Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchilly

4.4

on 5/14/2017 7:10:00 AM

I can't believe i haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of the few bottles of nail polish that I finished totally and went back for another bottle. It is one of my favorite colors against my medium olive skin. It's somewhere in the greige family but with a hint of mocha. I have to be so careful with those colors as they can wash me out but this one really enhances my complexion. In the summer, neutral manicure shades like pale pink, nude and whitish can look a little more contrasty on me. This has the same sort of neutrality and sophistication to it, but is much more flattering on me. I have not found any dupes for this and if they ever discontinue it, I'm buying all the bottles I can find. It is one of my top 3 favorite colors of all time.

on 1/23/2013 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a jelly-creme polish that dries to a gray with a touch of lavender. I feel like the sheerness of the polish really adds a feminine touch to a color that would otherwise be very industrial. I love that you can wear this color from fall through spring, since there is a little touch of purple in there.

Formula is thin and translucent, I used 3 thin coats plus a top coat for extra shine. Love it!

on 11/17/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Essie's ChinChilly is the color that I always turn to, it is a quintessential medium gray that is flattering on all nail lengths and skin tones. It is fashion forward and edgy because it s not a traditional pink or red, but conservative enough to wear to a job interview - yes it is that perfect a shade!!
I am obsessed with well tended hands and nails. How one takes care of ones hands speaks volumes about who they are as a person. This color should be in every fashionable lady's rotation.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

My favorite shade for fall! It's a muted purple/gray and I like it because it's a fall color, but I don't like to wear dark fall colors considering they stain my cuticles. This is such a pretty color on any skin tone (I'm NC35) and it's a cream finish which I look for in most polishes. I'm wearing it right now, and I love the name too!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This color is perfect for fall-- but could be worn year round! I'm a huge fan of essie polishes and this one did not disappoint! perfect gray with a bit of purple- flattering on all skin tones!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Bought this yesterday, applied last night and today I got my first chip. Ugh. The color is beautiful-it's straight up gray on me-there is no lavender or taupe as other reviewers have said. The color is much lighter than Metro Chic or Merino Cool as well. I needed three coats to get opaque and no streaks. What is up with the brush? The width is so narrow that I felt like I was using a stick to apply the polish--really disappointed with the brush and the fact that it chipped the first day with a base and top coat. On the upside the color is beautiful. So, would I repurchase? Not sure......

on 11/24/2010 4:11:00 AM

This colour is so beautiful. It will go on really thin, very subtle, or a few coats make it quite outstanding. A lovely grey, really unusual. Lasts very well too, and I seem to do a lot of washing up!

on 10/21/2010 2:04:00 PM

This is the perfect gray polish. I'm not a huge nail polish person, but have totally been into the gray craze. I wasn't too impressed by all the purple-taupe and slate shades out there (Sally Hansen Commander in Chic, Sally Hansen Concrete, Rimmel Steel Grey, Maybelline Gray-T Glamor, etc.). Chinchilly is a true gray - not too light, not too dark, no muddiness, and no competing shades underneath that change it under different lighting. Some of the reviews below state that this is a lilac-gray, but I disagree. If you want a "greige" or lilac-taupe-slate gray, Concrete and Steel Grey are good options. This formula is a little on the sheer side - it needs a good 2-3 coats for true opacity, but once it's on, perfection.

on 9/11/2010 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is my first Essie polish since they've just come to Myer in Australia, but I'll definitely buy more now that I've tried Chinchilly. I love the colour- it feels very chic, fashionable, and "grown up" all at once, and I think it would go well with just about anything. I didn't find the application too bad- it looked good after just two coats (though the first coat was a bit thick, I had a bit of difficulty getting a thin coat on), and I actually found the thin brush gave me a neat application (I suppose I have fairly narrow fingers).

I can't really say much about the staying power- I'm using Sally Hansen Miracle Cure as a "base coat" at the moment and I'm pretty sure it's the reason that the entire nail's worth of polish started to lift at the edges in one giant piece. I haven't had that happen with any of my other polishes, but I know the Miracle Cure makes for some problems since it's actually a nail treatment and not a proper base coat. Due to the odd peeling I had to take it off after 3 days, but aside from some tip wear the polish was unchipped. I'm rather rough on my nails, so this is a pretty good result for me!

EDIT: The peeling was definitely due to Miracle Cure, I didn't have the same problem when I used Essie's first base coat! Also managed to get the first coat thinner and definitely needed 3 coats

on 5/13/2010 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I didn't like it at all.

The formula was so runny I hated it.

The price wasn't too ad b/c it came as a deal with atte About you Top Coat. but Essie is expensive and I wasn't happy with the grey nor the formula. Won't re purchase and will swap.

Popular Polishes