it on my face. It contains olive oil in no matter what scent you buy. I have used one rose block, one lemon verbena, and one citrus within this space of 18 months. I bought a block for my guest bath, and I will buy another citrus this week.

The size of the soap is a bit unwieldy but I kinda like the idea of this big block (which was cut from gee-normous blocks) being so full of olive oil and natural ingredients. It is not a detergent soap, and though it is said to be fine for hair, I am leery of using it on my hair which tends to be dry and has a hard time being weighed down by oils of any kind.

The price is almost dirt cheap. Shipping brings the cost up since it is a luscious import from the south of France. I buy two at a time, and put the unused block wrapped in tissue paper in a drawer to make use of the heavenly scent.

It is hard for me to think of any reason why someone would not like this soap which is tried and true for centuries from the folks who know how to take care of skin in the dryyyyyy region of Provence.

on 3/14/2012 7:15:00 AM

Savon de Marseille is nothing short of amazing. I recently discovered this little gem at a local beauty shop and decided to do some research on it. Well, after reading all the information online, I quickly went back to the shop and bought few large blocks of it. It is said that this soap has the same old formula that was used back in the middle ages. Only soaps that are produced under the same traditional stringent conditions and formulas can be labeled Savon de Marseille. The blocks I bought contains 72% olive oil, and I use it for both my body and face. Never in a million years would I think i'll ever let soap touch my face, but this soap has changed my entire perspective on soap. It is so gentle, creamy and moisturising!! NEVER DRY. It suds really well, and after my first use, I woke up next morning with a brighter complexion and my skin felt to soft! I'm so tempted to now throw away all the other face and body wash in my stash and just use this from now on. One block will last you for a very long time, and the amazing thing is even if you ended up buying a giant block (they can be purchased up to a 40kg block) and leave it for 10 years, they will still be the same quality and you first bought it.
A must try!!