Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/27/2010 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

every girl needs this.
pricey both worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Absolutely gorgeous palette. I much prefer this one to the original, most wearable colors IMO. Also not very many glittery shades which is a plus for me as I'm not a big fan of some of UD's overly glittery shades. Some of the glittery ones like gunmetal are also pretty modest, and the glitter it does contain is workable so I still am able to get use out of most of the shades. There are only 2 shades I find to be super glittery: nylon (although still workable, but a lot of fallout) and midnight cowboy rides again (the glitter in this one is ridiculous and just not workable for me).

The exclusive shades like mushroom (gorgeous taupe) and ac/dc (slightly smoky purple) are absolutely gorgeous and hopefully we will see some of them make it into the perm. collection. Overall, the colors work great together, lots of gorgeous looks to be had, and if you can luck out on one of these at close to cost, snatch it up.

on 4/8/2010 1:04:00 PM

WOW! Colors are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I own the ammo palette and thought that was a gift from the makeup gods, but this is out of this world!!! I adore it!

Words cannot describe how amazing this palette is. BOS II was my first batch of UD eyeshadows, and one has just got to bow down to their amazingness. A year before I got this my friend told me how amazing UD was compared to Dior, Chanel etc... shadows, and being the high end snob that I am, I did not believe her one bit. After owning this, I gotta say that she is totally right, though Dior are still amazing (but pricey). GO UD.

some of the shadows in this pallet are a bit to glittery for me but they are very pigmented and are great with the primer potion

on 3/21/2010 4:36:00 PM

I love this palette. It has 16 eyeshadows which are all very pigmented. The colours are lovely. There are some purples, blues, neutrals and a couple greens. Its great if you have never used Urban Decay before as it really gives you an idea of what their products are like.

Also the two eyeliners and primer potion are brilliant. I had never used an eye primer before until I tried the Urban Decay Primer Potion and I must say that now I wouldn't be without it.

The only thing which I kind of find pointless is the top part of the palette. It lifts up and there is a mirror and a little compartment with a "look book" in it.

I guess it could provide you with inspiration but I wish they would have given tips or how to do the look in the book. Instead its mainly just pictures and a comment on how the author likes the look and things like that. I find it rather pointless to be honest.

Overall though I think that it is a brilliant product and I love all the eyeshadows. It is a very pretty palette which I love and would definitly recommend.

on 3/5/2010 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

If you're new to shadows or makeup, I cannot recommend this product highly enough. You get 16 shadows, in sizes large enough to last you for a couple of years at least, and 2 eyeliners, plus a small UDPP!
The colours are highly pigmented, blendable, and soft. Some of them are a bit too glittery for everyday use, but there are some matte and frost finishes in the palette. There is also a good mix of neutral colours (twice baked, sellout, half baked) and vibrant ones (ACDC, midnight cowboy, flipside) so that you can use the palette for many different looks.
Overall, I am very pleased with the product but I wish the packaging was more practical. It's a bit too bulky for my liking; bulkier than it needs to be, at any rate.
=D

on 2/21/2010 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I don't have a lot of Urban Decay products so I found this to be a great start :)
You get a lot of product for the money!
I only wish that there would have been a better selection of matte shades in the palette.
Also, even though the packaging is cute, it's pretty impractical.

I think it's a GREAT buy so I said "yes" to buy it again, even though I don't think I'll ever run out of every shade.

on 2/17/2010 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

For a very long time I couldn’t made up my mind whether to purchase it or not, but right now I think it’s the best make-up purchase I’ve made so far. This palette is absolutely amazing and it really got me interersted into Urban Decay makeup. The staying power is great, especially with the primer. The texture of the eyeshadows is just as I like it - very soft, almost creamy. They are even better than Sisley eyeshadows, and they are much cheaper.

BOS2 contains 16 eyeshadows (seven of which are exclusive to this palette) – each is 0.03oz/0.8g; two 24/7 eye-pencils in Bourbon (bronze brown) and Zero (black) – each is 0.03oz/0.8g and mini Eyeshadow Primer Potion (0.13fl.oz/3.7ml).

