Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I still have this palette, and I do use it regularly and I do love it, but I can't help but take off a lippy because the packaging for all of the Book of Shadows palettes is TERRIBLE. The slide out packaging rather than the snap open and shut packaging is frustrating, and having all those empty spots for the eyeliners and the Primer Potion annoyed me. I depotted my shadows 'cause I hated the packaging so much.

I do love the colors, aside from the Midnight Cowboy Rides Again glitterbomb, and still use them now. The quality of these shadows hasn't lasted as well as I'd like - Sphynx barely shows even with primer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Absolutely gorgeous palette. I much prefer this one to the original, most wearable colors IMO. Also not very many glittery shades which is a plus for me as I'm not a big fan of some of UD's overly glittery shades. Some of the glittery ones like gunmetal are also pretty modest, and the glitter it does contain is workable so I still am able to get use out of most of the shades. There are only 2 shades I find to be super glittery: nylon (although still workable, but a lot of fallout) and midnight cowboy rides again (the glitter in this one is ridiculous and just not workable for me).

The exclusive shades like mushroom (gorgeous taupe) and ac/dc (slightly smoky purple) are absolutely gorgeous and hopefully we will see some of them make it into the perm. collection. Overall, the colors work great together, lots of gorgeous looks to be had, and if you can luck out on one of these at close to cost, snatch it up.

This is a great way to try Urban Decay if you never have. This is a nice selection of colors, and very few have the obvious glitter chunks I detest. I have come up with many different eye looks from this palette. The only thing I hate is how much room it takes up in my makeup drawer- it is a but heavy too. A wonderful palette, if you have the chance to get it, do!

on 3/19/2010 1:58:00 AM

I think this palette is great value for the money!! It's a pricier palette but you have to consider that you're getting 16 shadows that are $17 a piece. I like the formulation of these shadows, I think they have great pigmentation and blend nicely. My biggest beef with them is what everyone else hates about them too, and that is the ginormous CHUNKS of glitter Urban Decay insists on ruining their beautiful shadows with and the horrible fallout that results. If you're willing to work around this this palatte is fantastic. Just be warned if you're not a shimmer lover this palette is not going to be for you as all the shadows are shimmer except for perversion (plain black) and some are downright glitterbombs (ahem....midnight cowboy rides again). However, I'm glad I got this as it introduced to shades I would be afraid of and would never have bought individualy (jinx) as well as consisting for the most part of very wearable colours. My favourite is by far sellout, a gorgeous highlight shade that just glows. Coincedentily this is midnight cowboy without the glitter, which is a trend I hope Urban Decay continues with until all the obnoxious glitter is sucked out of every single one of their shadows. The 24/7 liners are awesome, smooth and truely do last forever (even in the waterline). I wish bourbon were a bit more pigmented but that might just be a matter of taste. Packaging is a bit annoying sometimes but very pretty. Only other gripe is that stupid look book. So useless!

on 3/5/2010 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

If you're new to shadows or makeup, I cannot recommend this product highly enough. You get 16 shadows, in sizes large enough to last you for a couple of years at least, and 2 eyeliners, plus a small UDPP!
The colours are highly pigmented, blendable, and soft. Some of them are a bit too glittery for everyday use, but there are some matte and frost finishes in the palette. There is also a good mix of neutral colours (twice baked, sellout, half baked) and vibrant ones (ACDC, midnight cowboy, flipside) so that you can use the palette for many different looks.
Overall, I am very pleased with the product but I wish the packaging was more practical. It's a bit too bulky for my liking; bulkier than it needs to be, at any rate.
=D

on 2/21/2010 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I don't have a lot of Urban Decay products so I found this to be a great start :)
You get a lot of product for the money!
I only wish that there would have been a better selection of matte shades in the palette.
Also, even though the packaging is cute, it's pretty impractical.

I think it's a GREAT buy so I said "yes" to buy it again, even though I don't think I'll ever run out of every shade.

on 2/17/2010 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

For a very long time I couldnt made up my mind whether to purchase it or not, but right now I think its the best make-up purchase Ive made so far. This palette is absolutely amazing and it really got me interersted into Urban Decay makeup. The staying power is great, especially with the primer. The texture of the eyeshadows is just as I like it - very soft, almost creamy. They are even better than Sisley eyeshadows, and they are much cheaper.

BOS2 contains 16 eyeshadows (seven of which are exclusive to this palette) each is 0.03oz/0.8g; two 24/7 eye-pencils in Bourbon (bronze brown) and Zero (black) each is 0.03oz/0.8g and mini Eyeshadow Primer Potion (0.13fl.oz/3.7ml).

The exclusive shades are AC/DC, Nylon, Mushroom, Sphynx, Jinx, Homegrown and Misdemeanor.

I really like the shades theyve decided to put in: first three rows are practically all neutral nuances, while the last row offers slightly edgy shades.

