Essie Chinchilly

4.5

on 12/3/2018 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have this on even as I type this review. Long one of my favorite nail polish colors, Chinchilly is a great color for all year wear. It has subtle shimmer to it and is a taupish color that is very flattering to my pasty white skin color. I wear my nails short most of the time but vary my polish. This is always in my collection.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

lavendar mid-putty grey

Pros:
- neutral
- for conservative work environment
- elegant
- better for NC20 and lighter
- non-streaky after two coats
- small bottle for easy storage; brush is small enough for small nails but wide enough for non-streaky application

Cons:
- too muddy and darkening on my NC25-30 yellow skintone

I love the color, this is my absolute favorite for the the transition into fall. However, even with a base coat, 3 applications of polish (it is a bit thin and streaky) and a topcoat, it still chipped quickly, I would expect more from a $7+ bottle of polish. I will definitely shop for a dupe and try another brand, hopefully Revlon has a copycat color as over the last 30 years of doing my own nails, Revlon is still my favorite polish for color saturation, wearability, and price point (if on sale). Anyone know of a tried and true dupe?

on 12/19/2016 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this color for years, but never really wore it, but decided to give it a go after trying "Sand Tropez" and not liking it at all (with my skin tone). This is a great purple grey. I didn't think I'd like it - but once applied, I loved it. I do not think that the Essie site description is correct - I wouldn't call this a granite gray at all - def. has purple tones. Even my boyfriend thought so.

Only downside - it took a full 3 coats to get a decent full coverage opacity. After two coats on my two index fingers, you could still see streaks and some nail peeking through - this was even with a base coat, and one nude coat underneath! Three coats worked great - and then I topped it with a shine coat. Unfortunately, I have a tiny chip on one index nail already - and it's hasn't even been 24 hours. :(

I'm rough with my hands/nails, so it takes a LOT for a nail polish to not chip. However, I love the color and the rest of the nails are holding up, so I may just touch up the spot and see how it does for a full week. Love the color though. FYI- Mochacino is Chinchilly with glitter.

on 9/15/2015 12:10:00 AM

Well I'am trying this out for the first time. I don't think the whole greige thing works well on my skin but this had great reviews. I tried master plan but pulled way too beige on me... Looked horrible so I will let you know how this works out. I do tend too look better in bright or dark (vampy) but trying to find a color that can take the transition into fall. Well luv it!!! I got so many compliments in this. A strange grey color with a hint on purple. I got lots if compliments. Will wear this into fall!! This is a cult color for a reason!!! Possibly one of the greatest grey polishes out there and trust me i know! I have been doing my nails 3 x a week for over 20 years and have over 300 polished from Essie, OPI to Chanel and Mac! This one is a keeper and a buy a back up one!!!!

on 9/12/2014 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Essie Chinchilly is a very pretty dove grey polish, which leans towards a soft lavender colour in certain lights. This neutral colour polish will go with anything! Applied smoothly in just 2 coats and stayed chip free until I took it off a week later. It was beautifully shiny but I added Essie’s Good to Go top coat for good measure!

on 2/20/2014 3:28:00 PM

Best colour for the office and virtually anywhere. I'm currently on my second bottle of this grey/lavender polish and I love it!! It's my go to polish for work, casual and dressy events. Can't rave enough about this. I agree that 3-4 coats are needed for full colour without streaks but I'm more than willing to do it for this colour.

on 11/25/2013 1:32:00 AM

very pretty color, but not the best formula. two coats still look patchy and needed the third. doesn't make my hands look dead. worth the effort. Essie got the shade just right

on 8/16/2013 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been avoiding this color. I weakened and went griege. omg, it looks wonderful with my jewelry, silver/gold. It does seem to change color slightly with differnt lighting I get the usually 3 days before chipping. the same with all my essie.

on 1/8/2013 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Probably my favourite nail polish I own, for the price it was totally worth it. I own many other nail polishes by Essie (with mixed feelings) but this one was amazing. It is a very sophisticated colour, and looks good at any occasion - it is also so smooth, quick drying very ungloopy. I love it - highly recommend it!

Popular Polishes