The exclusive shades are AC/DC, Nylon, Mushroom, Sphynx, Jinx, Homegrown and Misdemeanor.

I really like the shades they’ve decided to put in: first three rows are practically all neutral nuances, while the last row offers slightly edgy shades.

THE SHADES (the swatches of the eyeshadows can be seen in my profile pictures. The eyeshadows are applied very lightly, so the colours are not as vibrant as they are when applied over the primer):

Perversion – matte black. I’m not really a fan of matte eyeshadows and the pigmentation is comparable to one of my very cheap d/s eyeshadow which is a bit disappointing. 2/5

Gunmetal – shimmery gray with slight glitter. I really like this shade, it is a warmer gray and it really sutis me. 5/5

Ectasy – shimmery medium dark lilac. 4/5

AC/DC – this is true lavender (purplish gray) and one of my favourites in this palette 5/5

Nylon – medium dark beige with glitter 5/5

Sellout – shimmery champagne beige. Good for highlighting. 5/5

Mushroom – shimmery taupe. Another of my favourites 5/5

Sphynx – pink with glitter. This is the most pigmented light pink I’ve ever seen. Whan I got the palette, I thought it was shimmery, but when I removed top layer of the shadow, I realized that it is packed with glitter (in various colours – blue, green, gold…), although not as much as MCRA. 5/5

Half Baked – shimmery gold. 5/5

Twice Baked – dark brown with glitter,but the glitter is barely obvious
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again – light beige full of glitter. Well, it’s actually gold and silver glitter. There is glitter fallout, but I still like how it looks when I apply only small amouunt. 4/5

YDK – shade is a bit lighter than nylon and more shimmery 5/5

Jinx – shimmery turquoise.Such shade is not something I would usually wear, but it’s good to have it in my stash to use it when I get bored with neutrals.5/5

Flipside – shimmery blueish green. It is too cold to work with my complexion.4/5

Homegrown – real green with shimmer. 5/5

Misdemeanor – dirty black with green sheen. This is one of the shadows which disappointed me most. When I saw it on the on-line swatches, I thought it would be my favourite, but in fact it’s nothing special and it’s very difficult to work with this colour. 2/5

Eyepencils are also wonderful. They are extemely soft, very longwearing and do not smudge(keep in mind that I haven’t tried them on the waterline, because I don’t wear eyeliner there). The pigmentation is wonderful – I just need to touch the skin with the pencil and it leaves a well-pigmented line. Zero is black and Bourbon is bronzey brown with very tiny goldish glitter. The pencils are my new HG.

Eyeshadow Primer Potion is another hit, and now I find it wonderful, but I want to test it during summer to give my final grade.

There is also a small booklet which can be found after opening the top cover whith mirror (which is nothing special). There are some very good looks, but I wish it included some step-by-step instructions. They claim there that the instructions can be seen on their web-page, so I checked it, but there were instructions for only one of the looks.
The packaging is cute, but very unpractical. The shadows are in a carboard pull-out drawer which doesn’t slide smoothly. In spite of this, BOS2 is a great value and favourite part of my stash.

on 2/9/2010 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is an AMAZING palette. I saw it in Ulta and knew I had to have it. I was sad to have missed out on the first Book of Shadows, so when I saw that there was a second volume, I was super excited. The price of the palette may seem a bit high at almost fifty dollars, but when you think about what you are getting, its actually an amazing value. One individual Urban Decay shadow retails for 16 dollars. In this palette, you are getting 16 shadows and spending under fifty dollars. I'd say that's a pretty awesome deal. You get a generous amount of each shadow in the palette, much more than you get in the UD shadow boxes. As for the quality of the shadows, Urban Decay has some of the best shadows you can buy. Most are a slightly shimmery, but not too much so. There are a few that are quite glittery, but they look beautiful on the eye if used correctly and with a primer. The shadows blend like a dream and with sixteen different shades, you can create TONS of different looks. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a great value and who wants to add some variety to their makeup stash.