THE SHADES (the swatches of the eyeshadows can be seen in my profile pictures. The eyeshadows are applied very lightly, so the colours are not as vibrant as they are when applied over the primer):

Perversion matte black. Im not really a fan of matte eyeshadows and the pigmentation is comparable to one of my very cheap d/s eyeshadow which is a bit disappointing. 2/5

Gunmetal shimmery gray with slight glitter. I really like this shade, it is a warmer gray and it really sutis me. 5/5

Ectasy shimmery medium dark lilac. 4/5

AC/DC this is true lavender (purplish gray) and one of my favourites in this palette 5/5

Nylon medium dark beige with glitter 5/5

Sellout shimmery champagne beige. Good for highlighting. 5/5

Mushroom shimmery taupe. Another of my favourites 5/5

Sphynx pink with glitter. This is the most pigmented light pink Ive ever seen. Whan I got the palette, I thought it was shimmery, but when I removed top layer of the shadow, I realized that it is packed with glitter (in various colours blue, green, gold), although not as much as MCRA. 5/5

Half Baked shimmery gold. 5/5

Twice Baked dark brown with glitter,but the glitter is barely obvious
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again light beige full of glitter. Well, its actually gold and silver glitter. There is glitter fallout, but I still like how it looks when I apply only small amouunt. 4/5

YDK shade is a bit lighter than nylon and more shimmery 5/5

Jinx shimmery turquoise.Such shade is not something I would usually wear, but its good to have it in my stash to use it when I get bored with neutrals.5/5

Flipside shimmery blueish green. It is too cold to work with my complexion.4/5

Homegrown real green with shimmer. 5/5

Misdemeanor dirty black with green sheen. This is one of the shadows which disappointed me most. When I saw it on the on-line swatches, I thought it would be my favourite, but in fact its nothing special and its very difficult to work with this colour. 2/5

Eyepencils are also wonderful. They are extemely soft, very longwearing and do not smudge(keep in mind that I havent tried them on the waterline, because I dont wear eyeliner there). The pigmentation is wonderful I just need to touch the skin with the pencil and it leaves a well-pigmented line. Zero is black and Bourbon is bronzey brown with very tiny goldish glitter. The pencils are my new HG.

Eyeshadow Primer Potion is another hit, and now I find it wonderful, but I want to test it during summer to give my final grade.

There is also a small booklet which can be found after opening the top cover whith mirror (which is nothing special). There are some very good looks, but I wish it included some step-by-step instructions. They claim there that the instructions can be seen on their web-page, so I checked it, but there were instructions for only one of the looks.
The packaging is cute, but very unpractical. The shadows are in a carboard pull-out drawer which doesnt slide smoothly. In spite of this, BOS2 is a great value and favourite part of my stash.

I love this product...it was a great way to finally try the infamous primer potion as well as their eyeliners. The eyeliners are alright, they don't seem to have the staying power in the waterline that I was lead to believe they did, however. As for the shadows, all are richly pigmented and beautiful, though some are a little high in glitter. "Sellout" is my favourite...so beautiful, and a great highlight. "Half Baked" is also a beautiful golden colour. LOVE this palette. The packaging is a little unnecessarily bulky, however.

My, my, my! I have got this as a Christmas present, and I was so thrilled to finally have it in my hands! The colors are beautiful, and the palette itself has so many looks in only 16 colors! Some of the colors are even only seen in this palette, so it's worth the price. It also comes with the fabulous eyeshadow primer, and two eyeliners. I love the fact that after using the UDPP, you only need a tiny bit of the eyeshadow to show up so vividly. I don't like the packaging as much, but I can deal. My favorite shades have to be Flipside and Homegrown, as well as Ecstasy and Sphynx. It's a huge step up from the first Book of Shadows, and I'm very pleased with the results of this one.

on 1/25/2010 3:33:00 PM

I don't normally like palettes because there are so many colours that I won't use, but I love this palette. I have quite a few single colours from Urban Decay, my only duplicate is YDK, but I wear that so often that it really isn't a problem.
I know a lot of people have a problem with fallout, but I really can't say that I do, so I'm not sure what they are doing. All of these colours are so well pigmented that really all you need to do is place your brush on the shadow or very gently swipe, then make sure you knock off the excess thoroughly and dab or press it on your eye, don't go brushing it back and forth and swirling it around. The colours blend together really well, even for a blending dummy like me - use a clean brush to blend and any fallout stays on the brush and not all over your face.
I always put my UD shadows over the primer potion or a creaseless cream shadow, so maybe that's helping me.
The eyeliners are the best eyeliners out there, smooth, creamy - love love love them
Primer potion, an essential for me, especially with these shadows.

The only downside for me is the packaging, it is so annoying having to open a drawer every time you want to use a shadow, not comfortable to hold, takes up a stupid amount of worksurface and the eyeliners are near impossible to get out without breaking a nail - totally impractical to travel with, a complete and utter nightmare that will get tatty with time and then what do you do? Remove the shadows somehow or just abandon it and get full size versions of the available colours? I can imagine many people who are having trouble with glittery fallout and bright colours AND the stupid packaging will be regretting this purchase, but if you can work around those these are very special shadows