Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/27/2016 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

While this is a perfectly good file it is so stiff and solid and I dislike the feel of it on my nails when using it. The surface is fine and I don't know the "grit" number but it does leave a nice clean edge and it does a great job with the fine edges. This doesn't really have grit like sandpaper or emery boards, it's a textured stone/crystal file. It does not take off length though and it takes quite a while to work off any significant length so if you are needing to shorten your nails, use another larger grit file intended to remove length first and then use this one for finishing and smoothing the edge. I've had this for a couple of years now and it's still in perfectly good shape and quite usuable but I cringe when trying to use it as it's like nails on a chalkboard or on cardboard. I have a glass file that I prefer over this one so it's getting all the love right now. I wouldn't buy this again as I prefer the glass file but this is a decent product and I don't have any complaints other than the feel of it during use and that is a personal thing not an aspect of the file itself. I do like that it is washable and is very durable and it comes in it's own little protective holder. I've carried this in my pocket, in my purse, tossed it into my carry on bag, and traveled with it a lot over the past couple of years and it still performs like new. I am not 100% certain but I think I picked this up at Sally's Beauty Supply and it wasn't expensive at all. It was more than a package of cardboard/paper emery boards, but it is so much more durable and this can get wet and it will dry off and still be usuable whereas the emery board will warp and peel apart and be useless. I still use it because I carry it in my purse and keep my favored glass file at home, but it's just not my favorite. This is a good product, it does what it is intended to do, and it's quite durable. I have nothing bad to say about this little file.

on 7/17/2014 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

An inexpensive file that polishes well - and leaves a smooth free edge. A must for nail afficianados. Cheaper that other crystal/diamond/glass files and must better than traditional (old school) oxide abrasives. Go get one!

on 3/7/2014 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Other, Medium

I can't believe the Ruby Stone nail file has only a 69 rating as it's the best out there when used correctly. I do my own manicures and this is the only file that does not snag or rough my nails, but produces a perfectly smooth nail edge. My file is over 10 years old (time to replace).

The trick to my strong nails is keeping them trimmed and filing across in one direction (not back and forth). Then gently file the corners of your nail to soften the shape from being too square. I guarantee this method strengthens nails, prevents splitting and the shape grows out evenly.

Hands down better than Swissco for me anyway!

on 9/14/2013 12:35:00 AM

I have purchased many of these over the years. I used to buy the tweezerman ones when I had a retail shop of my own. That is when I discovered these little gems. Now I purchase at Sally's Beauty Supply. Don't even know if tweezerman still supplies these. Anyway, I have nails that peel terribly. That is, unless I use this file every other day to smooth the edges. Using this regularly will seal the layers of the nail and make the nail impermeable to water, which is what leads to peeling. Awesome product. If I ever am unable to purchase I will be crushed.

on 9/13/2013 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I was in the market for a crystal nailfile, and I was actually looking for one more of the glass variety, but when I found this is Sally's, I was curious. At first I thought it was a buffer, but the description revealed it to be a filer. I've been using it for a little while now, and I'm pleased with the results. Although I would not recommend it to be used for nails that need some serious filing, it does a great job of maintaining and existing shape and smoothing out the edges of nails. I like the packaging as well, but it could be vastly improved for better protection in travel.

on 9/18/2012 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This nailfile has been a lifesaver for me recently as a product I was using completely destroyed my nails and I went through a 6 month period where my nails were weak, brittle and peeling like crazy. (See my review on SH Hard as Wraps)
Using this has absolutely transformed my nail edges to make them very smooth and unbelievably strong! I can really feel a difference in how strong and solid they are.
This file should not be used if you want to "file down" but only if you want to seal the edge and create a smooth finish.
Have 2 of them and do not use anything else to file as I love it!

on 8/5/2012 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Trying to file and shape my nails is painfully slow and frustrating. I felt like I was getting nowhere with my nails. Maybe if my nails were already shaped, I would like this file. Another thing that I didn't like is it kept slipping off my nail edge and knocking my nail with the side.

on 8/17/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I am constantly losing my crystal files so after seeing this at a local mom and pop drugstore I snagged it for $2.49 USD. I had two peeling nails from using a disposible emery board after losing my Swissco nail file (the Sally's is 30 min away so I can't just hop over and get a new one). I was able to file it all the way down and I love that the file is shaped with a square edge, making it simple to run along the inside of the free edge to get any rough spots. My tear shape ended Swissco doesn't do this as easily. Compared to the Swissco, it's more gentle but it creates more dust. I think it's a great bang for the buck, I love that I can put it in my purse without worrying about it breaking, and I get the same smooth, matte feeling from using a crystal file. I would definitely recommend this. The package looks like it hasn't been changed in 50 years and to me that's a plus.

on 8/13/2011 2:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

For me, this works like a glass file. No snags, just smooth edges after filing. I actually found this to be less of a hassle than a real glass file, not to mention cheaper. I only paid $3.5US for this while a good quality glass file can cost at least $10US. It's definitely something worth looking into if like me, you broke yet ANOTHER Essie or Nailtek file and have finally come to grips with the fact that you need something sturdier to carry around.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I got this to keep in my purse because my A.S.P. file was too big/fragile. Its cool because it has a little plastic cover, but its kind of not a great cover. Its a little too thick to be practical for short nails like mine. I also would have liked a rougher grit on one side, since the whole thing is fine grit. It was cheap, but not awesome.