Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I still have this palette, and I do use it regularly and I do love it, but I can't help but take off a lippy because the packaging for all of the Book of Shadows palettes is TERRIBLE. The slide out packaging rather than the snap open and shut packaging is frustrating, and having all those empty spots for the eyeliners and the Primer Potion annoyed me. I depotted my shadows 'cause I hated the packaging so much.

I do love the colors, aside from the Midnight Cowboy Rides Again glitterbomb, and still use them now. The quality of these shadows hasn't lasted as well as I'd like - Sphynx barely shows even with primer.

on 4/27/2010 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

every girl needs this.
pricey both worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Absolutely gorgeous palette. I much prefer this one to the original, most wearable colors IMO. Also not very many glittery shades which is a plus for me as I'm not a big fan of some of UD's overly glittery shades. Some of the glittery ones like gunmetal are also pretty modest, and the glitter it does contain is workable so I still am able to get use out of most of the shades. There are only 2 shades I find to be super glittery: nylon (although still workable, but a lot of fallout) and midnight cowboy rides again (the glitter in this one is ridiculous and just not workable for me).

The exclusive shades like mushroom (gorgeous taupe) and ac/dc (slightly smoky purple) are absolutely gorgeous and hopefully we will see some of them make it into the perm. collection. Overall, the colors work great together, lots of gorgeous looks to be had, and if you can luck out on one of these at close to cost, snatch it up.

on 4/8/2010 1:04:00 PM

WOW! Colors are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I own the ammo palette and thought that was a gift from the makeup gods, but this is out of this world!!! I adore it!

Words cannot describe how amazing this palette is. BOS II was my first batch of UD eyeshadows, and one has just got to bow down to their amazingness. A year before I got this my friend told me how amazing UD was compared to Dior, Chanel etc... shadows, and being the high end snob that I am, I did not believe her one bit. After owning this, I gotta say that she is totally right, though Dior are still amazing (but pricey). GO UD.

some of the shadows in this pallet are a bit to glittery for me but they are very pigmented and are great with the primer potion

on 3/21/2010 4:36:00 PM

I love this palette. It has 16 eyeshadows which are all very pigmented. The colours are lovely. There are some purples, blues, neutrals and a couple greens. Its great if you have never used Urban Decay before as it really gives you an idea of what their products are like.

Also the two eyeliners and primer potion are brilliant. I had never used an eye primer before until I tried the Urban Decay Primer Potion and I must say that now I wouldn't be without it.

The only thing which I kind of find pointless is the top part of the palette. It lifts up and there is a mirror and a little compartment with a "look book" in it.

I guess it could provide you with inspiration but I wish they would have given tips or how to do the look in the book. Instead its mainly just pictures and a comment on how the author likes the look and things like that. I find it rather pointless to be honest.

Overall though I think that it is a brilliant product and I love all the eyeshadows. It is a very pretty palette which I love and would definitly recommend.

on 3/5/2010 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

If you're new to shadows or makeup, I cannot recommend this product highly enough. You get 16 shadows, in sizes large enough to last you for a couple of years at least, and 2 eyeliners, plus a small UDPP!
The colours are highly pigmented, blendable, and soft. Some of them are a bit too glittery for everyday use, but there are some matte and frost finishes in the palette. There is also a good mix of neutral colours (twice baked, sellout, half baked) and vibrant ones (ACDC, midnight cowboy, flipside) so that you can use the palette for many different looks.
Overall, I am very pleased with the product but I wish the packaging was more practical. It's a bit too bulky for my liking; bulkier than it needs to be, at any rate.
=D

on 2/21/2010 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I don't have a lot of Urban Decay products so I found this to be a great start :)
You get a lot of product for the money!
I only wish that there would have been a better selection of matte shades in the palette.
Also, even though the packaging is cute, it's pretty impractical.

I think it's a GREAT buy so I said "yes" to buy it again, even though I don't think I'll ever run out of every shade.

on 2/17/2010 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

For a very long time I couldnt made up my mind whether to purchase it or not, but right now I think its the best make-up purchase Ive made so far. This palette is absolutely amazing and it really got me interersted into Urban Decay makeup. The staying power is great, especially with the primer. The texture of the eyeshadows is just as I like it - very soft, almost creamy. They are even better than Sisley eyeshadows, and they are much cheaper.

BOS2 contains 16 eyeshadows (seven of which are exclusive to this palette) each is 0.03oz/0.8g; two 24/7 eye-pencils in Bourbon (bronze brown) and Zero (black) each is 0.03oz/0.8g and mini Eyeshadow Primer Potion (0.13fl.oz/3.7ml).

The exclusive shades are AC/DC, Nylon, Mushroom, Sphynx, Jinx, Homegrown and Misdemeanor.

I really like the shades theyve decided to put in: first three rows are practically all neutral nuances, while the last row offers slightly edgy shades.

THE SHADES (the swatches of the eyeshadows can be seen in my profile pictures. The eyeshadows are applied very lightly, so the colours are not as vibrant as they are when applied over the primer):

Perversion matte black. Im not really a fan of matte eyeshadows and the pigmentation is comparable to one of my very cheap d/s eyeshadow which is a bit disappointing. 2/5

Gunmetal shimmery gray with slight glitter. I really like this shade, it is a warmer gray and it really sutis me. 5/5

Ectasy shimmery medium dark lilac. 4/5

AC/DC this is true lavender (purplish gray) and one of my favourites in this palette 5/5

Nylon medium dark beige with glitter 5/5

Sellout shimmery champagne beige. Good for highlighting. 5/5

Mushroom shimmery taupe. Another of my favourites 5/5

Sphynx pink with glitter. This is the most pigmented light pink Ive ever seen. Whan I got the palette, I thought it was shimmery, but when I removed top layer of the shadow, I realized that it is packed with glitter (in various colours blue, green, gold), although not as much as MCRA. 5/5

Half Baked shimmery gold. 5/5

Twice Baked dark brown with glitter,but the glitter is barely obvious
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again light beige full of glitter. Well, its actually gold and silver glitter. There is glitter fallout, but I still like how it looks when I apply only small amouunt. 4/5

YDK shade is a bit lighter than nylon and more shimmery 5/5

Jinx shimmery turquoise.Such shade is not something I would usually wear, but its good to have it in my stash to use it when I get bored with neutrals.5/5

Flipside shimmery blueish green. It is too cold to work with my complexion.4/5

Homegrown real green with shimmer. 5/5

Misdemeanor dirty black with green sheen. This is one of the shadows which disappointed me most. When I saw it on the on-line swatches, I thought it would be my favourite, but in fact its nothing special and its very difficult to work with this colour. 2/5

Eyepencils are also wonderful. They are extemely soft, very longwearing and do not smudge(keep in mind that I havent tried them on the waterline, because I dont wear eyeliner there). The pigmentation is wonderful I just need to touch the skin with the pencil and it leaves a well-pigmented line. Zero is black and Bourbon is bronzey brown with very tiny goldish glitter. The pencils are my new HG.

Eyeshadow Primer Potion is another hit, and now I find it wonderful, but I want to test it during summer to give my final grade.

There is also a small booklet which can be found after opening the top cover whith mirror (which is nothing special). There are some very good looks, but I wish it included some step-by-step instructions. They claim there that the instructions can be seen on their web-page, so I checked it, but there were instructions for only one of the looks.
The packaging is cute, but very unpractical. The shadows are in a carboard pull-out drawer which doesnt slide smoothly. In spite of this, BOS2 is a great value and favourite part of my stash.