Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

on 11/22/2015 7:07:00 AM

I love Chinchilly! It is a beautiful cool toned greige, more grey than your standard taupe colour. It applies evenly and easily, opaque in two coats and has excellent staying power. It dries quickly and is very chip resistant, like most of my other Essie polishes. This is a very chic colour which is ideal in Autumn but can be worn all year round with the right outfit. It is a classy colour which I also think would be work appropriate. A lovely colour and a great formula, what more do you want?! This is a cult shade and I can definitely see why, and I would recommend that others try it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Chinchilly is a beautiful medium purple-toned greige shade on me. Unfortunately, I can't give this shade a 5 because the formula isn't up to par with my expectation of Essie polishes. The one real flaw? Sheer and streaky. It takes 3 fuller coverage coats to even it out, and I don't really care for that. I'm looking for 2 coats and done. However, that said, I adore the color at 3 coats, and beyond that, it performs like a typical Essie polish. I use Orly Bonder and Out the Door topcoat, and I can get 4-5 days before it chips which is amazing since I'm a mom and constantly washing my hands.

on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of my favourites, and go-to polishes, from my stash of 225-250 regular polishes. When I am being indecisive about what to put on and am stuck on having too many choices, I pull out the Chinchilly! I am very pale (but with warmer undertones) and so many gray/grieges can look a little dead on me, but this has a beautiful lavender tint to it that keeps it warm and lovely. I have a few "similar" polish colours but this one is just something special. On my skin it definitely does pull more of the purple, but not so much it actually looks purple rather than gray.

While it does speak more fall/winter, in that it reminds me of cozy sweaters or something, I don't care and wear it year round as I think it is light enough to pull off. It is a great neutral that can take me from work to play. Not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a very classy colour, and makes even this rather casual woman feel more sophisticated (at least when it comes to my hands!) :)

Formula is good. Easy to work with and does not pool unless you overload the brush (the Essie brush of course is a love/hate with people so judge for yourself, I like the control I get with it, but do like wider brushes in general). It goes on a bit streaky but self-levels REALLY well...I always think the last coat looks too streaky and somehow a couple of minutes into drying it looks perfectly even and glossy. I usually do 3 coats to ensure bald spots are covered and get more depth in the colour. I wear it over clear gel/acrgel base & top, with a RNP base coat and RNP top coat, and easily get one week of wear, and it is one of the few polishes I enjoy so much I don't WANT to take it off after 2-3 days!

I would buy again, and again, and again. I am glad it is part of Essie's core line!

on 9/12/2014 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Essie Chinchilly is a very pretty dove grey polish, which leans towards a soft lavender colour in certain lights. This neutral colour polish will go with anything! Applied smoothly in just 2 coats and stayed chip free until I took it off a week later. It was beautifully shiny but I added Essie’s Good to Go top coat for good measure!

on 2/2/2013 9:17:00 PM

A friend gave me this because she was trying to break me out of my light pink/nude shades only rut. Although I am quite pale, this is a pretty, pale shade of grey that looks flattering against my skin. I topped it with a silvery glittery she gave me for sort of a disco ball look and it really looks nice. Essie polishes always have a good formula in my experience - smooth, no bubbles, dries fairly quickly and two or three coats (depending on your desired level of opaqueness) works great. Chinchilly is a great shade for those who love grays or don't know that they do yet!

on 1/30/2013 2:56:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

After testing nearly every neutral shade on the Essie stand in Boots I eventually went for Chinchilly and am very happy with the decision. Outside of the fluorescent lighting in the store the colour was much greyer than I originally thought. Natural lighting brings out a slight lavender undertone which adds another element to the shade whist still remaining unobtrusive enough to suit any occasion. The polish includes the usual extra wide brush which I love but others can find more difficult to use especially on narrower nails. I found that 2 - 3 coats were needed for a real opaque coverage and with base and top coats the polish lasted for a good 4 days with minimal tip wear.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this shade. I agree with all reviews below: opaque with 2 coats, universally flattering shade, office-friendly, and it always seems to be in season each fall. If I had to choose only 5 polishes from my 70-polish collection to keep, this would be one of those 5.

Amazing neutral shade-a subtle yet dynamic gray. Worth it!

on 11/17/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Essie's ChinChilly is the color that I always turn to, it is a quintessential medium gray that is flattering on all nail lengths and skin tones. It is fashion forward and edgy because it s not a traditional pink or red, but conservative enough to wear to a job interview - yes it is that perfect a shade!!
I am obsessed with well tended hands and nails. How one takes care of ones hands speaks volumes about who they are as a person. This color should be in every fashionable lady's rotation.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous medium gray with a lavender undertone. This Is what I wanted essie's merino cool to be! This color is really pretty; not too dark for spring nor too bright for fall. Very chic color. Formula was buttery and amazing and all I needed was 2 coats to get my desired opaque look. Def would repurchase this color!

Popular Polishes