Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press

Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press

3.7

Not tested on animals

This product was recommended by my hair dresser after I told her that The Revlon Sleek It flat iron spray left my hair clumpy, gross, and oily. She said she swore by this product, so I decided to give it a try. First off, lets talk about the bottle. It is a large spray bottle with a plastic lid. It is pretty big, so its not the best for traveling. When I first smelled it I thought it was one of the most gross things I have ever smelled, and I was hesitant on applying to my hair. After spraying it, it had a good sweet smell, and I just figured maybe it was from me not shaking it up. It is a dry spray. As soon as I applied it to my hair it wasn't wet ( unlike the L'oreal one) THIS THING FELT LIKE DRY SHAMPOO ALMOST! Not only is it good for flatirons, but also curling. Before using this my curls would become waves before the day was even halfway over, BUT THIS HELD THEM ALL DANG DAY!! Definitely something I would recommend to anyone who asked my opinion.

on 8/9/2016 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got addicted to this stuff when I started Cosmetology school in 2010. Hot off the Press is all around awesome. It smells great, has a cute name lol, gives your hair awesome shine, and most importantly protects your hair from heat styling!

on 6/20/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Makes my hair crunchy and smokes when I use heat tools.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am so conflicted over this product :/

For straightening, its awful. It leaves my hair feeling dry and crispy and dull- not good.

But for curling its really good. It helps hold your curls all day long, and when using this I never have a curl fall flat. The only scary thing is, when I use this spray, my hair will smoke on contact with any hot tool. Scary!

I find that any aersol product just dries my already dry hair out, so I think I will try to heat style with my Paul Mitchell Quick Slip, as that seems to be my miracle product (I have a review on it!)

However, this smells really good, and I have often used it just as a regular hairspray. But I feel like it has no super heat-protecting qualities, usually good heat protectants contain a lot of silicone, and this one doesn't have enough for me to feel like it protects well enough.

on 1/24/2014 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff is amazing! So glad I finally splurged on it (since it is a but pricey) but worth every penny! It smells wonderful and doesn't leave my hair sticky (I will agree with below reviewer - if you find your hair sticky, you're using too much!) If I am flat ironing, I only spray this on the top sections and my hair stays straight, no fly-aways, no frizz and shiny all day! As for curl, I wouldn't say it holds the curl (it needs a little assistance from hair spray) I will forever be using this stuff! Definitely a great purchase!

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This by far is my favorite thermal protection spray! If people are complaining about the product being to sticky they are more then likely spraying too much. You have to quickly and lightly spray the sections you are going to flat iron, once the iron goes over those sections you cant feel any type of stickiness. This product really helps manages frizzy hair and humidity!

on 6/21/2013 4:43:00 PM

I've been using this product for a year. I love it for curling my hair. It's just really quick and easy to use. And I love it's fruity scent :) With some spray on heat protectants, after you apply it you have to wait for the product to dry, but this is an aerosol and it drys right away so that you can curl/ flat iron your hair immediately after applying it. The reason that I rated this 4 out of 5 is that It is not my favorite to flat iron with; It doesnt have give my hair enough sheen.

on 3/22/2013 1:51:00 PM

I've had this product recommended to me quite a few times and I'm very pleased with it. It doesn't make my hair sticky or wet. Infact, I didn't know if it was even coming out at first because it dried so quickly on my hair. Before I flatiron my hair, I will spray it on about 10 inches away from my head quickly and brush my hair. It doesn't feel like I have a heavy product in but it holds the style of my short hair very well.
If my hair were longer, I'm not sure if I would trust this product to hold as well as it does though. My hair is pretty wieghtless as is at the moment so it just gives it an extra bit of control, I suppose.
Overall, I like it and it makes my hair smell great all day long.

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Bought this after seeing TiffanyD use it in her curling iron tutorial.....total waste of money. Makes hair stiff and sticky, doesn't protect anything, hair did not hold a curl any better than when I used my $3 Tresemme hairspray. Plus the nozzle totally clogged after one use. Would NOT recommend.

on 11/20/2012 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

All I can say about this product is, 'wow'! This leaves my hair so silly smooth, smells FANTASTIC, and is so easy and managable.

To the ladies who experienced issues with it, first of all I hope your product was purchased through a salon or hair stylist. Any Paul Mitchell product bought online or in store runs the risk of being counterfeit or contaminated. Also, I find that it works best when I divide my hair into sections, hold the can 10 or so inches from my head, give a light spray, and then comb through my hair before styling. I have never experienced stickiness or wetness with this product.

The price, I think, is fair. I payed around $16 for it, which is more than some drugstore products, but it also works so much better than any drug store product. It's the best styling heat protectant I've used and the price is far less than other high end brands, such as bumble & bumble. Plus, the product lasts. I'd say it is more than worth the price.

Overall, I am in love with this product, and highly suggest it! (P.S. did i mention it smells like fruity candy deliciousness?! ;p)

Popular Styling Products