Essie Chinchilly

ChinchillyChinchilly

4.7

on 12/19/2016 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this color for years, but never really wore it, but decided to give it a go after trying "Sand Tropez" and not liking it at all (with my skin tone). This is a great purple grey. I didn't think I'd like it - but once applied, I loved it. I do not think that the Essie site description is correct - I wouldn't call this a granite gray at all - def. has purple tones. Even my boyfriend thought so.

Only downside - it took a full 3 coats to get a decent full coverage opacity. After two coats on my two index fingers, you could still see streaks and some nail peeking through - this was even with a base coat, and one nude coat underneath! Three coats worked great - and then I topped it with a shine coat. Unfortunately, I have a tiny chip on one index nail already - and it's hasn't even been 24 hours. :(

I'm rough with my hands/nails, so it takes a LOT for a nail polish to not chip. However, I love the color and the rest of the nails are holding up, so I may just touch up the spot and see how it does for a full week. Love the color though. FYI- Mochacino is Chinchilly with glitter.

on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of my favourites, and go-to polishes, from my stash of 225-250 regular polishes. When I am being indecisive about what to put on and am stuck on having too many choices, I pull out the Chinchilly! I am very pale (but with warmer undertones) and so many gray/grieges can look a little dead on me, but this has a beautiful lavender tint to it that keeps it warm and lovely. I have a few "similar" polish colours but this one is just something special. On my skin it definitely does pull more of the purple, but not so much it actually looks purple rather than gray.

While it does speak more fall/winter, in that it reminds me of cozy sweaters or something, I don't care and wear it year round as I think it is light enough to pull off. It is a great neutral that can take me from work to play. Not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a very classy colour, and makes even this rather casual woman feel more sophisticated (at least when it comes to my hands!) :)

Formula is good. Easy to work with and does not pool unless you overload the brush (the Essie brush of course is a love/hate with people so judge for yourself, I like the control I get with it, but do like wider brushes in general). It goes on a bit streaky but self-levels REALLY well...I always think the last coat looks too streaky and somehow a couple of minutes into drying it looks perfectly even and glossy. I usually do 3 coats to ensure bald spots are covered and get more depth in the colour. I wear it over clear gel/acrgel base & top, with a RNP base coat and RNP top coat, and easily get one week of wear, and it is one of the few polishes I enjoy so much I don't WANT to take it off after 2-3 days!

I would buy again, and again, and again. I am glad it is part of Essie's core line!

Mid-tone pirple-gray creme. Evens out well. Beautiful color for fingers on fair skin (all I can attest to).

on 10/8/2013 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this color! It is such a muted purple/grey and looks very nice with fair skin.

on 10/8/2013 4:27:00 PM

Love this polish! It is the perfect soft dove-like gray for my cool-toned and very pale skin. I'd call this an edgy neutral given that it doesn't go unnoticed, but is still fairly conservative. I've found this polish also looks great with either SH Glass Slipper or OPI Pirouette My Whistle layered over it.

on 9/19/2013 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this last year and it sat in my untrieds in favor of brighter vivid colors like lime greens, neon pinks, and bright blues. Finally I dug this taupe colored polish out and thought I'd give it a try for fall. This is a pretty taupe-grey leaning shade and reminds me of a pair of khaki slacks. The formula is really thin and this goes on sheer and streaky. It did even out though with a second coat but it took 3 coats to get full opacity and cover any sheer or balded patches. Essie's brush is just a standard thin brush and it is easy to work with and it works especially great for small nail beds like I have. Those big pro brushes are too big and this one is sized just right! The Goldilocks of polish brushes. I love this color now that I have it on. I have been hesitant to wear it since I expected a boring mani and mannequin hands. This is like wearing a pair of khakis though, it just seems to fit and looks good and feels comfortable. I never would have expected I would like taupe polish but I am loving how pretty this creme looks on me. This is very classy and looks elegant and refined. Great for the office and being taupe instead of beige it is far from boring and even a little edgy. I can't believe I let this beauty sit for so long without showing it off. This is perfect for fall so I painted all ten digits!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Lovely colour, good and even application, and a nice brush, which makes application easy.

on 1/8/2013 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Probably my favourite nail polish I own, for the price it was totally worth it. I own many other nail polishes by Essie (with mixed feelings) but this one was amazing. It is a very sophisticated colour, and looks good at any occasion - it is also so smooth, quick drying very ungloopy. I love it - highly recommend it!

I LOVE this colour! I get compliments whenever I wear this nail polish. It's a nice neutral grey and I find like almost all Essie polishes it is of fantastic quality. I only have to apply 2 coats.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This polich was an impulse buy! I have seen Essie colors ALL OVER PINTEREST and thought I'd finally give it a try. I'm a Florida girl, so light pinks and peaches are my usual, summery type color. This is a big change for me, but it went on like butter! It's super smooth - I don't even think I'll need a topcoat. Overall, I'm really happy with it. For $8, it was worth it. I'd rather pay $8 for a decent nail color that goes on easily than a $40 manicure.

Popular Polishes