Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchilly

4.4

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I got a mini version of Chinchilly in a set (alongside a mini Forever Yummy and a full-sized Ballet Slippers) called "Forever Young" on clearance at SDM. As with the other mini, Chinchilly had a perfect brush and a ball bearing inside. 2-3 coats left me with a glossy, even manicure. This grey polish with lavender and taupe notes is perfectly-named, and it makes me want to snuggle up with a blanket and a warm beverage! :) This is the best grey polish I've tried. Would repurchase as a mini or, ideally, as a full-sized polish!

on 7/12/2013 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This polish was such a disappointment. It is very streaky, even after 3 coats.

on 7/1/2013 12:10:00 AM

I don't usually paint my fingernails because they always chip the next day. After reading recommendations for Essie, I decided to try again. It reallyis the best polish I've ever used! No chips at all after 5 whole days of heavy activity. Every other polish I've ever tried had at least one chip the first day. On day 4, I could see that the tips were a little bit worn, but evenly worn and definitely not chipped, I have short nails that get a lot of wear and tear from work and chores and am very impressed with this product. I wouldn't think I would've liked this shade, CHINCHILLY, but I read a lot of good reviews about it so I took a chance on it, and I like it so much more than I thought I would. Its a pretty grayish neutral that goes with just everything! I will definitely be getting more colors in the future!!

on 2/2/2013 9:17:00 PM

A friend gave me this because she was trying to break me out of my light pink/nude shades only rut. Although I am quite pale, this is a pretty, pale shade of grey that looks flattering against my skin. I topped it with a silvery glittery she gave me for sort of a disco ball look and it really looks nice. Essie polishes always have a good formula in my experience - smooth, no bubbles, dries fairly quickly and two or three coats (depending on your desired level of opaqueness) works great. Chinchilly is a great shade for those who love grays or don't know that they do yet!

on 2/27/2012 9:13:00 AM

Chinchilly is a warm-toned grey creme on me. Warm-toned because it has a brown hint to it on my NW15-20 skin. it applies nicely but usually needs 3 coats for streak-free opacity. Overall it's a nice color that's very suitable to lots of clothing styles and colors.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Bought this yesterday, applied last night and today I got my first chip. Ugh. The color is beautiful-it's straight up gray on me-there is no lavender or taupe as other reviewers have said. The color is much lighter than Metro Chic or Merino Cool as well. I needed three coats to get opaque and no streaks. What is up with the brush? The width is so narrow that I felt like I was using a stick to apply the polish--really disappointed with the brush and the fact that it chipped the first day with a base and top coat. On the upside the color is beautiful. So, would I repurchase? Not sure......

on 6/21/2011 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This color is very pretty. I'm not sure if it look that great on me so I don't wear it often. It also dried up quickly in the bottle (or maybe I bought an old one?

on 5/15/2011 1:50:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I tried it yesterday for the first time. It looks great, I simply love it. It is the most vivid gray I have ever tried. I do not know if it is easy to apply, I always have my nails done by professionals. The color though is fantastic!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I really love this color, but the streakiness, or number of coats required to make this look good (like most Essie np, IMO), is frustrating. The color is interesting - it has a little duo-chrome or something to it that makes it a lovely taupe-purple-grey. This type of color is a definite fave of mine. However, this requires at least 3 coats to get the true color payoff. I prefer OPI and Zoya for this reason. I find most Essie colors to be streaky, and require a lot of work to get the true color to show. I enjoy this color - I just wish Zoya made colors like this! This was $8 at ULTA.

on 5/2/2011 3:44:00 PM

There is a reason this is on all of the top lists lately...it is versatile, trendy and gorgeous! I am constantly complimented on this and told by many (and I agree) that this is what they wanted OPI You Don't Know Jacques to look like. It is lighter and greyer than Jacques...and simply more versatile in that you can wear it anytime and with anything. It is a favorite for sure.

Popular Polishes