Physicians Formula Baked Pyramid Matte Bronzer

3.0

on 12/16/2010 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Physicians Formula Baked Pyramid Matte Bronzer in Baked Tan is golden tan, but it's not orange, and it is quite sheer. I think it would flatter an NC10 on up, but it's still not jarring on my skin, which is N5.
The big selling point for me, though, is the gorgeous, gorgeous finish of this product. It's matte--but it's not flat. It's got a unique finish, I think. If I look very closely at the powder in the compact and swatched, I can spot a subtle sheen, with no sparkles. I don't know how they worked out how to make a powder that catches the light like this without putting sparkles in it, but I'm glad they did. Femme Couture at Sally's has some baked products like this that have a similar sheen; I have the highlighter, and it's like a luminous, but matte highlighter, much like this is a luminous but matte bronzer. Gorgeous. If your skintone is naturally tan, you might even find a possible MSFN dupe with this bronzer. Physicians Formula also carries a baked bronzer that is domed with sparkly veining, but I don't recommend the sparkly version of Baked Tan at all. This one is much better! I wouldn't repurchase because I don't love the look of bronzers on my skin anymore, but it's a lovely purchase.
I hate the packaging; like all PF, it's fragile yet bulky. A hot mess.

on 10/12/2009 7:05:00 AM

I went bronzer shopping today and I tried on quite a few but this is the only one I considered buying, Covergirl and Rimmel are too shimmery and I don't believe a natural looking tan should shimmer. Revlon didn't show up and I couldn't find Maybelline. I *think* Prestige was shimmery, but the bronzer was HUMUNGOUS and expensive and I knew I'd never finish it. I really just wanted a matte bronzer to contour.

This comes in two colours - TAN (lighter) and BRONZE (darker). It costs $30 AUD. The packaging is quite cute too, a pyramid! Although most bronzers are quite cute with little suns or beach wave designs.

TAN on me was much too light and unnoticeable, my natural skin tone is already quite tan and it made me look lighter!

BRONZE was the opposite of tan, on my face it made me look too dark and orange. I tried to blend it out a bit (with my fingers, since I didn't have a brush in the store, I was using a tester) and it just .. disappeared.

Why couldn't they have made a medium colour! I really wanted to like this. I might end up getting it anyway, I'm hoping I'll get better results with Bronze and a proper makeup brush.

EDIT: So I caved in and bought Bronze. I applied this with my Ecotools blush brush and well, I look very .. tanned. It actually doesn't make you look orange though, just a natural dark tan. Didn't do much for me in terms of contouring, I'm assuming I just need some practice. Kind of on the fence for this product, but I doubt I'll be repurchasing.

EDIT: Been using this to contour for months now, love it. :) Gives my face more colour especially in winter.

- - -