Essie Chinchilly

ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

lavendar mid-putty grey

Pros:
- neutral
- for conservative work environment
- elegant
- better for NC20 and lighter
- non-streaky after two coats
- small bottle for easy storage; brush is small enough for small nails but wide enough for non-streaky application

Cons:
- too muddy and darkening on my NC25-30 yellow skintone

I love the color, this is my absolute favorite for the the transition into fall. However, even with a base coat, 3 applications of polish (it is a bit thin and streaky) and a topcoat, it still chipped quickly, I would expect more from a $7+ bottle of polish. I will definitely shop for a dupe and try another brand, hopefully Revlon has a copycat color as over the last 30 years of doing my own nails, Revlon is still my favorite polish for color saturation, wearability, and price point (if on sale). Anyone know of a tried and true dupe?

on 5/14/2017 7:10:00 AM

I can't believe i haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of the few bottles of nail polish that I finished totally and went back for another bottle. It is one of my favorite colors against my medium olive skin. It's somewhere in the greige family but with a hint of mocha. I have to be so careful with those colors as they can wash me out but this one really enhances my complexion. In the summer, neutral manicure shades like pale pink, nude and whitish can look a little more contrasty on me. This has the same sort of neutrality and sophistication to it, but is much more flattering on me. I have not found any dupes for this and if they ever discontinue it, I'm buying all the bottles I can find. It is one of my top 3 favorite colors of all time.

on 9/25/2016 4:00:00 AM

My fave nreutral polish...i wear it year round honestly its a beautiful chich color.. i get complimemts on it. Looks great on dark skin nw45 for reference

on 11/22/2015 7:07:00 AM

I love Chinchilly! It is a beautiful cool toned greige, more grey than your standard taupe colour. It applies evenly and easily, opaque in two coats and has excellent staying power. It dries quickly and is very chip resistant, like most of my other Essie polishes. This is a very chic colour which is ideal in Autumn but can be worn all year round with the right outfit. It is a classy colour which I also think would be work appropriate. A lovely colour and a great formula, what more do you want?! This is a cult shade and I can definitely see why, and I would recommend that others try it.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

A very pretty soft gray tone. It has really great coverage with one coat, but I use two. It lasts the same as other polishes.

on 9/15/2015 12:10:00 AM

Well I'am trying this out for the first time. I don't think the whole greige thing works well on my skin but this had great reviews. I tried master plan but pulled way too beige on me... Looked horrible so I will let you know how this works out. I do tend too look better in bright or dark (vampy) but trying to find a color that can take the transition into fall. Well luv it!!! I got so many compliments in this. A strange grey color with a hint on purple. I got lots if compliments. Will wear this into fall!! This is a cult color for a reason!!! Possibly one of the greatest grey polishes out there and trust me i know! I have been doing my nails 3 x a week for over 20 years and have over 300 polished from Essie, OPI to Chanel and Mac! This one is a keeper and a buy a back up one!!!!

on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of my favourites, and go-to polishes, from my stash of 225-250 regular polishes. When I am being indecisive about what to put on and am stuck on having too many choices, I pull out the Chinchilly! I am very pale (but with warmer undertones) and so many gray/grieges can look a little dead on me, but this has a beautiful lavender tint to it that keeps it warm and lovely. I have a few "similar" polish colours but this one is just something special. On my skin it definitely does pull more of the purple, but not so much it actually looks purple rather than gray.

While it does speak more fall/winter, in that it reminds me of cozy sweaters or something, I don't care and wear it year round as I think it is light enough to pull off. It is a great neutral that can take me from work to play. Not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a very classy colour, and makes even this rather casual woman feel more sophisticated (at least when it comes to my hands!) :)

Formula is good. Easy to work with and does not pool unless you overload the brush (the Essie brush of course is a love/hate with people so judge for yourself, I like the control I get with it, but do like wider brushes in general). It goes on a bit streaky but self-levels REALLY well...I always think the last coat looks too streaky and somehow a couple of minutes into drying it looks perfectly even and glossy. I usually do 3 coats to ensure bald spots are covered and get more depth in the colour. I wear it over clear gel/acrgel base & top, with a RNP base coat and RNP top coat, and easily get one week of wear, and it is one of the few polishes I enjoy so much I don't WANT to take it off after 2-3 days!

I would buy again, and again, and again. I am glad it is part of Essie's core line!

on 1/3/2015 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Well since Sally Hansen's Miracle Gel has all my nails peeling in a hundred layers, I needed something to cover up the ugliness. This is a great grey polish which when topped with a glossy topcoat shines like the sun. Very pretty on my short, short nails (til the ugly grows out). Even tried it with a matte topcoat which was pretty cool and very different. Good product Essie!

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I got a mini version of Chinchilly in a set (alongside a mini Forever Yummy and a full-sized Ballet Slippers) called "Forever Young" on clearance at SDM. As with the other mini, Chinchilly had a perfect brush and a ball bearing inside. 2-3 coats left me with a glossy, even manicure. This grey polish with lavender and taupe notes is perfectly-named, and it makes me want to snuggle up with a blanket and a warm beverage! :) This is the best grey polish I've tried. Would repurchase as a mini or, ideally, as a full-sized polish!